Thread: NI east coast roads

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

NI east coast roads

Heading of tomoz on our annual crusty farmers tour and heading down to approx taihape, maybe heading over Gentle Annie then up maybe around east cape then up to Coromandel.
    Anyone aware of any road closures etc likely to be best avoided? TIA, Al
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Heading of tomoz on our annual crusty farmers tour and heading down to approx taihape, maybe heading over Gentle Annie then up maybe around east cape then up to Coromandel.
    Anyone aware of any road closures etc likely to be best avoided? TIA, Al
    Love the Annie,over it 3 times in the last 2-3 years. Once with wifey on the back. She hadn't been on the back of my bike for nearly 20 yrs, on her bike, Yes. Her bike took a hit to the gear lever and split a gear ring, stopped gearbox working and had to be left behind.
    Got her on board the bandit (took a bit of manuvering and some slidin onto tank, but we got there).
    Took about 40 minutes to get back to Taihape, waited 15 minute for mate on a Triumph Trophy to arrive after us, didn't realise how well my lady could still pillion.
    Enjoyed that run, I did.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, it is a great ride I have taken my wife through there a couple of times too. First time it still had about 15 km of metal in the middle. Always stop at that Brown Sugar cafe in Taihape...

Bike
    Sold
    Between Coromandel Town and round to Whitianga and down towards Tairua, there were massive amounts of resurfacing going on when I drove round that way a few days ago. Lots of wet tar and loose chip that sticks to everything. One of those lit up noticeboards says resurfacing will continue until Dec 13th. The Thames-Coromandel coast road has one or two spots of loose gravel but is much better than the eastern side.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Geoff!

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Love the Annie,over it 3 times in the last 2-3 years. Once with wifey on the back. She hadn't been on the back of my bike for nearly 20 yrs, on her bike, Yes. Her bike took a hit to the gear lever and split a gear ring, stopped gearbox working and had to be left behind.
    Got her on board the bandit (took a bit of manuvering and some slidin onto tank, but we got there).
    Took about 40 minutes to get back to Taihape, waited 15 minute for mate on a Triumph Trophy to arrive after us, didn't realise how well my lady could still pillion.
    Enjoyed that run, I did.
    remember it well

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    went around East Cape Nov 9 resurfacing through Waioeka Gorge just before Te Karaka heading into Gisborne, plenty of Bleeding Tar from Gisborne to Waihau Bay but surface didn't seem to rutty, Waihau Bay to Opotiki was fine otherwise AWESOME as usual
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    So ended up going down the centre of the island on lesser roads and then took some heavily marbled backroads from Taihape that popped us out on the Gentle Annie Rd only a few kms from Gentle Annie. So we ended up doing about 2/3rds of that road. Then up the coast to Wairoa and in to Frasertown and right turn to Gissy. Then backroads to home again today via Te Aroha and across the hauraki plain where it was blowing like fuck and then pouring down. Thankfully the extremely heavy rain killed the wind a bit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	564.6 KB 
ID:	343787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1787.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	502.5 KB 
ID:	343788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1788.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	517.3 KB 
ID:	343789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	343790  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. Heading back to Wellington after boxing day races. The long way, over a couple of days. Gentle Annie is cool. But not had to do it in the wet. There's a couple of corners that might be scary on TieHappy side.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information