Thread: Whips, Chains Floggers....Chains and Sprockets

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries

Whips, Chains Floggers....Chains and Sprockets

Now I caught your attention replaced the chain on my bike, manual says dont run new chain with old sprockets. If I replace chains on everything I own then technically all sprockets need replacing too, bicycles?? meh! What is the reason behind this one little comment in my manual that has no explaination. If the teeth are worn at a particular angle then they can be reshaped but Im not seeing the link here. Yes I always lube before every hard and fast ride
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    A worn sprocket wont fit the chain as snugly, and the chain will have more movement around the cogs on the sprocket.

Then both will wear faster.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...lubrication in all aspects of mechanical or bio-molecular environments are often overlooked...best defence against some kind of molecular breakdown...and cheap...give grease a big thumbs up, before some greenie fw passes a law that recommends parsley as a general all round lubricant...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The 550 generally will go though 2 chains per set of sprockets.Getting 35-40 thousand kms per chain. Usually inspect the joining link about 20 thousand and replece it if it looks nasty. Never had a link let go on me yet. Just regular 'ol standard 530 chains lubed frequenily. Lub I use currently is CRC chain lube from Bunnings. In the past just hypoid gear oil, which I've now run out of, and normal motor oil. Been pricing up new sprockets today to try out different gearing.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    My experience has been that a new chain on old sprockets very quickly becomes another old chain. Sprockets are cheap in comparison to going through chains frequently; I think it's a false economy to not replace both at the same time.

Reshaping sprocket teeth - how would you propose to do this?

As a side note, I tried using 90W gear oil as a chain lube, very briefly. It worked wonderfully at freeing up the chain and making it silky smooth, then it also worked brilliantly at coating the rear tyre. That included the side of the rubber that contacted the road. I had to ride home taking care to not lean toward the chain side of the bike. I'd been particular about wiping the chain down thoroughly after lightly lubing it but that still happened anyway. That's with a 180 section rear (ie fairly wide), so there's a bit of drag pulling spray in behind the wheel. Maybe it works better with a narrower rear but I personally wouldn't do it again.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Sprockets are cheaper than chain, and worn sprockets destroy chains.

Not sure what this thread has in point. Do you look for support in not doing the job properly?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    My experience has been that a new chain on old sprockets very quickly becomes another old chain. Sprockets are cheap in comparison to going through chains frequently; I think it's a false economy to not replace both at the same time.

Reshaping sprocket teeth - how would you propose to do this?

As a side note, I tried using 90W gear oil as a chain lube, very briefly. It worked wonderfully at freeing up the chain and making it silky smooth, then it also worked brilliantly at coating the rear tyre. That included the side of the rubber that contacted the road. I had to ride home taking care to not lean toward the chain side of the bike. I'd been particular about wiping the chain down thoroughly after lightly lubing it but that still happened anyway. That's with a 180 section rear (ie fairly wide), so there's a bit of drag pulling spray in behind the wheel. Maybe it works better with a narrower rear but I personally wouldn't do it again.
    I used it for years without to much bother because I had at least one shaft drive bike in the shed. Got it on the side wall if I was too generous but the same goes for sticky chain lube as well. Used greese for a bit but when you take the counter shaft sprocket off there's a whole mess of the stuff to get off, as builds up under there. With oil/chain lube it's just a matter of wiping out with a rag with kero/deisol/turps or quick quirt of cheap degreaser and hose off.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Sprockets are cheaper than chain, and worn sprockets destroy chains.

Not sure what this thread has in point. Do you look for support in not doing the job properly?
    A lengh of 530 chain off a real from an industial engineer supplier ain't too badly priced. Especilly if you have a trade discount

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Bicycles don't have much power. Less than 1 hp and approximately 1pp (person power) those chains die through other means.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Bicycles don't have much power. Less than 1 hp and approximately 1pp (person power) those chains die through other means.
    They snap all the time compared to motorbike chains. Sucks coming down a fun track without being able to pedal though

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but sprocket wear is not such a concern, just lightweight chain made to the cheapest quote.

Bike
    BSA A10
    They snap all the time compared to motorbike chains. Sucks coming down a fun track without being able to pedal though
    sram power chain link and mutli tool, fixed in 5 minutes
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    a red heap
    You used to be cool.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Sorry. Must have missed that. Was that.pre the internet?

Thread Information