Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia Fire storm.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    suuuuuuuuuuure, climate always changing, man has fuck all to do with it, you and greta can go suck a bag of dicks
    You might not wanna look into the effects of deforestation on weather patterns and the associated effects on the climate. Especially if you're out of bags of dicks.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I haven't made up my mind yet about this whole 'climate change' issue.

I'm immediately suspicious of anything that becomes the mainstream media's cause celebre.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post

I'm immediately suspicious of anything that becomes the mainstream media's cause celebre.
    We agree on something there. it's all a bit brand new too, I don't recall it being the trendy thing even four years ago.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Half the time they can't even forecast weather correctly, let alone forecast long term climate changes. There are too many variables and unknowns. I'm not likely to be around for 2100, hopefully I make it to 2050/60. Let's see what flavor is the next decade.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Half the time they can't even forecast weather correctly, let alone forecast long term climate changes. There are too many variables and unknowns. I'm not likely to be around for 2100, hopefully I make it to 2050/60. Let's see what flavor is the next decade.
    Remember how quaint "Millenium Fever" was?
    They had a field day with the gullible then too.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    We agree on something there. it's all a bit brand new too, I don't recall it being the trendy thing even four years ago.
    And I place environmental issues as one of my top considerations when voting.

So I don't question the fact that we're treating this planet like shit and polluting the fuck out of it.

But I'm convinced that someone's winning out of this whole 'climate change' thing, who shouldn't be winning.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries

The climate changes. Human beings need some form of resource resilience to minimise the interruptions that come with natural or man made events. Whether man made or not, it happens. Before human beings (in any great numbers) trees ran from coast to coast and would have produced fire and air quality that is mind boggling to consider, but it does explain species die offs and how the ocean "decarbons" itself following some cataclysmic event. The trees that grow back then help scrub the atmosphere and ocean. That's the natural cycle of things.

Man is the same forest fire, except the trees don't get to grow back to anywhere near the size that they were (sequestering less co2 along the way), and nowhere near in the numbers that used to exist given the economic behaviour that has seen that land paved and farmed and mined etc...

Therefore:

There is evidence for natural climate change.
    There is evidence for man made climate change.

All that is then left to discuss is how we prepare for climate change irrespective of how it is driven... or indeed take the politically expedient approach and bury ones head in the sand, coz that is exponentially easier than arguing over the causes of climate change when we clearly intend to do nothing about it. There's an irony or two in there somewhere........
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Remember how quaint "Millenium Fever" was?
    They had a field day with the gullible then too.
    Yes, I do remember. Don't fly on 01/01/2000, planes might not operate properly. Don't drive, even though my car had as much computer staff as a golf club. My toaster did stop working that day though, hmmm.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    Therefore:

There is evidence for natural climate change.
    There is evidence for man made climate change.
    And it was your comment about deforestation that suddenly helped me see a truly valid point about 'climate change' - it made me question what is the root cause of 'climate change'?

Deforestation becomes the root cause.

I still don't think 'climate change' is the catastrophe that it's being portrayed as though.

I just wish we'd clean the place up some.

Bike
    And it was your comment about deforestation that suddenly helped me see a truly valid point about 'climate change' - except I question whether 'climate change' is the root cause.

Deforestation becomes the root cause.
    But then deforestation is caused by the need for more cultivatable land for increasing human population.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    But then deforestation is caused by the need for more cultivatable land for increasing human population.
    No it's not.

It's caused by greed.

Bike
    No it's not.

It's caused by greed.
    Explain your logic?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Explain your logic?
    Bigger farms ... more money you can make ... and the higher value your land becomes.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Bigger farms ... more money you can make ... and the higher the value of your land becomes.
    Why do you need bigger farm? And the value will not increase unless it is profitable. Bigger production from bigger farms is to meet bigger demand from population.

Now it's a different equation if you say the farm is bigger for lifestyle reasons because you would rather have a 10 acre lawn than a 200 sq meter one.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Explain your logic?
    The greed that causes people to clear forests to dig shit out of the ground.

The greed that causes people to clear forests to plant way more palm tree plantations than the world ever needs.

It's the same greed that sees us pulling fossil fuels out of the ground faster than we're ever going to need them.

Thread Information