Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road bike options for commute

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT

Road bike options for commute

I thought I would check in with Kiwibiker for a bit of advice.

Had a recent change of job location and with parking being a royal pain in the backside, I am going to be commuting by bike, current one is a 2001 Guzzi V11 Sport, yes it can do it but not it's forte and hell maybe I fancy a change.

Current thinking is :-

1) KTM 690 Duke - Fun when not commuting, reasonable service spacing, 2014 bikes not bad money, engines great and would seem like a good option for commute. Superficially looks like a good option but maybe a little fragile for commute purposes.
    2) Aprilia Shiver - Fun but again how solid is this for long term day to day commute?
    3) Kawasaki Z900 - Jap so assumed reliability, would be interested to know what they are like.
    4) BMW F800R - Again 2014 bikes look good money, well spec'd but again any known issues?

Any other suggestions would be interested to hear, not to keen on Adv Bikes, had gen 2 Tiger 955i and frankly didn't really gel with it.

And anyone interested in a 2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello drop me a line, happy to discuss.

Andy

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The sad fact of commuting by motorcycle is that it is actually more expensive than a car. Parking costs is a small part of the equation. The Rego isn't cheap for the bigger bikes, Tires (tend to wear the center bit out pretty quickly), servicing costs (doing it yourself may save a bit), Km's on the clock rack up pretty dam quickly and unless you intend keeping it until you die ... high km's don't help resale. Storage of your riding gear, and an (easy) ability to change into work gear/mode is desired. Taking "stuff" to/from/for work is an added issue. Probably a few more (like increased insurance costs if you bend it) ... maybe ..

Although a fun idea, for one that can ride in all weathers anyway ... the actual thing may not be that much fun. There have been a few threads on the subject here already. Search them out and have a read.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    You can commute on anything, and the cost of running a motorbike is offset by the joy of not sitting in traffic, and the unbeatable feeling of riding home on a hot sunny Friday. My choice of those bikes would be the Duke. I used to have a Husky 701 with the same motor and it's possible the perfect motor for a commuter bike. It's also a seriously light weight bike.

Bike
    It's not the cost of parking it's the finding somehwhere to park near the office to park a car, where as the bike I can fit in the office car park in an area which doesnt fit a car, parking close to office is a mix 15min/1hour to 2hrs max or about a 15 min walk for all day if you are in early enough.

So whilst Car mightbe cheaper, it takes twice as long, and is more hassle having to move car all the time, and as said bikes more fun.

Bike
    motocompo
    I'm saving $100 a week on fuel by riding an 850 scooter instead of driving a 4.8 litre V8.
    both require tyres & servicing, one holds 2.5 litres of oil, the other holds 9 litres of oil.
    One has two tyres that cost $150 each, the other has four that cost $478 each.
    One cost 10% of the price of the other one to purchase.
    Not sure how a bike works out more expensive.
    High KM's also destroy the resale value of a car, but hey, if you like driving cars, I'm sure there's a forum for that too.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Don't you have a TMax for sale SidecarBob? Under 600cc rego.

A mate commutes on a 690, but why so big? You won't need endless acceleration.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    I know if it was just commute then it's probably overgunned, but it also needs to provide evening/weekend fun as well.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Don't you have a TMax for sale SidecarBob? .
    Ahh yes, Mighty Max. (my tmax) the easiest commuter i ever had. Completeley changed my attitude towards that style of bike.
    Click the link.
    Also check the link in that thread to see happy Dutch scooter folk that made a song.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1131145573

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'm saving $100 a week on fuel by riding an 850 scooter instead of driving a 4.8 litre V8.
    Greta Thunberg will love you, she 's already helping the world too, everytime she appears on TV thousands switch theirs off.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by gsp0702 View Post
    I thought I would check in with Kiwibiker for a bit of advice.

Had a recent change of job location and with parking being a royal pain in the backside, I am going to be commuting by bike, current one is a 2001 Guzzi V11 Sport, yes it can do it but not it's forte and hell maybe I fancy a change.

Current thinking is :-

1) KTM 690 Duke - Fun when not commuting, reasonable service spacing, 2014 bikes not bad money, engines great and would seem like a good option for commute. Superficially looks like a good option but maybe a little fragile for commute purposes.
    2) Aprilia Shiver - Fun but again how solid is this for long term day to day commute?
    3) Kawasaki Z900 - Jap so assumed reliability, would be interested to know what they are like.
    4) BMW F800R - Again 2014 bikes look good money, well spec'd but again any known issues?

Any other suggestions would be interested to hear, not to keen on Adv Bikes, had gen 2 Tiger 955i and frankly didn't really gel with it.

And anyone interested in a 2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello drop me a line, happy to discuss.

Andy
    I have just paid a deposit on: https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-husq...01-first-ride/

which I think would fit your bill - they were stupidly overpriced but they are now $11500 including ORC. the Vitpilen (lower bars) is $11k.

Its your KTM 690 motor in a weird ass chassis. Having said that I dont like the look of the KTM
    Last edited by HenryDorsetCase; 26th November 2019 at 19:49. Reason: typo 690 not 790
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    i'm saving $100 a week on fuel by riding an 850 scooter instead of driving a 4.8 litre v8.
    Both require tyres & servicing, one holds 2.5 litres of oil, the other holds 9 litres of oil.
    One has two tyres that cost $150 each, the other has four that cost $478 each.
    One cost 10% of the price of the other one to purchase.
    Not sure how a bike works out more expensive.
    High km's also destroy the resale value of a car, but hey, if you like driving cars, i'm sure there's a forum for that too.
    rego.............
    My new utes doing nearly 900km on a tank. pretty sure if i tried i could get it to 1000km
    It would be great saving if i didn't get free diesel anyway.
    Not sure if it still applied but 50cc scooters used to be cheap rego.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I have just paid a deposit on: https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-husq...01-first-ride/

which I think would fit your bill - they were stupidly overpriced but they are now $11500 including ORC. the Vitpilen (lower bars) is $11k.

Its your KTM 790 motor in a weird ass chassis. Having said that I dont like the look of the KTM
    Wow. That's very brave. Saw one in the shop. They are very confronting.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    rego.............
    My new utes doing nearly 900km on a tank. pretty sure if i tried i could get it to 1000km
    It would be great saving if i didn't get free diesel anyway.
    Not sure if it still applied but 50cc scooters used to be cheap rego.
    Rego, Lol.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

Its your KTM 790 motor in a weird ass chassis. Having said that I dont like the look of the KTM
    Surely it's the 690 motor, not the 790?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Surely it's the 690 motor, not the 790?
    Sorry yes you're right - typo. I've fixed it in the original post. Its actually your fault by the way for buying that KTM. I do have a bob each way in that I havent sold the Street Triple
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information