Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09

Angry Frustrated

I was dumb, and I crashed my bike back in October. It was entirely my fault, a moment of insufficient attention involving no-one else and suddenly I found myself not able to make a corner. All things considered, I came away fairly well as I was able to ride home behind someone else instead of in an ambulance.

I didn't make arrangements to fix my bike while I was healing from my injuries. I knew I just needed to get my bike fixed by the end of January so I could ride down to the Burt which had been in planning for a year. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to fix it...I'm not a mechanic, but it was easy to put that off for a while - I just figured I'd putter away at it myself and replace the important bits, and worry about cosmetics later. Eventually I realised I wasn't making any real progress and there was only 7 weeks to go, so I decided to call a dealer to collect it and fix it for me. More expensive than I wanted, but at least my bike would be ready for my trip.

My bike has now been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They lost track of it, someone evidently did an initial investigation but that never made it over to get written up or priced until a week later when I next called. Shut for holidays, part systems down, call after call with my prompting and asking for updates telling them I needed it operational end of January, them promising to send me the list of parts required, broken down into what was essential and what was just cosmetic (yes the bike wasn't insured so it's coming out of my pocket). I still haven't been sent the list of parts or prices they've assembled so far, but today I got a call (first time they've ever called me) advising they still didn't know everything that is wrong but that they also now probably couldn't get parts from Japan in time for my trip.

At this point they're going to bill me to bring the bike to their shop and some time looking at the bike and putting together a quote that I've not seen. I can't even start making arrangements to source used parts (have located a parts bike) because they haven't sent me a list of what they have found. At this point I basically have to accept I won't have my bike fixed and I won't be riding to the Burt. I'm going to have to go pick up my bike with no repairs completed and potentially little information of value gleaned, and then reach out to the biker community for some assistance.

If I'd started this right away I'd have figured out the dealership had no interest in fixing an uninsured bike and there would have been time to deal with it. I guess I'd hoped bike dealers were staffed by my biker bros I wave at when we ride past each other, but it seems I was wrong.

Thanks for listening to my moan.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Name the dealer, tell them about this thread and give them a chance to explain themselves.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    I honestly thought about whether to name them either as righteous retribution using the power of social media or as a warning to others that they might receive similar treatment, but from what I'm hearing from the guys I ride with...it's already fairly common knowledge. It won't get my bike fixed, may not even make any difference in the bill they send me for being unhelpful.

I just wanted to vent to someone who isn't my non-riding family saying things like "Maybe it's for the best since you got hurt in an accident anyway".

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Honestly just go pick the bike up, post some pictures of the damage, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can help... pay the bill at the shop and spend some money on tools as you need instead of throwing it at a hopeless business.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Ignoring the whole doing things at the last minute (Xmas is always a mess)...

I wouldn't be paying for time making a quote that I don't have or haven't seen - no proof it's actually been done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    I expect I'll eventually receive the list of parts they feel I need, and they'll ask me what I want them to order and have them fix. I wish I had it now, because I could be arranging to get those parts used from someone parting out a bike. I'm hoping their 'investigations' will help me figure out what parts are needed - I'm unlikely to have the dealer order or fix anything at this point given that it's slower and more expensive than finding used parts.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Be patient. It is only the 7th of Jan.
    They will be on a skeleton staff at the mo but that may change next week and it may still happen.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    I need a radiator (I knew that before we started) and they just advised it will take 14 working days to ship from Japan. I could of course get a used one faster, but I'm trying to get a (more) complete list so I can ship all the stuff I need (that's available on the parts bike) one time from Australia. It does depend on what their final list includes as 'vital' and how much might be available from outside Japan - but it becomes less likely by the day.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    What a sad story - but I'll direct you back to this....

Quote Originally Posted by Hubris View Post
    I was dumb
    You should probably reflect on that instead of criticising the lack of action from a bike shop in pandering to your needs over the Xmas period.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... I just wanted to vent to someone who isn't my non-riding family saying things like "Maybe it's for the best since you got hurt in an accident anyway".
    Venting is probably the first thing you've done regards your bike ... that you've successfully achieved. Be proud of that ...

However ... as I see you claim to be in Auckland. You wont be the first from there that puts things off for a few months ... then when you realize nothing is getting done ... expects everybody to run around after you (on the cheap) straight away ... in the summer holiday period.

Suggestion ... take $5000 into that bike shop and say fix it. You might be surprised how fast it gets done ...

And you might even get change. Maybe.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Is it the MT-09 in your profile? Why do you think you need a radiator? They can be repaired quite often, (they are aloooominum).

First off: is the bike straight? frame, forks, wheels in a line. Are the wheels/discs/calipers damaged? Fuel tank (assuming its metal and not just a plastic cover over a fuel cell.) How about the dash?

Anything else is just cosmetics. It doesnt have to be pretty, just rideable in three weeks.

Or, take your five grand, go buy something for three grand, spend two grand on Jack Daniels and hookers. Or on deferred maintenance - tyres and oil changes and steering head bearings and maybe chain and sprockets. Park the MT, deal with it after the Burt. Get back from the Burt, sell your other bike, tip the money into fixing the MT -09.

Above all, stop whining like a bitch. Gather information, make a fucking plan, then implement the motherfucker. Don't make me get all Jules Winnfield on your sorry arse.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Yamaha MT-09
    Yes it's my MT-09. Frame and wheels are fine, I didn't think anything amiss with the forks but the dealer thinks they are bent. Wheels/brakes are fine, tank is dented but not punctured. Dash works. I need new rearsets as the pegs snapped. Radiator hit a tree, smashed in the side and ripped off the hoses, and there's a small crack in the sump as it dropped its oil. Scratches on various covers and bits, and plastic are cosmetic. Not sure if there's anything else they might find that's important, but that's what I know. I have access to a parts bike in Aussie which has everything except the motor - I just need to be sure which bits are needed so they can pull them off and send them over. I suppose taking literally everything except the wheels tank and frame would cover me and I could try sell bits not needed. Rush shipping from Aussie could get it here in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Is it the MT-09 in your profile? Why do you think you need a radiator? They can be repaired quite often, (they are aloooominum).

First off: is the bike straight? frame, forks, wheels in a line. Are the wheels/discs/calipers damaged? Fuel tank (assuming its metal and not just a plastic cover over a fuel cell.) How about the dash?

Anything else is just cosmetics. It doesnt have to be pretty, just rideable in three weeks.

Or, take your five grand, go buy something for three grand, spend two grand on Jack Daniels and hookers. Or on deferred maintenance - tyres and oil changes and steering head bearings and maybe chain and sprockets. Park the MT, deal with it after the Burt. Get back from the Burt, sell your other bike, tip the money into fixing the MT -09.

Above all, stop whining like a bitch. Gather information, make a fucking plan, then implement the motherfucker. Don't make me get all Jules Winnfield on your sorry arse.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Yes it's my MT-09. Frame and wheels are fine, I didn't think anything amiss with the forks but the dealer thinks they are bent. Wheels/brakes are fine, tank is dented but not punctured. Dash works. I need new rearsets as the pegs snapped. Radiator hit a tree, smashed in the side and ripped off the hoses, and there's a small crack in the sump as it dropped its oil. Scratches on various covers and bits, and plastic are cosmetic. Not sure if there's anything else they might find that's important, but that's what I know. I have access to a parts bike in Aussie which has everything except the motor - I just need to be sure which bits are needed so they can pull them off and send them over. I suppose taking literally everything except the wheels tank and frame would cover me and I could try sell bits not needed. Rush shipping from Aussie could get it here in a few days.
    Well there we go. you can check the forks yourself when you get the bike back. (drop them, and spin them in something and watch the ends.. it will be obvious if they are bent. Carefully look at the triples too if they are alloy. The only thing I would be worried about is if it was still running when it dumped its oil... because you might have lunched the motor. was it sliding down the road and over a kerb or something then hit a tree? Like can you work out how the sump cracked and whether or not thats major? It might be able to be welded ("might"). I have seen welded up crankcases - its sometimes done on CB750's when they break a chain and it wads up round the front sprocket and takes out a lump of the cases. Like anything, it CAN be done (by the right guy with the right tools) but it might not be cost effective.

The rad does sound like an issue. You've also checked round the coolant inlets outlets on the engine I trust? looking for cracks or damage.

Whats stopping you going into the shop, finding YOUR bike, and making your own list? Sounds like you've got a handle on most of it. Take your cellular telephone... some of them come with cameras these days, which can be useful in documenting stuff you would like to refer to later. I also can't believe there isn't a bent or broken one somewhere in the country. People fall off them all the time.......
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I need a radiator (I knew that before we started) and they just advised it will take 14 working days to ship from Japan. I could of course get a used one faster, but I'm trying to get a (more) complete list so I can ship all the stuff I need (that's available on the parts bike) one time from Australia. It does depend on what their final list includes as 'vital' and how much might be available from outside Japan - but it becomes less likely by the day.
    At the moment there are a few variables which you need to straighten out. The advice offered so far is sound - Get your bike back and get yourself a firm idea of what needs to be done. You're in an unfortunate position and I feel for you. This is something you'll chalk up to experience when you look back on it.

Incidentally what caused you to not make the corner? Is there anything about your riding which you might want to improve as a result of this happening? Get something useful out of all of this and make yourself feel better about it. As others have said - Post some pictures/details about the damage up on here and use the benefit of others' expertise/contacts and experience to help you.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    There are tons of parts easily available on the internet, particularly outside of Japan. Remember that MT09 is called FZ09 in US, you can find things on eBay. There are a lot of Japanese parts suppliers out of US who would ship directly as well.

Thread Information