Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suzuki V Strom for 2020- a new level of ugly

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Well I just signed papers for a new vstrom today. EDITGranted its not the model released as the 2020) relevance to the thread is tenuous...lol.

The MK1 Bandit 12 will go on hold for 6 Months while it gets stripped and cleaned with a toothbrush. I want to keep it on to keep my riding skills honest #noABS#traction controlsettings#too much noise

I got the wire spoke model in BLUE because I hated the yellow and black. Much nicer looking indeed.

First ever brand new off the showroom floor vehicle ever.

If nobody likes it I don't particularly care, it mine to enjoy, nobody else's.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    Well I just signed papers for a new vstrom today. EDITGranted its not the model released as the 2020) relevance to the thread is tenuous...lol.

The MK1 Bandit 12 will go on hold for 6 Months while it gets stripped and cleaned with a toothbrush. I want to keep it on to keep my riding skills honest #noABS#traction controlsettings#too much noise

I got the wire spoke model in BLUE because I hated the yellow and black. Much nicer looking indeed.

First ever brand new off the showroom floor vehicle ever.

If nobody likes it I don't particularly care, it mine to enjoy, nobody else's.
    Good for you - They're a cracking bike. Did you go for the 650 or the 1000?

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Good for you - They're a cracking bike. Did you go for the 650 or the 1000?
    Yeah I test rode both and decided on the 1000. The step down in power from the Bandit would have been too much to take the 650. The new bike and I are getting along very well indeed.

One niggle is the luggage arrangement. Nothing I own will work on the Strom. Either the fittings are so way off no amount of engineering will sort it out short of all new mounts, so might as well save and buy the Suzuki/Givi luggage designed to fit. Also neither of my magnetic tank bags will work on the weird shaped tank which is shrouded in plastic so it gets no purchase. Pretty sure this is a deliberate strategy so Proprietary accessories get purchased. Absolutely nothing will transfer over except the small wind deflector for the top of the screen.

Might have to sell the monorack and luggage.....bugger. Not even Oxford lifetime tail bag works with it. (That was a short lifetime)

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Trying to get the first 1000km service out of the way before the holiday shutdowns hit, 650 km yesterday. 7 hours in the saddle, back roads incl the Manawatu scenic route. Wind on SH1 from Taihape down was a bitch, seems a bit more sensitive to x winds, but no biggie.

The bike is actually a revelation on tight twisty back roads. Get the gear right and it powers out nicely, so its just a matter of me adjusting my riding style from the inline 4 to the Vtwin. Bike tracks superbly and tips in effortlessly. Suspension settings seem almost spot on as they are.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Trying to get the first 1000km service out of the way before the holiday shutdowns hit, 650 km yesterday. 7 hours in the saddle, back roads incl the Manawatu scenic route. Wind on SH1 from Taihape down was a bitch, seems a bit more sensitive to x winds, but no biggie.

The bike is actually a revelation on tight twisty back roads. Get the gear right and it powers out nicely, so its just a matter of me adjusting my riding style from the inline 4 to the Vtwin. Bike tracks superbly and tips in effortlessly. Suspension settings seem almost spot on as they are.
    Yep - If memory serves 3rd and 4th gear were the best for a nice twisty road. Don't be afraid to let them rev a bit too. I've always enjoyed the raised riding position and fairly wide bars that Adventure bikes offer. I left the suspension on my 650 mostly alone. The rear preload being the only thing I altered occasionally.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    the suzukifest deal is very sharp and tempting, nice ride dude!!

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Yep - If memory serves 3rd and 4th gear were the best for a nice twisty road. Don't be afraid to let them rev a bit too. I've always enjoyed the raised riding position and fairly wide bars that Adventure bikes offer. I left the suspension on my 650 mostly alone. The rear preload being the only thing I altered occasionally.
    I'm still limited to under 4500 revs for a few km yet (trying to follow the break in period instructions to the letter lol) Load and unload the engine, no constant revs etc etc. But once past the 1600 km mark you can bet I will be finding its character.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    the suzukifest deal is very sharp and tempting, nice ride dude!!
    Thanks, I agree.

Oh yes, and when I walked in on the Monday after testing on Saturday, (having stated catagorically I was not going to make an immediate decision, which I had already done in my head) and pointed to the bike saying I want THAT ONE can you get me on it by tomorrow? The service level was extraordinary. It should always be that easy and straightforward.

The pricing was keen. No buyers remorse. Only problem is lack of space in the garage. Have to let one go tomorrow, which is a bit like parting with a child, but harder.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I put a very nice AdrenalinR muffler on mine. It sounded awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	925.2 KB 
ID:	343865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	343866  
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I put a very nice AdrenalinR muffler on mine. It sounded awesome!
    Yes I spot some equipment in your photos I need to get. Work in progress I suppose..........

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Where does one find the missiles to fit into the rearwards facing launcher strapped to the side? Finally - a worthy response for the tailgater

Bike
    Several old ones

Plastic tanks best thing ever.

Yeah I test rode both and decided on the 1000. The step down in power from the Bandit would have been too much to take the 650. The new bike and I are getting along very well indeed.

One niggle is the luggage arrangement. Nothing I own will work on the Strom. Either the fittings are so way off no amount of engineering will sort it out short of all new mounts, so might as well save and buy the Suzuki/Givi luggage designed to fit. Also neither of my magnetic tank bags will work on the weird shaped tank which is shrouded in plastic so it gets no purchase. Pretty sure this is a deliberate strategy so Proprietary accessories get purchased. Absolutely nothing will transfer over except the small wind deflector for the top of the screen.

Might have to sell the monorack and luggage.....bugger. Not even Oxford lifetime tail bag works with it. (That was a short lifetime)
    I know that tank bags with magnetics cannot be attached, but that would be the only drawback from having a plastic tank. No more rust ,,,, the bane of all old motorbikes in years to come.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman1 View Post
    I know that tank bags with magnetics cannot be attached, but that would be the only drawback from having a plastic tank. No more rust ,,,, the bane of all old motorbikes in years to come.
    Yup, I had to repair two pinhole leaks under the Bandit 12 tank over the last few years. Selleys Knead-it is always in my toolkit, does a permanent fix. Still got the bike and still love riding it (minus luggage & wingrack) now it is all dialled in. Changed the T31's out for Diabolos, just because. Testament to a 1996 model Suzuki that it is still running fautlessly and still relevant on the road today.

11000 and some odd kms on the Strom over 12 months and still feel like I have done NO riding this year. I rode out this morning on back roads only. New record, 57 km without seeing a car in either direction. Is there rugby or cricket on TV today?

Bike
    Several old ones

V Strom -Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I always look forward to the EICMA Milan show to see what exciting new toys we are in for.

Unfortunately I can't un-see this disaster of styling. Suzuki describe it as a new level of "all new" Sorry Guys I describe it as a new level of ugly Back to the drawing boards and this time be sober or off the drugs or whatever.
    Yes have to agree not really pretty aye.
    V Stroms have never been that cool looking the later 650s don't look thaaaat bad.
    They are however a good bike , reliable, great wee motor , comfortable, economical, and most importantly cheap, just hit with the ugly stick.
    Those that own them seem to defend their looks. Good on them.
    Suzuki make some nice looking bikes but........

Thread Information