Thread: Speed twin - anyone have any thoughts?

Bike
    750 auw

Speed twin - anyone have any thoughts?

Hey all,

Has anyone had any firsthand (or otherwise) experience riding the Speed Twin on NZ roads and willing to share your thoughts? I've read the Bike magazine review, but it seems if you stick a Triumph sticker on anything they'll gush harder than a recently hydrated hooker.

Many churs.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    Hey all,

Has anyone had any firsthand (or otherwise) experience riding the Speed Twin on NZ roads and willing to share your thoughts? I've read the Bike magazine review, but it seems if you stick a Triumph sticker on anything they'll gush harder than a recently hydrated hooker.

Many churs.
    the sprung hub bearings are hard and expensive to get but they certainly have their followers.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The Speed Twin is a comfy bike with a Bonnie engine. What's not to like?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I have a 2017 model Thruxton which has the same engine (Same state of tune) but with a slightly sportier riding position. Oh and the Speed Twin is some 5-10 Kgs lighter though I don't know where the weight savings have come from.

in short the Thruxton's a cracking bike for NZ roads. Sensible gearing sees the bike using some 3500Rpm at 100Km/hr (The redline is shown as being 7000Rpm and the limiter cuts in around 7200Rpm if memory serves) so it's responsive in top gear at realistic speeds. Fuel consumption is good too (I get over 20Km/litre on a regular basis) and the bike's happy doing lower speeds as well as hooning it rather more.

The rider modes do make a difference. I've ended up putting mine into Sport mode on every ride (It defaults to Road mode and there's a Rain mode too) but the only thing affected is the throttle response rather than the power itself.

In short - Give one a try. They are a cracking bike and I'm sure you'll like it.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Oh and another thing I forgot to mention.

It sounds lovely even with the standard pipes fitted too.

Thread Information