Thread: Oil level inconsistant

Bike
    2019 Ninja

Oil level inconsistant

Hello. Ok so an oil change should be simple as anything. I did one filter and oil. But wasnt happy with the level so after a day of riding i drained the oil again but kept the filter on. The manual says 1.6L without filter. So put that in exactly.

When a bike is cold it should read lower than warm right, great. Well thats why im confused. Its lower when warmed.

I even use a level on the bike to check its upright haha

Cold

Ran it for 7mins then waited 5mins

Waiting 10mins after running it

Waited 30mins and put it on my front and rear jacks

1 hour after. On and off the stands are the same reading.

Just wondering on your thoughts? I filled it exactly the amount the manual says. The manual also says to top max line. Should i add or leave it?

Thanks

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostinu13 View Post
    Hello. Ok so an oil change should be simple as anything. I did one filter and oil. But wasnt happy with the level so after a day of riding i drained the oil again but kept the filter on. The manual says 1.6L without filter. So put that in exactly.

When a bike is cold it should read lower than warm right, great. Well thats why im confused. Its lower when warmed.

Cold

Just wondering on your thoughts? I filled it exactly the amount the manual says. The manual also says to top max line. Should i add or leave it?

Thanks
    When its warm the oil will be thinner and spread around the engine.

If you have 1.6l in the engine and thats the spec it will be fine, but im sure somebody more qualified on the subject will chime in soon.

Bike
    SV1000s
    I never measure. I've never had a bike require the exact amount from the manual.
    -I put rear wheel up on stand to level bike
    -Drain oil and replace filter,
    -Fill up to top of inspection glass (or top of measuring point on dipstick) taking tine because new oil is cold so can take a minute or two to settle before measuring.
    -Once full i turn it over a few times with the starter without starting it, check oil again.
    -If happy i start and run it for about a minute.
    Top up to full level as required.
    -Then ride it so it's reached operating temp and check oil next stop. E.g. ride to work etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    BSA A10
    So long as it's between those two lines it's ok, you've made it way more complicated than it needs to be
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    So long as it's between those two lines it's ok, you've made it way more complicated than it needs to be
    Perhaps that's true, but have you considered the Coriolis effect?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Nah. That only matters when the moon is at apogee in saturn and it's blowing a nor-wester, and the crystal is cloudy and the tarot turns up a chariot card
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    This why I don't live in the North Island, you Northern Monkies have to complicate everything (and it's a shithole)
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    This why I don't live in the North Island, you Northern Monkies have to complicate everything (and it's a shithole)

You're throwing a lot of stones glasshouse boy.

Bike

Thanks
    I think you're quite possibly autistic but your bike is fine.

Bike
    A
    There is such a thing as overthinking oil levels. As long as it's between the low and high marks with engine off and bike level, chill

If I'm going for a long trip or headed to the track, yeah I'll aim for the high mark.

Surprised nobody mentioned the green powerband being at risk when oil level is low though...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Cold

Thanks
    Sorry, only got your PM now. Dont come on KB much these days.

My general rule for checking height is to do so ten mins after getting home from a ride. But do this regularly. Finding out you have run out of oil can be expensive.

Many moons ago I was given a new to me truck to run down to Wellington to swap a body over. It ran out of oil about Sanson. Its still there as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    There is such a thing as overthinking oil levels. As long as it's between the low and high marks with engine off and bike level, chill

If I'm going for a long trip or headed to the track, yeah I'll aim for the high mark.

Surprised nobody mentioned the green powerband being at risk when oil level is low though...
    Exactly. That oil window is the best thing ever for keeping an eye on your oil.
    My 1125 Buell had this ridiculous regime for checking the oil. Warm it up and then turn off and wait for exactly one minute and have bike level to check with the dipstick. Turns out, it was pretty match the same as when cold so WTF?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information