Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ride modes, blue tooth and intercoms. Distractions?

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Fuck having any of that shit
    Agreed!!! Hearing and feeling the bike go together. With hearing being a major pleasure of riding??
    From my Z1r to my past V twins, even the Bonnie and the FZR1000.
    Safety aside? I simply do not understand why you would wanna block the hearing sensation out?

Lets not even get into, that song you love comes on, or that call you must take or that button you must press???

Its very simple - Block any sense out and you increase your risk.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    The only one of the senses you have that connects to the brain directly, without preprocessing, is your hearing. Everything else has a delay built in with your eyesight being the worst. The CPU and the GPU have an interface that is horrifyingly complex with such limited bandwidth that the CPU prefers to use a RAM-based static model that is updated via pattern recognition and deviations to standard patterns than processing the data received directly from the optical sensors.

Also, as kickaha said, fuck having any of that shit.

...the only thing I understood of all that was...'fuck', said Kickaha...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    What you are talking about is cognitive distraction.

There are 3 categories of distraction. Cognitive, visual and manual.

Our law deals with manual distraction, in that it stops us from using the phone in our hand, freeing us up to use our hands to drive/ride.

Visual distraction is that thing that causes you to look away from the things that matter to your driving task. That Elle McPherson poster that drew your attention. You know the one

Our law is dumb, as the worst distraction is cognitive. It's when your mind drifts onto the additional talks you have, like the phone call you are on. I've been the guy on the phone call who rode past the place I was going to, as my mind was too focused on the details of the call.

Vehicles today are grossly distracting. Yet we know that this is a problem, but we embrace it.

I like the settings I can adjust on the BMW R1200RT I have. Tech coming out my ears. But I know when the right time to play with it is.

Ride modes, ESA, heaters, stereo, air cond. How much is too much?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...the only thing I understood of all that was...'fuck', said Kickaha...
    It's the only bit that matters.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Vehicles today are grossly distracting.
    True. It's not necessarily the biker either, it's the marginally competent drivers paying more attention to their multiple distractions than to their driving.

I have bluetooth buds but wouldn't wear them on a pushbike so can't really imagine wearing them on the Triumph. Don't even know if the helmet will fit over them, but they'd probably make the radar detector harder to hear. That could be expensive.

Nicky Hayden was much better on two wheels than me and he was killed while listening to his earphones.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    True. It's not necessarily the biker either, it's the marginally competent drivers paying more attention to their multiple distractions than to their driving.

I have bluetooth buds but wouldn't wear them on a pushbike so can't really imagine wearing them on the Triumph. Don't even know if the helmet will fit over them, but they'd probably make the radar detector harder to hear. That could be expensive.

Nicky Hayden was much better on two wheels than me and he was killed while listening to his earphones.
    Entirely agree. I have a bicycle helmet with bone conduction bluetooth. It's easy to listen to Gladys Knight and still hear the environment.

On the RT, there's stereo speakers, but the bike also bluetooths to a helmet. If the BT is on, the speakers cut out. If no BT is connected, the speakers are on.

I like each for different reasons, but whatever I'm using, it's background noise. None of it takes mental processing time away from what I am doing. Faffing around with the controls, however, does seriously distract.

The ride modes are a bit distracting. Once you become familiar with the menus, it easier to scroll through them. I've only had this bike a couple of weeks, but the menus are almost identical to my recently departed 1600GTL.

All in all, I get a lot of enjoyment in riding small, simple bikes, with nil distractions. But I also enjoy the fruit on the big bike. Just have to learn to manage it all safely.

Thread Information