Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I use a under 50cc scooter for my learners exam

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    I did it. By accident, not design. I thought I was booking a learn-to-ride course. The instructor should have stopped me when I said I'd never ridden before (at all)... I was blatantly honest about that fact. He was patient and I'm sure he spent more time with me than I'd booked. As he wrote up the cert, I asked him what my next steps were to gain my licence. He handed me the cert and said I needed to sit the theory test and that was all... I was quite surprised.
    I guess the school I worked for has higher standards than some others.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    how does some one ride their own Motorcycle to a BHST legally, my understanding is that a person must do the BHST before they can even do the theory test.

as a side note, when my son did his BHST, he passed with flying colours and very quickly, the instructor turned to him and said, "you are off a diary farm aren't you", which of course he was, best place to learn to control a two wheeler is sitting behind cows for an hour or so each day, learn clutch control and balance along with numerous other handling skills at low speed
    That's why schools have a bike you can use. Because you're not legally allowed to ride your bike to the test, if you don't already have a 6L.

Farm riding is great for learning to ride. I learned on a farm on a CT90, back in the day.

Explain, though, what a "diary farm" is......is it where new diaries are printed? I need one for next year.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but this has to go with some degree of qualification.

I've had many people turn up with the expectation that they are going to pass in one session, who then get sad when it takes longer than they thought.

Riding a bike is one thing, riding it in the manner required to pass the BHST is a different issue altogether.

The big thing is not turning their head in corners. Not looking far enough ahead. Dirt bike guys often turn up and they are focused on the patch of roadway 2 metres ahead of their front wheel.

If you turn up with no riding experience, first you have to learn how to ride a bike, then you have to learn the test course, and remember what is expected, then you need to do the test.

It's very rare for someone with nil experience to pass in one session. Very rare. Some people are naturally dexterous, and can learn quickly.

Most can't pass in one session, if they haven't ridden before.
    I did. Had never been in control of a motorcycle before in life. Although I did have the basics of balance (thanks to bicycles) and manual transmission (thanks to stick shifts).

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Just to add, this is a very reputable company in Auckland that I went to get my basic handling cert done. And I did tell them that I had never ridden a motorcycle before that day.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    That's why schools have a bike you can use. Because you're not legally allowed to ride your bike to the test, if you don't already have a 6L.

Farm riding is great for learning to ride. I learned on a farm on a CT90, back in the day.

Explain, though, what a "diary farm" is......is it where new diaries are printed? I need one for next year.
    have no idea what you talkin bout

Bike
    xt660r
    when i turned up for my BHST, the instructor was stoked that everybody had at least ridden a bike before.

apparently he has had people crash into the fence, run him over, all sorts.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
    when i turned up for my BHST, the instructor was stoked that everybody had at least ridden a bike before.

apparently he has had people crash into the fence, run him over, all sorts.
    It's normally painful getting someone used to using a clutch. It even helps if the person has used a manual car before, as they understand what a clutch does.

Then you have got brakes to explain. Like, which one does what. Sheesh.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    It's normally painful getting someone used to using a clutch. It even helps if the person has used a manual car before, as they understand what a clutch does.

Then you have got brakes to explain. Like, which one does what. Sheesh.
    I would have thought you begin with brakes? Not much point trying to explain them once a candidate is under way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I would have thought you begin with brakes? Not much point trying to explain them once a candidate is under way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe he learnt from the 2 guys who taught me?

I was headed down the road fast approaching a need to stop when I realised they hadn't mentioned brakes.
    Process of elimination is a pretty swift teacher.

Thread Information