Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'L Plates'??, Who out there actually uses them?

Bike
    1997 Suzuki GSX R600

'L Plates'??, Who out there actually uses them?

As you will see, I'm a learner rider.
    I've been riding for quite some time, however it is very seldom that my eye will catch a nice law abiding fellow who is proud to say to the rest of the road that they are still on their learners by diplaying the 'L Plate'.
    I just haven't got around to it 'yet'...
    I also think 70kph is a danger on the open road...
    just curious to read other opinions...

Bike
    Speed Triple - in bogan black
    the fact 70 is dangerously slow on the open road is the exact reason most learners wont display an l plate, wether to stay safe or satisfy a need for speed they all do 100 on open road and dont show the plate as to avoid attn from the law. My fiancee is on a learners, i left hers on till she was safe and didnt need any special treatment from other road users then ripped the bloody thing off.

Welcome to the site too..
    Frogman
    There is no dark side of the moon, really, as a matter of fact. Its all dark...

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    I kept it on. Couldn't afford 400 bucks if i was caught. I did get pulled over but fortunately I had it on

Bike
    1997 Suzuki GSX R600
    Quote Originally Posted by alarumba
    I kept it on. Couldn't afford 400 bucks if i was caught. I did get pulled over but fortunately I had it on

Do you think the cop pulled you over cause they saw your plate?? You know being an easy target?

Bike
    VTR1000, RM 250 and a few toys
    The only time I had mine on was the day I sat my restricted.

I know alot of people put it on then break it off leaving a little corner of yellow behind then use the 'Sorry sir it must have broken off I didn't realise' Or keep it under their seat. Probably a better idea then just not puting one on mind you I never got pulled over without it.
    You know you had a good nite when you have to ask someone if you had a good nite.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I have used it for the whole time, 5.5 months... so soon I get to take it off.

That said, I don't really follow the 70 rule... unless the limit is 60 or less...

The way I see it, its better to use the L, and if a cop wants to bust you for exceeding 70, I hope to reason with him/her and my lack of suicidal tendancies. Without an L, well... there ain't really a proper excuse is there? Not to mention the number of cops that have probably read all our posts about "the plate fell off and left a little tag".

And I don't want to pay $400 on something not related to gear or bike... me is poor student.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    FXR 150... Saving for a Gixxer
    ive always got it on but i dont comply with the 70 rule.
    the only time i didnt have it on was when it fell off mid ride
    as well as the rego but other than that its been on all trhe time.

Bike
    A few
    Your right 70 is dangerous. A friend told me how to get around this. Put the L-plate on your bike, then take a large hammer/smashing instrument of your choice and bash the corners of the silly thing off. You should be left with a convincing stump of yellow plastic remaining, still attached to the back. If you get pulled over, explain to Mr Plod how you just dropped your bike and how the unfortunate L-plate was broken in the process. If stopped on the motorway, use the argument that you were almost rear ended by a truck whilst doing 70km/hr and came to the conclusion that it was in the intrest of self preservation that you were doing 100. Works a treat
    Sargent Major: "Now then, who called the cook a bastard?"
    Small voice from the rear: "Who called that bastard a cook?"

Bike
    '92 CBR600 F2
    I reckon it depends on how bike-savy the cop is...

Sorry officer, there must have been some oil on the road and it slipped as I took off from the lights - coming from a boy racer. Honestly!!!! How many cops would believe that...

The same officer might be bike savy and know the "it broke off trick". Like a couple people have suggested, keep the plate on and carefully ignore the 70kmh rule. If you're on the motorway, and it's busy, just stay with the traffic flow... if it's light enough that you can move to the left and do 80-90 without holding up traffic then just do that (that's what I do anyway...) If there's plenty of room for a car to move around you then they will. Either way, you *should* stand a pretty good chance if a cop decides to pull you over. Use the ol' it's not safe and I was just staying with the traffic excuse. At least it's a valid, true, excuse.

The other big reason for the plate is insurance purposes... I can only imagine how much fun you'd have trying to claim insurance if something interesting happened and the insurance company tried to pin it all back on you because you were in breach of your license conditions. This is the one that scares me the most... just imagine hitting some new BMW, causing $20k damage, and not having the insurance company pay out because you didn't have your L-plate on. Irrespective of all the other reasons, and as much as I HATE doing 90kmh on the motorway (after driving for 8 years), this is the one thing that keeps the L-plate on my bike.

Oh yeah, if you've already got your full car license you probably stand a much better chance of getting off the speeding with the L-plate as you can then say that "being competent on the motorway" is not a problem as you've already been driving for x number of years...

There's nothing stopping you from doing 100 on the back roads though...

anyway... just my 2c

Bike
    None
    I've got mine on at the moment cause i've got no rego, but when I get that, which will be soon ...I hope...I'll take the dreaded L plate off

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    GSX-R600 K6, 07 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    I have used it for the whole time, 5.5 months... so soon I get to take it off.

That said, I don't really follow the 70 rule... unless the limit is 60 or less...

The way I see it, its better to use the L, and if a cop wants to bust you for exceeding 70, I hope to reason with him/her and my lack of suicidal tendancies. Without an L, well... there ain't really a proper excuse is there? Not to mention the number of cops that have probably read all our posts about "the plate fell off and left a little tag".

And I don't want to pay $400 on something not related to gear or bike... me is poor student.
    That the way I see it too. I'll keep my plate on till I get my restricted... but hope get that soon with CBTA

Bike
    1990 Kawasaki Zxr250
    I've seen some people on here put there on selectivly an then do a very nice speed in speed camera area's.
    It's a pity that an L plate takes up most of the space of a number plate when turned upside down, the camera's cant read your plate

Bike
    Yamaha XV250 Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones
    I've got mine on at the moment cause i've got no rego, but when I get that, which will be soon ...I hope...I'll take the dreaded L plate off

-Indy
    not quite sure of the thinking here, is have a "L" plate like a get out of jail free card for not having any rego ?

Bike
    In between bikes
    Motorcycle always displayed the L-plate and in fact it wasn't removed till two weeks after passing the restricted test. Can't see what the big deal about not displaying it or wanting to get rid of it. Stops people trying to tail gate and they’re more understanding of your mistakes or slow speed. Never did go on the motorway, can't legally do a 100, so took the long way around.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    A Cage
    Never had mine on until my restricted test.

Thread Information