Thread: SV650 LAMS -> Unrestricted

Bike
    Virtual 250

SV650 LAMS -> Unrestricted

Hello there.

So I've been without a bike for way too long, going on two years now. And I was pondering on getting an SV650. Because of insurance and all that shit ( i'm still on my learners.. going on 10 odd years now ), I want to get a LAMS one.

So the question being, is it possible to 'accidentally' place a de-restricted/normal ECU / whatever into a SV 650 LAMS bike and make it essentially a normal SV 650, power wise ?

Is it a drama? Is it easy to reverse?

Cheers

Bike
    2022 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited FLHTK
    I did a bit of research on this before deciding to buy the wife a full power version. The fuel injected models use restrictors on butterflies in the air flow area which would normally open above 5000rpm ish. They are similar bikes up to about that rpm but the full power version is way better above those rpms.
    If you are looking for a long term bike, buy the full power version and play dumb to the cops.
    If short term don't spend big on LAMs version, there is going to be a glut of LAMs bike on the market soon.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    I was talking to a dealer in Perth about this back in 2017 not that long after the Gen 3’s hit our shores. Over there (at that time) all their SV’s were LAMS models. He said it was just a matter of getting the ECU flashed and guys were doing it. From that I would assume there are no differences in the throttle bodies or such like and the difference is in the tune of the fuel and ignition maps.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    And one wonders why sometimes insurance becomes "insurance and all that shit".

You will be riding outside of your license conditions, be prepared for the consequences if something happens 'accidentally'.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    And one wonders why sometimes insurance becomes "insurance and all that shit".

You will be riding outside of your license conditions, be prepared for the consequences if something happens 'accidentally'.
    he makes a good point.
    Any particular reason why you would not just book a test date and get your restricted? It can't be cost if you are considering buying a bike and performing the modifications you suggest.
    Go the CBTA route and you can do your full test 9 months later and get your actual full licence 3 months after that. You might even find it helps your riding.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Virtual 250
    I do want to sit my restricted, and then full.

It would be nice to have a bike I can alter to get all the beans afterwards though, and then back if I ever want to sell it.

Bike
    Virtual 250
    That CBTA thing looks interesting though, never heard of it till now

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by pkplex View Post
    That CBTA thing looks interesting though, never heard of it till now
    Have a read and learn.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/cbta/

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Hello there.

So I've been without a bike for way too long, going on two years now. And I was pondering on getting an SV650. Because of insurance and all that shit ( i'm still on my learners.. going on 10 odd years now ), I want to get a LAMS one.

So the question being, is it possible to 'accidentally' place a de-restricted/normal ECU / whatever into a SV 650 LAMS bike and make it essentially a normal SV 650, power wise ?

Is it a drama? Is it easy to reverse?

Cheers
    Either option is irrelevant and/or pointless discussing ... if (whatever the reason) you can't get past the learners license ...

Most of the LAM's "learner" bikes are infinitely better than the old learner bike options ... Grow a pair and do it ...

Whatever you get ... Do some riding courses and maybe some track days.

Learn to ride it better and you will go faster and be riding safer.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Virtual 250
    The point was switching to a SV650 LAMS to unrestricted. I decided to ask around to see if its easy to do... so that if it was, I could just carry on riding the same bike, and remove it's lams restrictions later, at leasure.

Not sure why you think that's such a bang head on wall or why its pointless asking about.

But yes, agreed, track days and coursing aint a bad idea.

Cheers

Bike
    xt660r
    well the easy answer is , yes it can be done, and i know that one bike shop at least has one bike, and both ECU's depending on what you want to test ride.

if it is a good idea or not, and if the cost is worth it, that's a different question

The point was switching to a SV650 LAMS to unrestricted. I decided to ask around to see if its easy to do... so that if it was, I could just carry on riding the same bike, and remove it's lams restrictions later, at leasure.

Not sure why you think that's such a bang head on wall or why its pointless asking about.

But yes, agreed, track days and coursing aint a bad idea.

Cheers

Bike
    KTM
    don't stress about it man, just ride it through to F and you'll probably see something else you like more, or you'll drop it and then want to get something new and shiny anyway

Bike
    Virtual 250
    Ta.

Well I've had a shiny new one for a week or so now, its a barrel of fun. So nice to be riding again My first V-Twin, and I like how it just goes without a fuss at low RPM

Thread Information