Thread: Vintage Enduro

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Vintage Enduro

Thought it might be appropriate to give a big thank you to the organisers and helpers of the Vintage Enduro held at The Farm last Sunday.

I have never "raced" before and had no idea what to expect. To prove this I rode into an electric fence 20mtrs from the start line, that's when I figured out what the wee arrows were for. It also validated what they say about #13, my race number and starting minute...

The event was 4 x 21km loops and 4 time trials, shortened to 3 loops.
    I DNF'ed due to the XR fork leg, which followed me into the electric fence, causing my left leg to give up after a couple of hours. A 160kg, 50kmh charlie horse. Pretty sure the rider thought I had a stutter as I asked him to get my bike off me so I could get off his bike. To clear that up, it was just the fence doing it's job.

Their were 2 loops (both should have been ridden twice but only the first loop had that pleasure) and they offered tight woods, clay tracks, steep hills, steep off camber sections, stream crossings, lots of roots and boggy bits. Something for everyone!

The courses and time trials were well marked, I just need to go to spec savers.

You could enter silver or gold depending on ability, I was disappointed they didn't offer a lead level. I rode some of the gold bits by accident.

I would guess their were 40+ riders on an amazing array of bikes, from a CR 500 to a Malcolm Smith lookalike on suitably vintage Suzuki twin shocker. He levitated everywhere.

Apparently the oldest rider was 72 and I guess the youngest to be about 12.

Other than the vintage classes they had a modern trail class. Man, those KTM 300's fly!

The whole event had a really friendly, helpful, fun vibe about it. I stopped to assist another rider a couple of times and everyone who came past asked if we were ok. My riding buddy (#13A) ended up stuck in a gold section. He needs glasses, too. Another rider stopped to help him extricate his PE400 from mangrove mud, the guy claimed he would have won otherwise. Poor buggers were still there when the sweep came through.

All in all, for a casual trail rider of my ripeness it was a fantastic day and hugely fun experience. It took me right out of my comfort zone but without trying to kill me or my bike. I learned a truck load and hopefully have some new contacts to ride with. (Helpful Duncan from Whangas..)

Best day I've had for years.

If this is of interest, check out the rest of the Vintage Enduro rounds on Silver bullet.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    BSA A10
    One of my friends competes in it on an IT200 I sold him, unfortunately we don't yet have anything similar in the South
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    One of my friends competes in it on an IT200 I sold him, unfortunately we don't yet have anything similar in the South
    There were a few IT's there. They get along quite nicely! A young lad came off on a hill which claimed a few victims, including me, and snapped his clutch lever. Pretty sure he was on a 175 or 200. Didn't faze him, though.

There must be shed loads of old trailies and enduros down south!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    There were a few IT's there. They get along quite nicely! A young lad came off on a hill which claimed a few victims, including me, and snapped his clutch lever. Pretty sure he was on a 175 or 200. Didn't faze him, though.

There must be shed loads of old trailies and enduros down south!
    I had an IT 175 when I was teaching our eldest son to ride on his TS100 in the forests round Tokoroa. The bastard bike was always trying to kill me . I would have been much better off on the TS100

Bike
    BSA A10
    There were a few IT's there. They get along quite nicely! !
    He was there on his, he does the full series

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I had an IT 175 when I was teaching our eldest son to ride on his TS100 in the forests round Tokoroa. The bastard bike was always trying to kill me . I would have been much better off on the TS100
    I have been given 1 1/2 or maybe more IT175 which I pick up in a couple of weeks, not sure what year or model yet
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I have been given 1 1/2 or maybe more IT175 which I pick up in a couple of weeks, not sure what year or model yet
    Warwick, they're a great bike but when I bought mine, I'd never ridden off-road before apart from a couple of hours on a mate's DT175. The DT 175 was great for a newbie but the IT with its narrower power band was far less forgiving. It spat me off a few times when I grabbed a handful of throttle in places where a bit more restraint was called for. I was in my early 40's at the time and discovered that I didn't bounce as well as in my late teens and early 20's. Quite often walked like an old man the next morning

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Be good to have some Vinduro events in the south...
    Have a nice Montesa 125H6 Enduro just waiting for that day...
    Or maybe I should sell it to someone that can use it...

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Warwick, they're a great bike but when I bought mine, I'd never ridden off-road before apart from a couple of hours on a mate's DT175. The DT 175 was great for a newbie but the IT with its narrower power band was far less forgiving. It spat me off a few times when I grabbed a handful of throttle in places where a bit more restraint was called for. I was in my early 40's at the time and discovered that I didn't bounce as well as in my late teens and early 20's. Quite often walked like an old man the next morning
    I was pretty wary of my CRM250R initially, has a will of it's own and a bad attitude. Big wheelies and soiled undies were par for the course.

After a couple of years practicing on a trials bike I've managed to figure out what the clutch and rear brake are for. I'm still exceedingly respectful of that throttle, though. A lot can happen with a wee twist. It has a surprising amount of torque off the pipe.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Be good to have some Vinduro events in the south...
    Have a nice Montesa 125H6 Enduro just waiting for that day...
    Or maybe I should sell it to someone that can use it...

Stupidly i just googled it. They look gawjus!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I might as well ask before this thread peters out.

I have a 98 XR250 shock on the CRM, snapped the original... Don't ask.

The XR shock is better but still wanting after airborne moments and struggles to get grip in a lot of places.

Anyone know of good aftermarket replacements which offer a significant improvement?

The XR shock bolts straight in but the remote reservoir is bigger and has very little clearance to the tank.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    husaberg
    I might as well ask before this thread peters out.

I have a 98 XR250 shock on the CRM, snapped the original... Don't ask.

The XR shock is better but still wanting after airborne moments and struggles to get grip in a lot of places.

Anyone know of good aftermarket replacements which offer a significant improvement?

The XR shock bolts straight in but the remote reservoir is bigger and has very little clearance to the tank.
    XR250 shocks up to about the mid 90's are immensely rebuild-able and unable with RT emulator kits available as well
    They aslo have a fully remote reservoir that can be fitted wherever you like.

https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Honda/XR250R/1991

Bike
    BSA A10
    Warwick, they're a great bike but when I bought mine, I'd never ridden off-road before apart from a couple of hours on a mate's DT175. The DT 175 was great for a newbie but the IT with its narrower power band was far less forgiving. :
    I already have an IT200 which I've had for nearly 20 years although the last ten it's been in bits, just waiting for the rear shock and it's a runner again

Thread Information