Thread: No Street Triple R in 2020

Bike
    2019 Street Triple R

No Street Triple R in 2020

Looks like Triumph are not making the Street Triple R this year. Just the S and RS.

Bummer as it's one of the two bike's I'm considering for my upgrade. Hoping I'll still be able to find some come January.
    “He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave.”

Bike
    Hornet 900
    I rode the RS yesterday (thanks TSS) and it’s awesome. Loved the engine.
    Thinking about getting a 2020 version.

Bike
    Sold
    I bought an ordinary (non RS) Street Triple in 2009 and loved it to bits. Had it for 6 years. Fast forwarding to March this year and replacing my GSX-S 1000, it was a toss-up between the ST R and the Duke 790. I didn't consider the RS as most reports concluded that the extra cost of "trick bits" wasn't worth it. I was really impressed with the R but the Duke made me laugh more so that's what I bought in the end. I can understand Triumph dropping the R though as there probably isn't sufficient market differentiation to support the 3 models.

Bike
    2005 Suzuki GN250E
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I bought an ordinary (non RS) Street Triple in 2009 and loved it to bits. Had it for 6 years. Fast forwarding to March this year and replacing my GSX-S 1000, it was a toss-up between the ST R and the Duke 790. I didn't consider the RS as most reports concluded that the extra cost of "trick bits" wasn't worth it. I was really impressed with the R but the Duke made me laugh more so that's what I bought in the end. I can understand Triumph dropping the R though as there probably isn't sufficient market differentiation to support the 3 models.
    How do you find the 790 at low speed/revs? I love my duke 390 and the only reason I wanna upgrade is for a bit smoother low speeds and bit more torque through the full band.
    I’m weighing up duke 790, triumph street triple R and a triumph tiger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by DuLuX View Post
    How do you find the 790 at low speed/revs? I love my duke 390 and the only reason I wanna upgrade is for a bit smoother low speeds and bit more torque through the full band.
    IÂ’m weighing up duke 790, triumph street triple R and a triumph tiger.

It very much depends which mode you're in and the traffic conditions. If you're on the open toad, it pulls strongly from low revs provided you're not in a high gear. It doesn't have the flat (ish) torque curve of the 675 Triple but it's still good. What I'm picking your question really refers to is what it's like in town, particularly in slow traffic. It very much depends on what mode you're in. In rain mode, it's very smooth and if I'm going to do a fair bit of town work, this is the mode I prefer. In street mode, it's generally ok but it does tend to be a little snatchy at low revs or transitioning from a trailing throttle. In sport mode, it's very snatchy but this mode is really for fast open road work. Forget about track mode and its sub-options for road use! It all comes down to what you actually want to use it for and the emotional appeal of the bike. I actually like the look of the Street Triple a bit more than the 790 but in terms of personal emotional appeal, the 790 is a far better bike. I have about 13k on the clock now and don't regret buying it for a second.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by DuLuX View Post
    I’m weighing up duke 790, triumph street triple R and a triumph tiger.

I owned a 765 RS previously and it was/is a cracking machine. More sanitised than the 675 (I owned a standard 675 some 11 years ago back in the UK) with a grown up feel to it and, on the RS at least, more top-end biased power delivery. The impression I get is that the Duke 790 is a bit more like the older 675 in that it still has a bit of naughtiness whereas the 765 models are now effectively sports bikes with the fairing removed.

You pays your money etc...

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    They were releasing the new models one at a time, the RS first, then the S then the R. The R was announced last but there's definitely a '20 model.

Thread Information