Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Back on the road. '76 CB550F Super Sport

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Nice wee 380km round trip on Darky over to Hastings and back yesterday. Test rode a Royal Enfield 650 twin Intercepter. Liked it very much. Easy to ride and maintenance would be easy to do by an owner. Road it around to dads at Havelock North. Uncle Barry who also road m,/cs was visting at the time. Both quite like the appearance of the RE650. After the test ride I returned to dads and chin wagged for a couple of hours.

Returned home to Palmy via HW 50, Takapua, late lunch at Ormondiville on a very comfortable couch., then on to Dannyvagas, Topgrass rd- Penfold rd etc, then over the Saddlle rd through Ashaurst and off home. Awesome day for riding.

Drained the carbs this morning to clear any crap build up. I try to do this half way between an oil/filter change, so every 2000kms on the CB550F.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	348692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0043.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	348693  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Got a few things done over the last few days.

While I was charging up the battery with the trickle charger I attached a lead to the positive terminal. Ran the lead down the inside of the rear mudguard to just below the bottem edge of the RH side cover and attached a suitable connector to the end. Made a blank to block the fitting from getting dirt etc in it and prevent the volts from falling out.

Fitted some rubber beading on the front top edge of ali mesh sump protector. This to stop inquisative childrem cutting themselves on the sharp edges. Also stops the KB Kniingy Circle Ladys nylon pantyhose, they can't afford shear silk ones, from being ripped to pieces,

I ordered a Whites shorty reverse cone muffler on TradeMe yesterday around lunch time. I arrived at around 10am today. It has the ability to have the back cone remove to replace/add or remove any fibreglass packing. Now I have three choices of muffler for Darky. It take less then 10 minutes to remove the current fitted one and fit one of the others. Gotta love the old gals for there easy access. No need to keep a box of 3M duct in the shed to repair an all encompising egg shell.

I bought the EMGO reverse cone muffler that is currently fitted to Darky over 25 years ago from Paul at what was Manawatu Motorckes, which Paul has sold. Over 70.000kms and not a a sigh of rust. The OEM muffler rotted out in less than 5 years.

Ride safe now.

Name:	IMAG0057.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	564.7 KB 
ID:	348739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0051.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	348731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0050.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	672.0 KB 
ID:	348732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0047.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	602.9 KB 
ID:	348730  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Dropped Connie off at the air port very early this morning. She's off to celebrate her youngest grandsons birthday. He is turning five this weekend in Invergiggle. She's hired a rental car so wont be relying on other folk for travel down there. So three weeks as a bachelor is me.

After doing having brikky, watering the gardens and doing a doing a bit of house work I hopped on Darky and headed down to Levin via Shannon. Brilliant. In two of the motorcyle shops it seemed as if I'd gone back to the '80s. had a chap at them to soom staff then off back home via Shannon.

Darky never missed a beat. I broke the 1k km mark this month riding down to Levin and back. I celedrated the event with a nice cold bottle of Bunderburge ginger bear, a complete box of chicken snax and what was left of the Boysenberry icecream.

Life is good.

Ride carefully out there folks.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Just recieved the used OEM clutch cable and switch assy that fits in the clutch levers, mount to allow me to start the ol gal in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, from Malcom at Anaconda in Te Aroha.. I'd ordered them yesterday.

The switch on my bike fell apart years ago.

The used clutch cable is just for spares. I don't mind using used components as long as they are in good condition and work as intended.

The new Motiion Pro clutch cable I fittted 14 months ago failed on Monday morniing while I was at Terrace End. Got back home by just reving her to 3500rpm an stop the gear lever in first.What had happed is the nipple on the MP is about 1/2 a mm saller than the socket it goes into on the lever itself and at some time had jammed in to one position peventing it to rotate in the socket when the lever was operated eventually beaking the wire strands clean at the nipple There was no indication that the cable was failing at all. This can be mitigated by putting a suitably small peice of plastic or nylon tubing around the MP nipple to take up the slack.

When I got home I pulled the MP clutch cable off then got on Goat ,the xXF640 , then went to a bike shop to have a new nipple fitted., the service advicer at Courtesy Motorcycles, took the task on no problem at all and had a mechanic repair it I picked it up later in the day.. SUPURB SERVICE. The replacement nipple was the correct size and there was minimal distance between the nipple and the lever socket. The used OEM clutch cable nipple is larger than the MP one as well

Fitted the repaired cable back on Darky, adjusted it and went for a wee ride to test everything was working correctly. It was.

Name:	IMAG0062.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	735.1 KB 
ID:	348747  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The old dear is still humming along over hill and dale outside the city limits

Finally got around to fitting the second disk brake/caliper assy. Not a hard job if you have the suitable parts and tools. around an hour all up, including bleeding the brakes with new brake fluid. The Australasian, Asian and European market CB550s have the caliper mounts on the feft front fork lower. The right disk just needs the inner alloy hole enlarged to fit the speedo drive lug assy and two notches on the inside of the disk alloy to hold the speedo drive lug assy in place and discard the old chrome covr as it is no longer needed on the bike. I got Colin Wheeler of TWO WHEELS ENG. to do the machine work a a reasonable cost. I've had Colin do quite a few jobs on my bikes and his workmanship is top notch. Wifh all the mods I've done the bike is still 9kgs under the stock wet weight.

Name:	IMG_20211025_152815.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	698.2 KB 
ID:	349895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211025_152830.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	707.1 KB 
ID:	349897   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211025_154634.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	573.2 KB 
ID:	349898  

Thread Information