Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Back on the road. '76 CB550F Super Sport

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Asked Sarah the parts girl at AFC to order a set of Shinko tyres for the ol gal.

1x 3.25x19 front @ $66 rrp inc gst and 1 x 110/90/18 rear @ $107 rrp inc gst. That's around 12,000kms of riding. Don't need to be fitted just yet but will be readiy for winter.

I'll get them around lunch time as there are a couple of tin tops blocking my way at the moment.

Damn this motorcycling lark is just sooo expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200130_161010[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	344474  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Tidying the orange tank after rust proofing the inside. This tank was brand new stored in its original box in a nice dry place but still suffered from condensation over 40 years in storage. The inside was showing rust and a few patches of spidey rust trails were poking through the original paint on the left outside portion just above the Honda badge mounts.

I used quik rust converter and primer at $50 for 1ltr from Bunnings. Just give the container a good shake to mix the contents then pour a suitable amount(I found 250mls enough) in the tank with the tank fuel tap tube sealed up to pevent leaking. Put the filler cap on with a bit of rag to give a better seal. Shake in all directions till you get full coverage of inside of the tank. When you are happy with the inside coverage taking special attention to get it into those seam joints. When you are happy drain all the liquid out (it'll be blackish/grey in colour) into an old clean container for use on other projects. You probably will get a bit of rust scale with the first application so may want to sieve that out. Wipe off any residue on the tanks exterior with a damp rag. Leave to dry completely for a few days.

Do this two more times to get a relatively thick coverage of the metal inside. The solution will dry completely black as shown in the first pic. It does get a bit messy at times so I suggest you wear disposable gloves when doing this. After the third coat is done tidy up the outside of the tank of minor left over dried spillage using a course polisihing compound or used schotchbright pad.

In normal use the instructions say just two coats then paint. I figure three coats would be better for tanks. Just give the stuff plenty of time to dry is the key here. Hope this proves useful.

Once I've prepped the outside rust spots I'll paint with the touchup paint I got for the side covers.

Name:	20200130_120422[1].jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	374.3 KB 
ID:	344472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200130_140224[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	344473  

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...hey Bonez, please take this as an innocuous question...do you drink a lot of coffee?...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Yes. But trying to cut down on the stuff. I suffer from insomnia as well. My Doc gave me a packet of little blue pills to knock me out if need be. I try not to over use them for addiction sake as they really ruin the next day.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...no, don't cut down on anything...you are entertaining...

I only come here to be entertained...it is sadly, lacking...gotten that way...mostly...

..don't ever forget that the 'crux of the biscuit is the apostrphe', ....gotten nuthin to do wif spellin...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Pleased I could help. Yeah too many gumpy cunts complaining about Trump here. They should stick to Twitter.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Yes. But trying to cut down on the stuff. I suffer from insomnia as well. My Doc gave me a packet of little blue pills to knock me out if need be. I try not to over use them for addiction sake as they really ruin the next day.
    Little blue pills? No wonder you can't sleep.
    I have to leave coffee right alone. It gives me a feeling of awful dread & revs me right up.
    Try flagging it away for a couple of weeks & see how you go. It's about understanding the triggers & managing them.
    If I didn't, I'd be in for a wild ride.
    Have you tried half a tab?
    I had some major stress related reactions a few years ago, I found a 5mg Xanax & a glass of wine was the best sleeping pill with no nasty affects at all. It switched off a busy mind.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Cheers Bob. Also thanks for that CB500/550 contact info as well. I'm sure it will come in handy.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The bike does have braided lines. Has done for a while. It has a new master cylinder. Single disk at the moment with second disk and new lower braided lines ready to go on. I've had the disks dilled as well. Levers are fitted and seem to do what I want. Just old age setting in I think. The clutch action has always been on the heavy side since I bought the bike in 1986. Throttle action is also heavy on these things due to the double return spring setup in the carb bank. Maybe they were just real men riding m/cs back then instead of liimp wristerd soyboys.
    I just saw this bit about the heavy throttle.
    My 750f1 expierence was being marred by a heavy throttle.
    I got one of those small spiral key rings & wound it onto the return spring hole on the carb mounting bar & hooked the spring onto that, effectively reducing the pretension on the spring.
    The throttle feels very nice now, but is mildly dependant on the throttle off cable.
    Perfectly balanced & lubricated throttle on & throttle off cables improve the riding pleasure as well.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Good tip. I'm use to the throttle after all these years of ownership. The XF650s is nice though.

Name:	DSC_0000015.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	344487  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Friggin AWESOME ride today. 140kms of premium back roads. Talked to some kids at a farm house when I stopped for a stretch. Tailed a young deaf lass new to riding on a midsize Suzuki who was a bit tense in the pee gravel but other wise fine toodling along at her own pace. We pulled over to let some cars pass. A quick nod, thumps up and smile showed she was enjoying herself. Gutsy Gal. Caught up with an old riding mate I haven't seen for about six years. His wifeys LS650 is hooked up to a neat sidecar and he showed me his new acquisition. His freind Steve was there. I've riden with him and Roger in the past. He recently had a stroke and finds it difficult riding his BMW chair setup.

It;s not the distance but the quality of the ride and the folk you meet along the way....................

Name:	DSC_0000017.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	758.6 KB 
ID:	344556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000018.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	344557  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Found the CBs original rego papers today. Tim Coleman did 50,000kms on it'

Goodness I'm having flashbacks of Kevin "Bubbles" Grey, Jimmy Steadman and a few others

Name:	20200212_112123[1].jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	630.6 KB 
ID:	344652  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Jimmy pops into KB bucket section on occasion as Jato or something..
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Thanks Dave. I can remember when bucket racing first started up.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Got some decals made up for the alternator and points cover. They look rather smart. Very resonable at $30 for the pair.

Datials of the lass that did them:
    Sharon Aldridge

COMPUTER SIGNS
    16 Bennett street, unit 6
    palmerston north
    06 3555 843 027 260 4730
    info@computersigns.co.nz

Off for a ride this arvo to get some more riding experience.

Name:	20200213_121917[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	419.9 KB 
ID:	344654  

Thread Information