Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Position

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yeah but a day at the track in controlled situations can leave you to try differnt things, improve, insert that into your memory banks then when out on the roads you can leave that part to what now comes naturally, and your focus is on other things, like girls in scholl uniforms which are rare at the track
    For some road riders, suggesting they spend a bit of time at the track in order to learn transferable skills, seems to offend them as much as suggesting they wear the school girls' skirt.

I'm not a racer at all, but I do venture to the track on occasion. For me it's about what my bike is capable of, changing lines thru a corner, leaning further, accurate throttle use in a safe environment. Or even something as mundane as tyre pressures and suspension settings

A new tagline to use for R4E, I'll go with the "train hard, ride easy" one already suggested

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I've always liked the line of 'Do your machine justice by riding it better'. All our machines are marvels of modern engineering - I don't care what you ride it is an impressive piece of design and human achievement. Therefore I view wanting to ride it better as entirely normal. Having done my recent track day at Taupo on my MV Rivale it was the rider who was the limiting factor, not the machine. The same applies to riding on the roads IMHO.
    Agree Navy, its all about the turkey on the bars in my book !
    Every time I get off mine,I'm thinking "that bike is way better than me" .

and No ! I don't need a rider training course !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the move. Will have to introduce you to the House of Boyles. Pete's tidied it up a bit but ones bike still aquires some greasy paw marks after a service so hope has not been lost.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I know the rules on filtering and lane splitting very well. I've lectured on them for some years.

I'm moving to Wellington, from Rangiora, where lane splitting in basically no existent. Mind you, even if I could, I probably wouldn't.

But in Wellington, I might reconsider. I'll only ever do it legally, as it would be hypocritical to do otherwise.
    had some clown doing it today when i was lane changing, he was about three cars back, i drive a hi top van and had my indicator on for plenty of time, the cars had made a gap and even after i'd seen him clearly several cars backand started moving he still cut through, he won't last long, i knew he was there but a lot wouldn't it was a perfect storm for a crash.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    For some road riders, suggesting they spend a bit of time at the track in order to learn transferable skills, seems to offend them as much as suggesting they wear the school girls' skirt.

I'm not a racer at all, but I do venture to the track on occasion. For me it's about what my bike is capable of, changing lines thru a corner, leaning further, accurate throttle use in a safe environment. Or even something as mundane as tyre pressures and suspension settings

A new tagline to use for R4E, I'll go with the "train hard, ride easy" one already suggested
    when my mrs was learning we took her to the track, slow as but she learned a heap in a controlled environment and same corner every couple of minutes was perfect, then she rode the parapara, i said take every yellow signed corner with a speed on it at that speed, i insilled confidence in her that these were set by a pendulum in a car and she learn't heaps from doing those corners with a preset level of confidence in them

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    when my mrs was learning we took her to the track, slow as but she learned a heap in a controlled environment and same corner every couple of minutes was perfect, then she rode the parapara, i said take every yellow signed corner with a speed on it at that speed, i insilled confidence in her that these were set by a pendulum in a car and she learn't heaps from doing those corners with a preset level of confidence in them
    That pendulum test is a bit old school, but still valid.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    had some clown doing it today when i was lane changing, he was about three cars back, i drive a hi top van and had my indicator on for plenty of time, the cars had made a gap and even after i'd seen him clearly several cars backand started moving he still cut through, he won't last long, i knew he was there but a lot wouldn't it was a perfect storm for a crash.
    Yep - Riding to and from work during the week on the scooter you see plenty of poorly-advised filtering carried out by bikers. As convenient as filtering is you are opening yourself up to being in car drivers' blind spots and as such it's up to the motorcyclist to be prepared to stop in a suitably appropriate distance. Having said that done at a sensible speed and without too much speed differential between you and the other vehicles it is one of the things that makes biking to work particularly satisfying.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Yep - Riding to and from work during the week on the scooter you see plenty of poorly-advised filtering carried out by bikers. As convenient as filtering is you are opening yourself up to being in car drivers' blind spots and as such it's up to the motorcyclist to be prepared to stop in a suitably appropriate distance. Having said that done at a sensible speed and without too much speed differential between you and the other vehicles it is one of the things that makes biking to work particularly satisfying.
    I'm going to learn that when I get into the new role. The Centennial Highway sounds plum for it.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Met some others riders today and rode with them back to Auckland. Very obvious that the person I followed had done a R4E course by their positioning in corners.

I usually ride on my own but it was a pleasure to follow someone who knew how to ride. An all too rare experience.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Met some others riders today and rode with them back to Auckland. Very obvious that the person I followed had done a R4E course by their positioning in corners.

I usually ride on my own but it was a pleasure to follow someone who knew how to ride. An all too rare experience.
    You'll find that Roadcraft, which is used by R4E, is by no means unique to R4E. You won't learn Roadcraft in one outing...it's a process not an event

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post

C'mon tell the truth. You were just admiring his sweet checks in those tight leathers.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    You'll find that Roadcraft, which is used by R4E, is by no means unique to R4E. You won't learn Roadcraft in one outing...it's a process not an event

Indeed. R4E is a snapshot of Roadcraft, at least how I present it.

Advanced skills are the basics done consistently and well.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    C'mon tell the truth. You were just admiring his sweet checks in those tight leathers.
    I don't follow that close!

Thread Information