Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on the road. '76 CB550F Super Sport

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Cleaning the years of accumulated boot rubber off the exhaust. These wee beauties were designed to keep legs and feet well tucked in when riding instead of out spread like a hooker ready for her next customer. Laminated the torque wrench tables. Not being rapped in plastic is a big advantage as well. If you have an off just pick the bike up, dust yourself off and keep on going. No crying over how much it's going to cost to replace/refurbish that egg shell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191216_102538[1].jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	654.4 KB 
ID:	343908  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Going through the bits n bobs I need for the spare engine rebuild. Plenty of top gasket sets. I think I paid $5 for 4 sets about 25 years ago. The cardboard that had the crank case bolts in have gotten soggy over the years so I'll have to do an in place fitment and make another couple of cardboard templates up. Bottem end shells need replacement and I need new camchain/tensioner/guide and primary drive chain. That's about it really. Castings aren't as worn as the ones on the bike were so no need to manufacture bushes. Might need to get bottem end seals but I never had to on my first build which has more then 160,000kms total up. I'll give them a good look over and decide then.

This engines been involved in a serious off at one stage. Some major welding done in a couple of places on the points side.

Name:	20191217_080334[1].jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	596.9 KB 
ID:	343924  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Connie gave me a #2 phillips screw driver with a broken tip. Ground most of the tip out, quenched and finished off with a small flat file. Now I have a flat bladed screw driver ideal for adjusting card air screws.

A bit wet today so I'm confind to a 2m x 3m area out in the shed to play in. Too cold for any paint spraying as well. We have put high quality lamps in the shed light sockets which make carrying out tasks much easier.

Connie bought me a cell phone just in case I go on extended tootles so she wont worry what's happened. First one ever.

Name:	20191218_103536[1].jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	460.6 KB 
ID:	343928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191218_111519[1].jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	595.2 KB 
ID:	343929  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    If you go on Ebay you can buy P2 JIS screwdriver for very little. These fit Japanese screws in a way that will make you a believer. Heres a set which will do everything you need bar the large size which is impact driver fodder anyway.

You will enjoy them I promise. Ebay will add gst on top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vessel-Mega...edirect=mobile
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Cheers F5 Dave. Something to keep in mind. I do have a good selection of good quality phillips screw driers I inherited from my step son.

Back from visiting the ralitives over in Hawkes Bay. For the return trip I chose a to come back via the back roads behind Te Mata Peak though the back of Waipawa, Waipuk. Taihapi and Ormondville. Quite a head wind but dispite that enjoyed the ride immensely. Last time I traveled that route was about 6 years ago. Not in any particular hurry and the bike ran smoothly without issue at all. Thats the nice thing about riding alone. You don't feel presured to push it too hard. Got home lubed the chain and checked the the oil level. It's using around 150ml per 400kms so not bad at all. A damn sight better than my old CX at 1ltr per 500kms. Certainly not enough to justify a rebuild. The front brake pads seemed to have beaded in. Still on a single disk up front but that'll change soon enough. On these ol dears a combination of both front/rear brakes and engine breaking by a change down one is the best way to pull them up. I'll give her a bit of a wipe over. Nothing too intensive, Wipe the rear wheel of excess chain lube and a quick wipe over with an oily rag should do it.

On the way over to the Bay we hit heavy rain around Norsewood and I was expecting some coughs and splutters but nothing of the sort occured. The coils and leads are original with two caps replaced. Dried out fairly quickly coming in to Waipuk so no need to stop to put on leggings. At Waipawa there's a bike shop called SJS Motor Cycles Ltd. All sorts of older stuff there. An older Triumph twin. Iron Head Harley on the servicing stand, what looked like a 650 Katana up next for servicing and a few other 80s jappas out front in fairly reasonable nick for their age. Simon, the owner, seems to like working on the older stuff. Worth having a chat with him if you are over that way.

All the best for the new year guys n gals as well as the 105 genders and those who identify as Gold fish or Pandas.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    If you go on Ebay you can buy P2 JIS screwdriver for very little. These fit Japanese screws in a way that will make you a believer. Heres a set which will do everything you need bar the large size which is impact driver fodder anyway.

You will enjoy them I promise. Ebay will add gst on top.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vessel-Mega...edirect=mobile
    ..and their OTT shipping charges. Ebay used to be really good back in the early 00's, I bought and sold lots of car and bike parts.
    You could even get things like BMW gearboxes shipped surface mail then. Now like TM its mostly cheap junk.
    Q: Is it only the big players that add GST?, might work out cheaper than the MAF/customs ticket clipping.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I dought GST being paid will stop customs/maf doing their thing. There'll be the usual rendom searches, I got hit on my last import.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I came back that way on Saturday with a few course corrections for gravel we didn't know how long it was. Got nailed by hail for a while as we continued down near Alfredtown but was fine back to Wellywood.

With Ebay it's all about the size and how they calculate the postal cost. Just look around.

Phillips screw heads are supposed to Cam out to avoid over tightening. But that same system makes them rubbish for undoing stuff.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    An impact driver is your freind. Usually don't have too much bother with plillips screws. On more finiky ones a quick squirt with crc 5.56 around the head , let it penetrate and a short sharp tap on the end of the screwdriver while twisting usually does the job. If it does get too damaged and i don't have a good spare I just replace them with allen head screws. Done that with all the 550s engine side covers.

I know those roads fairly well. Skinny tyres are were it's at traveling closer to the coast. When I first went over that area with a map. If you stopped to have a gander at it you could bet someone would rock with on a horse or 4 wheel drive and ask if you needed help.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Nice wee 170km toodle today to break in the new year. Mainly exploring some back roads and about 15kms on State Highway 1. Hit a patch of gravel, a mile or so, that led to a dead end. I was surprised how well the Clubman bars managed things. Not bad at all. Don't think I'll bother washing her just yet as as I have a few interesting routes lined up for later in the week. Generally not one for cleaning every time the bike gets a spec of dust on it. Chain and sprockets will get a bit of attention though.

Pulled the battery and topped up the electrolite.

Name:	20200101_172543[1].jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	783.8 KB 
ID:	344063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200101_172532[1].jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	787.8 KB 
ID:	344062  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    During yesterdays run I noticed that the clutch lever needed to be pulled in about 1/2 way to disengage the clutch. On inspection today the handle bar adjustment was almost to max adjustment and the same with the one near the clutch itself. Seems the inner is about a cm or so longer than stock, Adjusted the hande bar adjustment almost all the way back in fitted the lower adjusting nut from the damAged old cable to the lower adjusting screw. Readjusted the cable so there is about 2mm play at the lever, than tested clutch engagement/disengagement with the bike running All good now with plenty of adjustment left. so ready now for the next run.

Cleaned up the battery box of a bit of surface rust and treated it then refitted the battery.

Name:	20200102_195037[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	344071  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Just pricing sprockets for the ol girl. For a pair the pricing seems to vary around $90 to $150 depending on were I get the quote from. Ofg course there's postage on top of that. Any members havs a good source of local suppliers. I've got a quote from Malcome at Ecohonda but was wondering what other local outfits in the North or South Island could supply them. I'm in no hurry. Thanks in advance.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    After some looking around I can source exactly the size sprockts I wanted from Partzilla at a good price. I'll order them next week and they should be here by months end.

Nice quiet ride today. Didn't go too far as my tummy was acting funny. About 4kms of gravel was the order of day. Seems more of the road has been sealed. 2000kms till next oil/filter change.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ride while you can. Enjoy life.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    New brake and clutch levers arrived today from 4into1.com Will make things easier for my aging hands as the clutch on these things are heavy and front braking needs a bit of effort as well. Just 10 minutes to fit. Puts the lever action 2cm closer to the bars compared to the original style levers. Cost $nz35 delivered to my address. Now time to order those sprockets.....18 tooth front and 36 tooth rear giving a bit higher gear over stock. Ordered a RK530 102 link chain from Amazon.

Also have to re rust prep the orange tank. The old BackGuard I was using had separated and gone hard at the bottem of the container so basicly it was just water at the top and it made matters worse. Went to Bunnings and got the equivalent in a 1ltr bottle. I've done one coat already and will give it two more coats over the next few days. I'll put the used stuff in a separate container for external use on the frame or any other rusty steal items I have laying about.

Name:	20200113_112454[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	645.3 KB 
ID:	344221  

Thread Information