Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Who ruined kiwibiker?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Seems to me that this place is overly represented with boomers who ...
    Motorcycling is overly represented by boomers. Just go to any motorcycle event and note the amount of grey hair.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Sorry cant talk, am sipping coffee at the cafe with my nurse
    Nice 750SS ten characters
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Most of my riding mates communicate via whatsapp or messenger re meeting, questions about bikes and rides etc but its a bubble and it has limitations. The beauty of an open forum is a free exchange of ideas and the testing of them, so if you ask a question then eventually you'll get a pretty good answer. Usually the shitfights are in the off topic sections where there is an intergenerational division or polarised opinions on politics especially. You cant win an internet argument, and to most peoples absolute shock and horror if they meet up with their online adversaries they tend to be pretty decent people (however confused)

maybe kb has had its day
    One of the upsides of "all the boomers" is that you have people who are immensely experienced in all facets of the enterprise - we've got world famous engine builders, people who race internationally and run teams internationally, experienced racers. Generally they are really good guys who if you ask for advice will tell you "stop dithering and buy it, life is short". My point is that they can be a very good resource - and generally they're very willing to share their knowledge. Good example being that ESE thread. I dont read it that often because I understand every eighth word. But clearly these dudes know their shit.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yep, through KB, some riders I've met have become cherished friends with wider interests than just motorcycles and their whole families have become friends too. In my case, first contact was through a shared interest in a particular bike, living in the same area etc, never group rides. It's great that KB has put people together though, whatever the initial reason.
    Looking at this thread you are the first to sign up out of the old timers posting here. Any active members been around longer?

Apart from the Motogp threads I don't really visit much on here, never did really as I found that enough. Facebook has killed so many useful forums, gone are the days that you could have your laptop in the garage and find what you needed easily when working on a car or bike. Have to really dig around in archived forums for the good shit.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Looking at this thread you are the first to sign up out of the old timers posting here. Any active members been around longer?

Apart from the Motogp threads I don't really visit much on here, never did really as I found that enough. Facebook has killed so many useful forums, gone are the days that you could have your laptop in the garage and find what you needed easily when working on a car or bike. Have to really dig around in archived forums for the good shit.
    Bloody hell - October 2002, time flies when you're having fun! Had forgotten how long I'd been a member. At the time of joining, I had a Blackbird (no surprises there) and there were several other 'bird riders on it and it was a great way to share info, especially setting up the suspension properly and other mods. That led to some lasting friendships, even though all but one of the Blackbirds have long gone. I generally log in 3 or 4 times a week to see if anything interesting is going on but don't post a lot. I still happen to think it's an extremely valuable site though, particularly to draw on the collective wisdom of everyone when there's a problem to be solved.

I use Facebook a fair bit because as quite a few people know, I'm a Central North Island Mentor/Examiner with the NZ branch of the UK Institute of Advanced Motorists and we have dedicated pages for the various regions of IAM in NZ. Facebook is a handy tool for that sort of use to get info out to members. Horses for courses....

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Bloody hell - October 2002, time flies when you're having fun! Had forgotten how long I'd been a member.
    3 days before me! When I joined the site had 18 members.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/m...joindate&pp=30

Damn that makes me, you, SPman and SpankMe the four oldest still active members.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    3 days before me! When I joined the site had 18 members.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/m...joindate&pp=30

Damn that makes me, you, SPman and SpankMe the four oldest still active members.
    Hahahaha! Does that make us sad bastards or old and wise? (No need for anyone to answer that ) . It's Friday evening so I'll raise a glass to us all

I remember briefly meeting SpankMe just after KB started. A mate and I were at Kawhia when SpankMe and some of his mates rocked up. I think he had a blue SV 650 or 1000 and I think there was a French Canadian on a Ducati Monster with a lot of carbon parts. I think he was a KB'er too. Got some photos somewhere - must dig them out.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I'm a March 2003 joining baby and before spotting this site I had spent a few years on the old USA site Motorcycle Online which is now long gone I think and also on the old Ulysses Club discussion site.

This site was quite a new whizz bang form of a forum compared to the others I was using at the time and grew quite fast allowing us to meet a lot of like minded people and as I mentioned earlier in this thread that meant we had quite a lot of social interaction in Wellington initially until it faded.

I bought the T-shirts (road and dirt) and the stickers to put on my bikes and enjoyed the company.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Hahahaha! Does that make us sad bastards or old and wise? (No need for anyone to answer that ) . It's Friday evening so I'll raise a glass to us all

I remember briefly meeting SpankMe just after KB started. A mate and I were at Kawhia when SpankMe and some of his mates rocked up. I think he had a blue SV 650 or 1000 and I think there was a French Canadian on a Ducati Monster with a lot of carbon parts. I think he was a KB'er too. Got some photos somewhere - must dig them out.
    Old and wise of course. I met SM when he came down to Christchurch in the mid 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    I'm a March 2003 joining baby and before spotting this site I had spent a few years on the old USA site Motorcycle Online which is now long gone I think and also on the old Ulysses Club discussion site.

This site was quite a new whizz bang form of a forum compared to the others I was using at the time and grew quite fast allowing us to meet a lot of like minded people and as I mentioned earlier in this thread that meant we had quite a lot of social interaction in Wellington initially until it faded.

I bought the T-shirts (road and dirt) and the stickers to put on my bikes and enjoyed the company.
    Thank you! I knew it was Wari that gave me the heads up on the site, I just couldn't remember where from. But I too was active on the US forums, esportsbike etc, and that's where I met Wari online.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    crasherfromwayback, he left too.

You still doing your Police stuff then scummy and are you likely to drop into Sandbar again anytime soon?
    Nah Merv, I'm now retired!
    I was at the Sandbar just over two years ago for my sons graduation, dunno when I'll visit the place again. (I will be driving past in March next year - but will be on a mission)

Those meetings with you lower norfisland types at the Sandbar were great, good guys, good company and a great occasion for 'putting faces to names.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Been here 15 years but the last few years only in the GP thread. I'm 3 pages into this thread because I don't come out here often.
    I made lots of friends here, road and dirt to the point we had dirt division t shirts and flags made up and met up most rides and road dirt together frequently.
    Made a few road riding friends (still have them) and we did stuff like a collection to get Katiepie's bike back on the road after her bad prang.
    There where lots of female members here a few years ago.
    It was a good place with sensible discussion on bike related matters 95% of the time.

Then Kiwibiker killed itself TBH.
    The mods didn't kick out the fuckwits and it was quite crazy here for quite a spell.
    The threads where full of bullshit and conflict for the sake of conflict. It seemed thats how they wanted the place to be?
    People like Crasher and others got sick of it and left
    People like me set their shortcut to their settings page and only looked at the subscribed threads.
    Like MotoGP thread, Jokes or ESE thread and very rarely checked the New Posts, General ravings threads etc.
    People like WINJA, IdoIIdolIdyll and crasher added colour, it didn't get personal as it did for quite a spell there.
    We even tolerated twits Like Akzle who I don't think even had a bloody motorbike???
    Maha, Mom, Caseye, Caveweta, Ocean1, DMNTD, Mossy1200, MSTRS, Frosty, Kiwifruit and many more, could generally give and take a bit of stick without being keyboard warriors.

So we have what we have now a few old timers wondering why they don't read interesting threads on bikes and bike Issues.
    Because all of the semi sane members got shitted off with the insanity LOL.
    Just My 2c ???
    Good post and yeah, I normally log in, check my settings page, maybe look at new posts and log out again...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    What happens is a few old hands think they own/run the place and set the culture. Newcomers are viewed as threats and attacked if they poke their head above the parapets.
    Seems to me that this place is overly represented with boomers who are one cock dribble away from adult nappies and sucking porridge though a straw at the rest home. For fucks sake, its not the 1970's anymore.

It happens on all the boards, the toxification and general cuntifying of forums. I think they have a useby date and for those that had the pleasure of the board when it was fresh and fun before the oldies stole it are lucky.
    Hey, that's a lie - it IS the 1970's still!

AND the oldies are the stayers...well sometimes...

Bike
    Bloody hell - October 2002, time flies when you're having fun! Had forgotten how long I'd been a member. At the time of joining, I had a Blackbird (no surprises there) and there were several other 'bird riders on it and it was a great way to share info, especially setting up the suspension properly and other mods. That led to some lasting friendships, even though all but one of the Blackbirds have long gone. I generally log in 3 or 4 times a week to see if anything interesting is going on but don't post a lot. I still happen to think it's an extremely valuable site though, particularly to draw on the collective wisdom of everyone when there's a problem to be solved.

I use Facebook a fair bit because as quite a few people know, I'm a Central North Island Mentor/Examiner with the NZ branch of the UK Institute of Advanced Motorists and we have dedicated pages for the various regions of IAM in NZ. Facebook is a handy tool for that sort of use to get info out to members. Horses for courses....
    Bloody Norah - I joined in 2003!

Where have the years gone???

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Bloody Norah - I joined in 2003!

Where have the years gone???
    Gidday Tom! Well this is quite a reunion. Still riding American Iron? Time fliesmwhen you're growing older disgracefully!

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Nah Merv, I'm now retired!
    I wondered about you because I retired myself at the end of February 2017 so I've had almost 3 years off and just earnt my SuperGold Card and pension this month
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information