Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modifying LAMS Motorcycles

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    Doesn't changing the lights set up fall foul of WoF regulations? Or did that kerfuffle peter out?
    Light set-up has nothing whatsoever with LAM's regulations. There ARE requirements for lighting for a WOF.

There is NO stipulation the lighting fitted to your motorcycle ... HAS to be as the original manufacturer installed them.

Headlamps - Reasons for rejection.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ting/headlamps

Direction Indicator lamps - Reasons for rejection.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ndicator-lamps
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Light set-up has nothing whatsoever with LAM's regulations. There ARE requirements for lighting for a WOF.

There is NO stipulation the lighting fitted to your motorcycle ... HAS to be as the original manufacturer installed them.

Headlamps - Reasons for rejection.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ting/headlamps

Direction Indicator lamps - Reasons for rejection.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ndicator-lamps
    Cheers, I must have misunderstood what was going on with people complaining over their bikes failing WoFs due to changed lights

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, I must have misunderstood what was going on with people complaining over their bikes failing WoFs due to changed lights
    Some clarification in the LAM's rules have been made lately. Some misunderstanding may have occurred with some WOF outlets. Or not.

There are minimum standards for lighting on a motorcycle. And some fail to achieve that.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Some clarification in the LAM's rules have been made lately. Some misunderstanding may have occurred with some WOF outlets. Or not.

There are minimum standards for lighting on a motorcycle. And some fail to achieve that.
    The impression I had gotten was from people going a bit over the top with their lighting...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The impression I had gotten was from people going a bit over the top with their lighting...
    A few have been found foul of the law ... with spot lights that can be on when the lights are on dip.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    It is in the wording. Spot lights can ONLY be on when high beam is on.
    A light bar however is not allowed to be switched by the high beam. It must have a completely seperate circuit. So it can potentially be turned on with dip. It makes no sense, but that is what I nearly failed on last month in my ute. He let me go through but warned me.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    It is in the wording. Spot lights can ONLY be on when high beam is on.
    A light bar however is not allowed to be switched by the high beam. It must have a completely seperate circuit. So it can potentially be turned on with dip. It makes no sense, but that is what I nearly failed on last month in my ute. He let me go through but warned me.
    Some don't bother reading wording in the Reg's ... just hook everything up. Be using it ... and get a fail at the next WOF.

For a while I was doing quite a few night rides on the FJ ... and had fitted (by a sparky)a few spotlights. The downside was that to go from (seemingly) broad daylight on high beam to (seemingly) pitch black darkness on low beam was a pain. In the end I ditched the spotties ... and just upgraded the main bulb.

Thread Information