Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with fork seals

Bike

Need help with fork seals

My LS650 Savage has leaking fork seals. How hard is it to replace them at home? I have a garage and some tools (though not a mechanics workshop). Anyone have any instructions? I have the manual, is the info in there?
    Lack of $$ prevent me from spending too much on this beast. Any advice would great, ta.
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    If you can find a workshop manual all the info you need will be contained within

Have you checked the manuals link? That'd be the place to start, google it too.

On the whole I don't expect it'd be too hard as long as you have a range of tools to do the job with. My ZXR250 wasn;t that hard, took about 2hrs all told.

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Colapop
    My LS650 Savage has leaking fork seals. How hard is it to replace them at home? I have a garage and some tools (though not a mechanics workshop). Anyone have any instructions? I have the manual, is the info in there?
    Lack of $$ prevent me from spending too much on this beast. Any advice would great, ta.
    Best way to save $'s is to take the forks out and down to your friendly mechanic. Forks have cunning systems to hold themselves together and require special tools to get them apart. So save youself the grief of trying to do it yourself and take them to a shop.
    You will save on the hour or so of time it takes to dismantle the front end.

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Gidday Colapop.

I have a bit of experience with this, having done the NZ's and VTR's recently.
    I added a bit of information for Sniper in a recent thread.
    Have a read and if I can help any more just say so
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17400

Cheers

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    I had a look into doing mine the the ZXR, once cost out new oil and seals and the time and hassle it takes, its usually easier to take the forks out yourself and goto the local bike shop.
    Finding the rights tools was annoying.

Bike
    I'm thinking perhaps I'll take the forks off and trundle along to Richard in J'ville. Apparently he's the guy to go to for just about everything - unless anyone's got a better idea. I'd sure like to have a go at it myself tho'
    Last edited by Colapop; 18th October 2005 at 17:02. Reason: sp mistake
    we will remember them

Bike
    TLS/R
    I'm thinking perhaps I'll take the forks off and trundle along to Richard in J'ville. Apparently he's the guy to go to for just about everything - unless anyone's got a better idea. I'd sure like to have a go at it myself tho'
    Richard is the man.. I was always taking the kat to him for this or that (well it seemed like it anyway).. Honest guy.. Highly recommended.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Well I'm the kind of cheap bastard who'd rather do it himself than pay for someone to do it (and who can really complain at $50 for the job vrs $150 by taking the forks in somewhere), but I can see why some would rather take it in somewhere, after all you'd be foolish to think that you aren't likely to strike some issues (at least be prepared for it, cause if you aren't you can bet it'll happen). Still there is something to be said for finding out how the inside works

BTW zxr and other inverted fork bikes are slightly harder to do because they are meant to be done with "special" tools, but it's not that hard to find something that does the job.

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    Quote Originally Posted by sefer
    BTW zxr and other inverted fork bikes are slightly harder to do because they are meant to be done with "special" tools, but it's not that hard to find something that does the job.
    HAHA, and thats why I didnt do it, my "special" tool of and hammer and a screw driver probably would have meant more money

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Nah, hammer and screwdrivers are the staple of any good workshop, proven to fix most problems 9 times out of 10

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    Nah, hammer and screwdrivers are the staple of any good workshop, proven to fix most problems 9 times out of 10
    Yip, its how I adjusted my suspension, but thats has a really large nut.
    Wouldnt want to miss on the driver on the folks tho and damage them, or not do it up properly, oil every where. And its a prick to get off complety, unless someone has a good degreeser ?

Bike
    They don't use hammers anymore. My old man was a builder and still does the odd job around the place - swore at me when I asked him how come he didn't use a hammer. Nail guns now there's some power...
    Sorry not trying to hijack my own thread. Thanks for advice. I'll have a go at them this weekend - getting the forks off that is.
    we will remember them

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    They don't use hammers anymore. My old man was a builder and still does the odd job around the place - swore at me when I asked him how come he didn't use a hammer. Nail guns now there's some power...
    Sorry not trying to hijack my own thread. Thanks for advice. I'll have a go at them this weekend - getting the forks off that is.
    Hahaha, those guns are fun, shoot the bike to make it work :P

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoix
    Hahaha, those guns are fun, shoot the bike to make it work :P
    Nah not at the bike - from the bike. I should attach a couple Mad Max styles.... showing my age....
    we will remember them

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    Nah not at the bike - from the bike. I should attach a couple Mad Max styles.... showing my age....
    Now that would be amusing, good to get some of those annoying cage drivers off the road.
    A punture or 2 would work nicely, they probably dont even know how to change a tyre.

Thread Information