Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Back on the road. '76 CB550F Super Sport

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Nice wee toodle this morning and dare I say it was outside the city limits by golly gosh. About 6 kms of gravel or should say mud. You see it was a tad damp but obviously I was dressed for the occasion. To To and all. No sliding on any road condition I came across. Also the ride gave me a good opportunity to test out my new helmet in torrential rain. It's pretty damn good. Nice wide field of view and even though I had it nipped open a couple of cms not much water got in..

The ol gal fired up first push on the starter button this morning. I'd adjusted the rear new brake shoes perfectly yesterday so there was no need to adjust them during the ride. Quick after ride inspection showed everything was okey dokey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000063.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	346062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000064.jpg 
Size:	656.0 KB 
ID:	346063  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Bit of maintenance on the ol gal. Adjusted the cam chain tentionor, quite an easy task.Rocker covers off and made sure the rockers rocked at tdc and put the caps back on. tweaked down the 4 outer head nuts 5 ft/ibs which stopped the usual sohc head oil seep. Clean the 500 carbs float bowls of gunge built up over the last 5,000 or so kms over the last 6 months. Due WoF next week so will fit the quieter reverse cone muffler. Saves arguments with the inspectors. Only a 10 minute job.. Lock wired the card choke lever open to save embarrassment around town of stalling when my boots clip it to the on position. Still starts first push of the starter with fresh fuel and charged battery. Not bad for a 1976 vehicle which has done over 160,000kms on standard pistons and not much oil usage. Next oil change due in 3,000kms so will give her another good look over then and change the fork oil.

Oh yeah did I mention center stands are handy for carrying out servicing and can be use any time on your weee toodle outside of city limit. Oh yes the CB550 does have enough puff that for as well

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I had full intentions on getting a Wof today as I'd tested out the electrics last night. Went to the local gas station to fill her up as she was on reserve and noticed the rear light wasn't functioning, rear brake light was fine. I thought maybe the filament had gone kaput so when iI paid for the petrol I got a rear double filament bulb and borrowed a no2 phillips screw screw driver from the attendant. pulled the rear lens off and fitted the new bulb, tested iot and still no rear tail light." Bugger" I thought no Wof with that not functioning. So buttoned everything up, returned the screwdriver and thanked the attendant, then went back home.

To cut a long story short it was just the tail light 7 amp fuse that was at fault. Looked fine and no sign on of breakage or burning but the multi-meter captured the culprit. During the process I had to make a new ground tag for the tail light housing as the original had snap off trying to remove the tail light ground wire connection . Used a terminal, after removing the plastic insulator, and crushed the part you crimp flat so it fitted in to the tail light earth wire connector. Drilled a small hole in the back of the tail light housing, then using a self tapping screw with hex head and washer to secure the terminal to the tail light housing. Checked everything out. Worked a treat... Even the LED driving light pack I'd connected to the park light circuit lit up when I flicked the light switch to the park position on the RH switch block. Adjusted the LED pack so it wasn't pointing directly at on coming motorists. It's actually brighter than the low beam.

Found the A3 coloured wire diagram I'd enlarged from the Clymer manual very handy for my not to good near sight vision..

No Wof today. I just mucked around with a few other bit n pieces such tyrapping the main loon in several places and do some wire relocation behind the head light as well as under the tank where the main loom and forward sub loom connect. Gave the area under the tank a good clean while I was at it.

Bad time trying to get to sleep tonight. Insomnia is bitch. If it is fine tomorrow I might go for a wee punt.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Oh goody out of the naughty room. Wonder how pritch n co. enjoyed there stay? Two way street you Bozos

The CB550 is booked in for a WoF tomorrow morning. Trying a garage this time Doug use to take his 500 Pantah to.

Went over the forward part of the electrics that are in the front sub-loom, head light, instruments and handle bar controls. All running perfect now. The high beam, both indicator and neutral connections were showing a high resistance or open circuit. These wires are a smaller gauge than the rest of the loom. Removed the old bullet connectors, stripped the wire, then made the end of the insulation a slight cone shape with sand paper so they fit neatly in to the end of the new bullet crimp end. Just used generic automotive bullet connectors. Pulled the hard plastic portion off the crimp end. Makes for a tidier look when fitted to the loom connectors. After that all lights mentioned before worked perfectly.

All four of tacho/speedo lights were blown. The CB400/4 they came off must have had a bad short by the looks, Replaced those and now all good.

Inspected the wiring in the handle bar control blocks and did some relocating to stop possible pinching of the wires.

I put a rubber strip along the top each of the LH side cover to prevent excessive dust or water getting in to the connectors and electrical bits behind it. The gap beforehand was about 2cm. quite a bit.

Touched up the RH side cover where the original paint had broken away using a banana box as a spray booth.

A few other little bits n pieces touched with black gloss enamel.

Pic of the tail light tab repair attached.

All ready to puffity put on outside those city limit......

Name:	DSC_0000089.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	403.2 KB 
ID:	346348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000088.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	346349  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Almost forgot. I replaced the front caliper pucks. Comparing the old ones to he new it was obvious the old pucks pad area was about the depth of where to new pucks lower wear limit mark was. The piston must have been close to maximum travel. I've had the new Vesrah sintered pucks in storage for around three decades just in case the ones on the bike needed replacement. So now was the time.

Greased the caliper pivot along with the mounting bolts. Undid the master cylinder cap a few turns leaving it on and placed a damp rag around the circumference of the cylinder. This was to catch any brake fluid when the caliper plunger is pushed back in to the caliper. Used one of Connies wood work clamps to push the piston in. Wiped any brake fluid that had been forced out with the damp rag. I then fitted the new pucks in then mounted the caliper halves on the arm with the mounting bolts. Tightened up the master cylinder cap after checking the fluid level Pulled the brake lever in to push the piston and pucks into contact with the front brake disc.

Went for a wee ride, 10kms or so applying the front brake on a regular basis to bead it in a bit.. Boy what a difference it made. Very happy with the result It'll be interesting when I fit the dual disk set up later in the year..

Happy riding all.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Took the bike to the garage in for a Wof today. Just two issues the front pads were binding on the disk and the front tyre had less than 2mm of tread. Both easy fixes. The pad issue was the puck in the A (one with the piston) caliper housing was sticking so a bit of sand paper on the puck back metal portion got that sorted. Fitted the front 19x3.25 Sinko I had ready and waiting. Old tube and rim strip were fine so reused them. Went back to the garage just before they shut up shop and picked up the WoF.

I'm in the process of making a carb over flow catch bottle using an old medicine bottle which will be located behind the engine under the battery behind the RH side cover. So mostly out of view. I've attached a drain tube from it witch is plugged at the bottom end. I can remove the plug at leisure and drain the catch bottle. At the bottom inside the catch bottle were the tube goes though is a seal around 2mm high. That will catch any crud and prevent it from entering the drain tube. The catch bottle will be held in position by tyraps.Did a test fitment this morning before I took the bike to the garage.

Replaced one RH side cover retaining grommet which had split in it's 40 something years of use. Got plenty spare from bikes I'd wrecked over the years.

All n all a good day.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Some pics of the catch bottle. I had some black plastic sealing strip, so covered most of the white bottle body with that leaving the top portion white so there is contrast between the carb overflow tubes and the bottle for easy location if for some reason I need to remove and refit the overflow tubes. The drain tube fitted nicely between the back of the swing arm and rear of the engine and pokes down 2" be;ow the engine, just below the sump, it for easy access.

For you kids the sticker to the right on the frame below the bottle is a "next oil change sticker". No needs for silly apps or on board sensors to remind you. It right next to the oil cap/dipstick for easy viewing.

Name:	DSC_0000090.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	346368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000091.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	346367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000093.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	585.9 KB 
ID:	346365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000092.jpg 
Size:	623.3 KB 
ID:	346366  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Bought a range extender for the ol gal today. Low profile plastic petrol container from Super Cheap Autos. I'll look for a small hand pump tomorrow to transfer fuel from it to the main tank. I'll mount as shown on a foam pad if I decide to do some extended runs. Should give me a bit over a 100kms extra.

Name:	DSC_0000094.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	345.0 KB 
ID:	346369  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Nice wee sedate 255km toodle today. Fielding-Stormy Point-Hunterville. Topped up at Hunterville then on to Wangavagas via Fordell. Had a snack and stretch at the park then back through Fordell-Marton then back to balmy Palmy.

Cracker day for it and a few other riders taking the opportunity to get out and about.

Name:	DSC_0000117.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	346782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000118.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	346781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000119.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	346780  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    House work done, been to Bunnings to buy some bits 'n bobs. What to do now I ask myself? Nice day out there so why not go for a scoot over to the Wirewrapper I answered.

Checked over the ol gal over as I hadn't done a post ride check yesterday. Forks straight, no damage to the fairing or engine casings Oil level ok.Tyres ok. Drive chain fine. Lights work etc etc. Dressed up for the occasion, fired her up and off to the local Z petrol station to top the go juice top up.

Off over the Track to Pahiatua and visit the Susuki shop. Some nice old bikes there. so well worth the visit if you are in the area. After that looped around some two lane unmarked back roads to Oringi. Then across the Highway on to the Saddle road via more back roads and off home.

Those cheap Dririder gloves are getting more comfortable with every ride.

Fuel consumption is 47 miles per Imp gallon, so well within the margin of error when taken off the shop floor in Feb '76.

135kms all up. That is a combined total of just over 800kms this month so far on the CB550 and XF650. Months only half over....

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Pics from yesterdays ride.

Name:	DSC_0000122.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	692.3 KB 
ID:	346794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000121.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	641.4 KB 
ID:	346793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000124.jpg 
Size:	518.5 KB 
ID:	346795  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Range extender kit completed. Got a plastic tub with top from The Storage Box, an old spare small pack frame with the same distance apart to fit on the existing L brackets I had laying about, some plastic pipe/cable holders and ladder strap from Bunnings. I had plenty of foam for packing. Two options to up the ol gal. The quick way using a funnel if in a hurry. The slow way if I'm not in a hurry using the syphen pump while having a chat. snack or long break. The latchable ladder strap will keep the lid on the tub while on the road.

Name:	IMAG0051.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	733.3 KB 
ID:	346801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0050.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	346802  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Pretty dreary day out side and the three ugly sister are out having lunch together. What no better time to go out to the shed and have a play with ol Darky. pushed the XF650 out under the car port for some swinging the cat room, position Darky for easy access to the the muffler.

Remove the muffler and pull the baffle insert out.

Grab a bit of that Pink Bats I pinched from the neighbors a few weeks ago and fit it around the baffle insert.

Grab some ali mesh off an old piece used by Connies twins when they were in to Stock Car and Side Car racing.

Wrap that around the outside of the Pink Bats and stitch together with 22 thou lockwire. Making sure I threaded some though the baffle insert tube holes.

Refit to muffler. Refit muffler to Darky.

JOB DONE!

A half an hours work from start to finish. Now to find another project to do......

Name:	IMAG0092.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	512.8 KB 
ID:	347266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0093.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	495.4 KB 
ID:	347265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0095.JPG 
Size:	473.3 KB 
ID:	347264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0096.JPG 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	347263  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Ol gal is still racking up the kms. About 800kms a month Last long trip it decided she didn't want the rh (battery side) side cover any more. One since 1976 isn't bad at all. In less than a fortnight I had a brand new replacement one from Malcolme at Te Aroha and had it painted with decals fitted. Not bad for an ancient Japper. The CB550F is running better and cleaner on 98 petrol. About 15lms more from a tank as well. So mpg is at around 48 now so makes up for the extra cost.

I see the Burk is black marking ancient posts of mine The poor darling. She misses me that much...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Ol gal is still racking up the kms. About 800kms a month Last long trip it decided she didn't want the rh (battery side) side cover any more. One since 1976 isn't bad at all. In less than a fortnight I had a brand new replacement one from Malcolme at Te Aroha and had it painted with decals fitted. Not bad for an ancient Japper. The CB550F is running better and cleaner on 98 petrol. About 15lms more from a tank as well. So mpg is at around 48 now so makes up for the extra cost.

I see the Burk is black marking ancient posts of mine The poor darling. She misses me that much...
    you been ok mate, missed ya and hope all was well

Thread Information