Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rimutaka Hill, possible technique with slow cagers?

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Been up and down the Remutaka's twice in the last 3 days, love it, the road has been modified and re cambered to hell and back since way back when, the roads OK, the drivers and riders who push others are the main problem these days, but, the answer lies in the comments above, simply hold your line and give both the front guys and the back ones enough room and things stop turning to custard.
    Simple really.
    Heading north tomorrow up the National Park and through Ohakune, probably Taumaranui etc, back ways, all the way, avoiding main highways as much as possible, roads around these places are bloody terrific for the most part.
    Watch out for any plastic on the road near Taumaranui, thats where Big Ns off was near. Ride safe my friend

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    [QUOTE=eldog;1131150032]Navy Boy: Queen Charlotte sound was a dream ride a few days ago. Must have been too early for them. The DOC camp site had great toilet facilities, better than most

I agree ref the facilities - They are pretty good. Mrs NB and I rode along QCD a couple of days ago and it was a lovely ride. We were on the Harleys so the pace was gentle but I've often found that QCD is a road where the harder you try the less enjoyable it becomes.

Ref the Rimutakas - In my experience drivers are normally pretty observant but the OP's point about being patient is a valid one. Either way just enjoy the scenery at the top and the fact that we live somewhere as lovely as this

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Gee I see everyday that's just in town I know ride for a living .ours me riding my reg own bike.seems to just little patience all round.of course bad behaviour sticks in the mind.i just sit back get hell out the way.
    I do 700 km in town riding per week.
    Honestly I find bit of mind f#$$ end the week had enough.but am lucky get paid ride a bike.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Rode Rimutaka on the way back.

Wasn't as bad as I remembered.
    Probably because I was on my own not surrounded by others trying to beat some record.

I just took it quietly and enjoyed the experience.

With slow travellers wait for the breaks. We all want to get to our destination.

The road did show up some areas of improvement I need to do. Which is good.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    KTM
    Come on guys unless you're on a 250cc what difference does a few meters make? Just spin the revs up and overtake when you can see clear road.
    Check your mirror first in case someone faster than you has the same idea

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    Come on guys unless you're on a 250cc what difference does a few meters make? Just spin the revs up and overtake when you can see clear road.
    Check your mirror first in case someone faster than you has the same idea
    it's pretty much double yellow the whole hill section

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Thered be a few places to pass if slower vehicles pulled over.

I should know, I recently used those places to let other more enlightened road users through.

Much better if you manage to ride it on your own at your place.

Much have missed the meaning of the double yellows, thought the parallel lines meant I could take the whole road as some others did, aucklanders I guess.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    It's possible for them to slow down without me running into them, so they can actually get into a stopping bay safely. They don't have to race into the bay at full road speed.
    I reckon this is a big part of it. Give them some space to safely get out of the way and a lot of people will when they can.

This doesn't apply to the chap driving around chch in his van with 'back off tailgater' on the back of it, if he didn't drive on the centreline at 35-40 around town and 70-80 on the motorway he probably wouldn't have an issue.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Went up and over yesterday, then back after lunch in Martinborough.

There are a few opportunities for overtaking. But when they aren't available, what's the point in compromising one's own safety by following excessively close?

We had a good run both ways. Beautiful day for a ride too.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've just come back from a ride around East Cape with a small group. Not much traffic on SH35 of course, but plenty between Whakatane and Auckland.

I tried leaving a bigger gap than usual when following other vehicles, and was pleasantly surprised how many drivers either moved over, or even slowed down and pulled off the road to let us pass. The vast majority of truckies were great as usual, and the truck and trailer that pulled out in front of me in the Waioeka gorge as I was exiting a corner probably just didn't see me. A reminder of why it's good to dial it back when you don't have a clear view ahead...

First time I've ridden around East Cape for about 40 years. Awesome ride, will definitely do it again soon. I would recommend riding from Gisborne even though it puts you on the inland side of the road. The road south of Hicks Bay is a real mess in places, I assume because of the damage done by loaded logging trucks. The other side of the road did look better.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Kathmandu Style

If anyone's seen the Top Gear Nepal special, particularly the part where they're going over the hill and trucks and buses all over take and narrowly miss traffic coming the other way:

It seems insane, but that's how some bikers ride the rimutakas.

Thread Information