Thread: New Position

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    Welcome to the home of NZ's most most popular bike route*
    *by volume of bikes

Just don't crash on it, I see way too many ambos go that way
    Some of the corners will be 3 point turns on a K1600 wont they?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Some of the corners will be 3 point turns on a K1600 wont they?
    R1200RT LC these days

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Hi Y'all

I'm starting a new job in January, working with ACC on the Ride Forever team.

Relocating to Wellington, which is occupying lots of our time. Packing up the house etc.

I'm looking forward to Mrs Cat and I heading out on the lower North Island weekend rides. Mrs Cat is English, and has lived most of her time in NZ in the South Island. I'm looking forward to showing her the North Island.

Always open to (positive) suggestions as to how we can improve things for motorcyclists. I'll read everything, and steal any good ideas.

Tally ho.
    Cool - I hope you enjoy the future

I've had dealings with the Ride Forever people in this area - good people.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    R1200RT LC these days
    Ahh a regular thimbleweight
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Best of luck in the new role , will catch up with you when they send you to the Burt Munroe rally in February. You will be a asset to Dave and his team .they do a great job.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Big shoes to fill indeed. DK has done a great job.

Sadly the ones that need the most are the least likely to attend, then complain about ACC costs.

I do wonder if "type" training ads would be of use. So Cruiser specific training, then sport bike etc. Its the same really under the skin but a different way to hook attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I remember years ago the Police spent a day near Featherston stopping every rider coming off the Remutaka Hill for a friendly chat. I was impressed. No WOF or rego or licence checking, even if it was glaringly obvisious to them, just asking if we were interested in road safety courses or something along those lines. I think they had questionnaires for us abut riding and safety.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I need a new word for "safe".

Ride Forever courses, without doubt, scientifically proven, improve riders safety. But few people will go along to become safer. "Safe" is about as dull as an old English penny.

What words would attract you to do a course?

This applies right across the driver education sphere. Put the word "safe" in a course and it sounds dull.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Ride Forever courses, without doubt, scientifically proven, improve riders safety. But few people will go along to become safer. "Safe" is about as dull as an old English penny.

This applies right across the driver education sphere. Put the word "safe" in a course and it sounds dull.
    When I think about the training we have done I default to becoming a smarter and better rider rather than just a safer rider.

Something which has never been pushed for the courses we have completed is how much fun they are!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    When I think about the training we have done I default to becoming a smarter and better rider rather than just a safer rider.

Something which has never been pushed for the courses we have completed is how much fun they are!
    Food for thought. Thanks.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    One of the sentiments I've heard is, I ride my bike for fun, training takes the fun out of it...

Preconceptions of course, but that's what you're trying to combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    One of the sentiments I've heard is, I ride my bike for fun, training takes the fun out of it...

Preconceptions of course, but that's what you're trying to combat.
    With training, the fun goes when you are still learning. Regardless of what you are training to do. Learning new ways to help yourself keep safe can be hard work ... but the chance of living longer should make the time spent worthwhile. But the value is noticeable when you put the training into practice on a ride ... and find they were right.

A large proportion of my motorcycling is fun. But on a number of trips ... long distance (going home) in the rain and wind (the odd time in the dark as well) it is far from fun. And when circumstances repeat itself ... we (well most of us) do it again. Such is motorcycling.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    become a better rider,improve your riding,become visible.Training should be free we all pay a extra levy to the acc on top of our "no fault" levy

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Ride smarter - Ride better - Ride home - Ride forever

Cheesy and impossible for us mortals.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A

The harsh reality might be that any post-licence training creates two broad groups of riders.
    One group becomes safer (and in the process often faster as well) whereas the other group now merely crashes at a higher speed.

We need to appeal to someone's ego to attend a course, then put a leash on that ego during the course, while we alter their outlook.

Had a chap today who was astonished how an eye lead time of 12 seconds or more made him faster, whilst feeling slower, all because he now has more "time to react" now where have I read that before?? Oh and safer as well, which wasn't lost on him, yet he got more excited about going faster.
    Can't see ACC being keen to promote R4E along the lines of "be faster than your riding mates" anytime soon though.

Thread Information