Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Join vcc
    Evidence from manufacturer that was sent to NZ
    Stat dec. police not required now
    Old wof or old plate may be useful if still on system
    More paperwork the better
    Then vin process
    Thats why rego on hold is worth’s grand.
    Might be other ways but that works.
    ts 185..... would need some sentimental value😂
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    77 XL250

Blah

ts 185..... would need some sentimental value😂
    The value is in the fun of riding it.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Cleaned up clutch, replaced silicon with gaskets.
    Went for another 100 mile run, happy enough on motorway at 55 mph, vibration sets in and mental image of other 500 crankcase with holes punched by snapped rod.
    For a bike with virtually no rear suspension and questionable teles, it goes well on twisting backroads. The BMW throttle on thru corners assists.
    No oil leaks today, weeps don’t count.
    Rebuilt BTH is amazing, easy starter.
    Only annoying issues are idle speed too high despite slide fully down, wondering if auto advance springs are weak keeping it advanced at idle ?
    Front brake needs a skim and some pad arcing.
    On the whole no worse than a 500 single Enfield.
    Ready for NYD run to Kaiaua me thinks.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Probably just the carb is worn and the slide let's past a bunch more air than expected
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Probably just the carb is worn and the slide let's past a bunch more air than expected
    Could be, on the never ending to do list.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Lesson there is don't buy a bike that " needs re registering" unless it was imported pre 1999 as you need to jump thru
    more hoops to get it re vinned..
    what extra hoops?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Front brake switch ( lack off)
    No indicators
    I now have a exemption card.
    Only applies to post 1999 imports.

A sprung seat is better on a rigid, of course it's the first thing I got rid of, in hind sight, and spending a bit of time on my wife's T100, the sprung seat is better. You can just let the bike float around under you, none of that jarring stuff is transferred to the rider. The BTH is a classy mag, I used to snap up every one I came across...but good pickups were hard to find. The Monoblock was a superior carb, the slide is supported over a block, so wear is not really a problem like the concentric, but the slide is thin and easily damaged. Check the idle jet is fully seated. If it's got an oil pressure telltale button, you'll always have an oil weep - before smartphones and GPS were available to us, we could distract ourselves from traffic conditions by checking oil pressure while riding.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Hey Volly! if you've a mind too I'd be a starter for kaiaua tomorra!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    It’s a NYD VCC run.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    A sprung seat is better on a rigid, of course it's the first thing I got rid of, in hind sight, and spending a bit of time on my wife's T100, the sprung seat is better. You can just let the bike float around under you, none of that jarring stuff is transferred to the rider. The BTH is a classy mag, I used to snap up every one I came across...but good pickups were hard to find. The Monoblock was a superior carb, the slide is supported over a block, so wear is not really a problem like the concentric, but the slide is thin and easily damaged. Check the idle jet is fully seated. If it's got an oil pressure telltale button, you'll always have an oil weep - before smartphones and GPS were available to us, we could distract ourselves from traffic conditions by checking oil pressure while riding.
    The sprung hub seems to do some work as suspension...
    Front forks clunk over large bumps so they are best avoided.
    My new Guru thought the high idle was more likely the Monobloc running lean with air whistling past the slide , which F5 Dave flagged.
    So put the pre monobloc back on with a new 140 main and it sure runs better and even idles.
    Apologies to Lucas for blaming the AAU although I'd prefer a manual one for the BTH.
    The oil pressure tell tale seems to keep the oil in, unlike the head gasket.
    Yeah.... looking down by your foot seems an odd place for an oil pressure indicator, nearly as useful as the gear change one by your foot.
    Got really adventurous and ran it up to over 70 MPH on a private road under controlled conditions, seemed stable enough although it felt very fast and the vibration was very noticeable.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Great day down the coast on the Tiger with the VCC annual NYD Fish and Chip run.
    Clocked up just over 120 miles taking it to 550 since recommission in early December.
    Comfortable cruising speed is between 80 and 100 kmph, after that the vibration starts to get annoying.
    Front tele forks work adequately but have an annoying clunk on rebound on large bumps.
    The Sprung Hub seems to get on with the job and offers a degree of suspension.
    Steering is good and you can crank it over in the corners more than you would expect.
    Rear brake is 8" and works well, front is 7" and being a 1/2 width pretty poor.

Parts availability is pretty good for these and I'm going 21st century next with positive earth 6 Volt LED lights so as to give the 70 less than eager some incentive to do some work.
    The pre Monoblock is working ok but needs a new main jet block as a bit rich, fortunately you can get new Amal parts.
    Mitas tyres are good period look and only $100 each.

The fish and chips were good, washed down with L and P.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	591.6 KB 
ID:	344065

Bike
    husaberg
    You are indeed spoilt with the carb which is i guess a 276.The entire carb is still in production by amal.
    PRICES
    276 model : £334.00
    289 model (dependant on specification) from £334.00 – £380.00
    https://surreycycles.com/carburettors/amal-276/
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    I don't think those forks have a top-out buffer spring. Parts book will tell you.
    It's easy enough to cut an inch or so of old shock spring and put it above the bottom bush on the stanchion.
    Alternatively, a tapered urethane bush on there will do the same job.

The AMC teledraulics I have apart at present have a buffer spring - and rubber limit stop buffers too.
    Much more refined - and expensive.

I'm still after a pre-unit Triumph rear wheel....or just a hub complete.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    118 miles today, Scenic Drive, Helensville for coffee, back via shore and ( drum roll) the Harbour Bridge and motorway to Penrose.
    Might look at some repop Hella bar end indicators for city use.
    Also ordering set pos earth led lights to ease joes load.

Thread Information