Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre/puncture repair

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Tyre/puncture repair

I ended up with the wrong type of screw yesterday - one stuck in my tyre. First flat I've had to deal with.

Bike is safely parked at my place. I have roadside assist who will tow it to (named repairer of my choice) or I can limp it the 350m to Coleman's, just around the corner.

Are there any better options? A specific tyre shop perhaps?

Am I likely to have to replace the tyre (rear) or is it possible to repair?

Bike
    ES XTZ
    IF you can pump it up and and it can sorta hold the air then ride it 350mts, wouldnt ride it flat as it will damage the rim and make you wobbly
    leading to a tip over and more damage. Tyres can be repaired as long as its not thru the sidewall, the shop will soon tell you, if theres plenty
    of tread repair it.
    Good time to chat to the mechanics and find out more about repair kits and mni compressors.

Bike
    KTM
    Stink

If it's just a small hole through the tyre a rubber snake repair (https://www.hyperride.co.nz/product/...re-repair-kit?) will fix it, and should last the life the tyre.

Assuming tubeless here of course, if tubed then it's another story

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Just be aware that no manufacturer guarantees a repaired tyre. You are suposed to replace the tyre, but the comments here have already confirmed that not everybody does. If you were an aspiring crutch rocketeer I'd suggest a new tyre. A sensibly ridden SV650? Maybe not.

Do take it to Colemans though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    I ended up with the wrong type of screw yesterday - one stuck in my tyre. First flat I've had to deal with.

Bike is safely parked at my place. I have roadside assist who will tow it to (named repairer of my choice) or I can limp it the 350m to Coleman's, just around the corner.

Are there any better options? A specific tyre shop perhaps?

Am I likely to have to replace the tyre (rear) or is it possible to repair?
    The mechanical team at Colemans is top class. Current NZ Superbike champion and Superlite Bational level top 3 riders both work there.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    AJ @ Motohaus walked down and walked it up the hill for me.

A new tyre is the go (could be repaired but not economical in terms of life/tread remaining).

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    Stink

If it's just a small hole through the tyre a rubber snake repair (https://www.hyperride.co.nz/product/...re-repair-kit?) will fix it, and should last the life the tyre.

Assuming tubeless here of course, if tubed then it's another story
    They are a temporary repair at best
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    KTM
    Nah if it holds pressure for a week I'd trust it. Up to 160kph anyway.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    As Kickaha said, they're temporary at best, and from memory, won't pass WOF.

Bike shops can do a proper mushroom repair from the inside, but the hole has to be more central in the tread, not too close to the edge. Sometimes success depends on the tyre construction as well, with the Michelin Roads less likely to work...

Cost wise for the repair, obviously if the tyre is near end of life, it ain't worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    and from memory, won't pass WOF.
    They don't
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Sold

Bike shops can do a proper mushroom repair from the inside, but the hole has to be more central in the tread, not too close to the edge. Sometimes success depends on the tyre construction as well, with the Michelin Roads less likely to work...

Cost wise for the repair, obviously if the tyre is near end of life, it ain't worth it.
    Alan, I had 3 punctures in 4 months on Road 5's last spring/summer which left me wondering whether they are more susceptible than some other brands, which is why I'm now on T31's. "Dog turd" ropes are also good for packing elongated holes caused by glass shards, thin metal plate and the like. I also carry these "mushrooms" which can be inserted from the outside with a special tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfuBFNaA1U . I've never had to use it but an Aussie mate of mine swears by them. No experience of foam aerosols.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Alan, I had 3 punctures in 4 months on Road 5's last spring/summer which left me wondering whether they are more susceptible than some other brands, which is why I'm now on T31's. "Dog turd" ropes are also good for packing elongated holes caused by glass shards, thin metal plate and the like. I also carry these "mushrooms" which can be inserted from the outside with a special tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfuBFNaA1U . I've never had to use it but an Aussie mate of mine swears by them. No experience of foam aerosols.
    You only have to try pushing down from the top, on an unmounted tyre, to see how much it flexes. Roads post 2, have a soft carcass, which means the tyre can walk on the road when pushed closer to it's limits. Some also don't like that squirm (and will opt for Metzeler etc), and because of the soft carcass you don't drop pressures as much on them as they're more sensitive. The soft carcass does probably increase the odds, but the main thing is checking your tyres regularly. If glass gets trapped in the thread, it gets driven into the tyre as it wears out... and hello puncture.

With 2 bikes on Road 5s, I can say the main risk now is actually wearing out the edges on them before the centre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM

You're right, I didn't know that!

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....res-and-wheels

Reasons for rejection

11. A tyre has a string type repair visible from the outside.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    They are a temporary repair at best
    listen here, this man is in the tyre business full time.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

With 2 bikes on Road 5s, I can say the main risk now is actually wearing out the edges on them before the centre
    I've seen similar comments in other forums. The other thing to realise is the edge compound is laid on the centre compound as shown here in the 2CT+ diagram. This is for the Power RS, but the Road 5 is similar.

Thread Information