Thread: Kickstart Conversion

Bike
    1969 Honda S90

Kickstart Conversion

Looking for advice-I have owned a 2005 Honda CL400 Street Tracker for some time-It was a grey import powered by the ever reliable 400 RFVC XR motor,but kickstart only.
    Some time back I had a bad one that near destroyed my right ankle rendering me unable to kickstart the bike even tough it has the Honda decomp system.
    I guess the smart money is to sell this bike and purchase an electric start bike,but,I really love the CL-a cool reliable bike that is fun to ride.
    So,the question is does anyone know who could do an electric conversion,maybe using TRX starting gear or similar.I am open to all suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	354047  

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Reading the tagline I thought I could help, but alas, we went the other way when a gf"s CB250RS Deluxe became an unreliable starter off the button so we put an XR lever in.

You'd have to do the legwork reading parts diagrams to try work out what you needed including probably a battery upgrade.
    Then ideally a compliant wrecker.

SV650 as bike upgrade awaits.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    A GB400 strikes me as the likeliest source of donor parts or a donor motor - they are the "same"* but the GB was definitely electric start. Given how old the GB's are now (coming up 40 years) there should be a few lurking about in wreckers and so forth.

* by same I mean they look similar but Honda being Honda they might not be exactly the same enough to allow parts interchangeability. This is where your model specific forums come into their own. Some poor sad bastard somewhere in the world has likely already done it - you just have to find him and his anguished forum posts.

Also - what sort of money is the CL worth? I dont want or need to own another bike presently but every time I see them on tardme I go "Oh, I like that"

Plan B. Sell me the CL, you buy this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...ing/4437811473
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks so much for the suggestions guys-I have looked into the GB400 (I previously owned a GB500) but problem is due to age there starting gear is pretty worn out and unreliable.
    Unfortunately there is no model specific forum for these bikes-In Japan they have the CB400SS which is electric start and CL400 Tracker which isnt.It would be nice to buy a 400SS motor as this would slot in-but-its a 20 year old bike and I could easily end up overspending.In its current condition I would value the bike at around $2.8 to $3K-
    Love your plan B HDC but your bike a bit heavy for these old bones.
    Thanks for suggestion F5Dave-I have already done a bit of research and yes higher powered battery would be a must.
    I understand that there was an engineering company down Nelson way that was doing conversions but am tols they no longer doing this,sadly.
    I will keep looking.
    Thanks again
    Chris

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I remembered reading something about this when I was looking at something similar for a XL250 I had at the time, and subsequently never got around to.

Anyway, looking in the same place there is info on lecky start conversion for XR400, if that's the same engine as you've got.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/t...rt-conversion/
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I remembered reading something about this when I was looking at something similar for a XL250 I had at the time, and subsequently never got around to.

Anyway, looking in the same place there is info on lecky start conversion for XR400, if that's the same engine as you've got.

the XR400 and the CB400ss all share the same center gasket with the CL400 so channce are the XR400 is the best donor option.
    Sorry read that the wrong wy hes looking for an electic start .....whoops only easy option by the look of it is CB400SS.

the trx conversion is a lot of parts inc crank.
    or try and find a trx400 engine

you could get a cb400ss engine from yahoo japan for about 1 g or less landed.
    or buy a cl350....

oh looks like the XR400 motard had an electric starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Thanks again for the suggestions folks-Buying from Japan requires caution-All the CB400SS motors I have come across are not elec start,they are NC38's which is what I already have-I think it is NC41 that is elec.
    Looking at the pricing for a conversion I figure just way too expensive-I have been put in touch with a fella who may have access to GB400 motors,so I will persue this in the meantime.
    Thanks again for all the advice.-Chris

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Thanks again for the suggestions folks-Buying from Japan requires caution-All the CB400SS motors I have come across are not elec start,they are NC38's which is what I already have-I think it is NC41 that is elec.
    Looking at the pricing for a conversion I figure just way too expensive-I have been put in touch with a fella who may have access to GB400 motors,so I will persue this in the meantime.
    Thanks again for all the advice.-Chris
    TBH i am not sure the GB is the same as i thought i was based on an earlier model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    TBH i am not sure the GB is the same as i thought i was based on an earlier model.
    I think you're likely right just based on the ages of the motors. Like would an early 2000's XR/XL have compatible bits with an early '00's one?

Also the MZ Skorpion isnt mine though its on my watchlist on tardme.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information