Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying LAMS Motorcycles

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    To confirm any gains ... put it on the dyno before and after ... doing that may confirm if the the HP claims of the manufacturer were correct or not. Often they are not.
    There is a YouTube clip where the official Trump accessory full system(Vance and Hines?) is fitted to a 900cc Triumph twin for a gain of one solitary BHP on a recently calibrated dyno. That one BHP cost about $3,000.

BIKE magazine tested after market cans some years back, some produced less horses than the stock cans.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Do the sums and figure it out yourself. ie: actual weight saved and the actual (if any) HP gained and see if it fits in the approved formula result.

To confirm any gains ... put it on the dyno before and after ... doing that may confirm if the the HP claims of the manufacturer were correct or not. Often they are not.

By your own words .. "more than likely" means not absolute. And to get a definite noticeable (possible) increase in power to the back wheel ... improvements to jetting are usually required to gain anything.

Most don't bother to re-jet and and are quite happy with the new sound of the exhaust (but still claim they notice a performance gain). Usually the actual (only ??) reason they want to "Upgrade" the exhaust system is "The better sound" ...
    Are you being deliberately dense?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    Anyhow i am going to start a convo with a block of wood.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Are you being deliberately dense?
    See post #16 in this thread. Perhaps it's you that needs to change their thinking.

The listed HP on most motorcycles are true only if the tolerances on the entire engine are within design specifications ... as listed pre-production.

With mass production ... this seldom occurs. Some are down 3-4 HP before they get out of the factory.

If you want your motorcycle at full factory spec's and tolerances ... get it "Blueprinted" ...

In the old days of Mini 7's race car engines ... THAT was the only (officially sanctioned) way to get the allowable maximum horsepower.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    Anyhow i am going to start a convo with a block of wood.
    Talking to yourself again ...

Bike
    KTM
    Some NZ dude on ADVrider was talking about how his insurance wouldn't insure a LAMS bike if it has been 'modified'.

'Accessories' were allowed.

Example, a windscreen clipon can be removed without impacting the bikes overall operation - accessory
    a new seat, however, if removed would render the bike unusable - modification

fuck knows if it's true but I guess it pays to check with insurance right?

edit -
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/lams-...-mods.1377857/

"For the purposes of insuring a LAMS motorcycle, a modification is deemed to be a change to any parts that were originally supplied as part of the motorcycle by the manufacturer. If you have added something to the bike that has not involved the removal or modification of a part of the original motorcycle, then we deem it an accessory and this will not stop us from offering you Full Cover."

Bike
    2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
    Well if anyones still interested I ended up buying an R3 with a akrapovic full exhaust system.. And I just crashed it earlier this week with comprehensive insurance..
    I'll let you guys know if they pay out.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGremlin View Post
    Well if anyones still interested I ended up buying an R3 with a akrapovic full exhaust system.. And I just crashed it earlier this week with comprehensive insurance..
    I'll let you guys know if they pay out.
    That could be interesting...

Good luck.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Whether or not your insurer pays out has nothing to do with the legality. If the status of the bike was accurately disclosed then they will pay. Doesn't change the fact that a modified LAMS bike is not a LAMS bike.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    There's always the possibility that a staff member of the insurance company is a member on KB?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There's always the possibility that a staff member of the insurance company is a member on KB?
    If all modifications were declared at the time of insurance sign up, it does not matter because that is how insurer did the underwriting.

Bike
    2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
    So update, they payed out in full! No mention of the akrapovic exhaust system.
    Hope this helps anyone else worried about insurance/lams bikes, but I'd still be cautious as it may vary depending on assesor's knowledge.
    Already purchased another modified r3

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Forgetting the actual law for a moment and focusing on the intent of the law I can't see how an R3 can ever get to the sort of power a Lams SV650 or Gsr600 gets to. The intent of he HUGE change to the Learner legal bike law was to allow bigger capacity bikes to be learner bikes . but what biker in their right mind ever wants to stir up that hornets nest?
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Forgetting the actual law for a moment and focusing on the intent of the law I can't see how an R3 can ever get to the sort of power a Lams SV650 or Gsr600 gets to. The intent of he HUGE change to the Learner legal bike law was to allow bigger capacity bikes to be learner bikes . but what biker in their right mind ever wants to stir up that hornets nest?
    I see a change to the wording on the NZTA site.

250cc to 660cc learner-approved motorcycles

The modifications below are intended to allow the user to customise/personalise their motorcycle without increasing the power to weight ratio. Some modifications will have a minor effect on power and others a minor effect on weight. However, these are not considered to be significant.
    Allowed modifications

Slip on muffler/exhaust
    Fairings/plastics
    Wheels and tyres
    Lights
    Any other minor modification that would not affect power to weight ratio. e.g. handlebars or seats.

Note: Low Volume Vehicle (LVV) certification may be required for some modifications.

Note 2: It is likely a condition of your insurance policy to advise your insurer of any modifications that have been made to your motorcycle.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/lams/

Pretty much what I've stated in my posts in this thread.

Now it's in writing and official.

Bike
    '08 Wee
    I see a change to the wording on the NZTA site.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...orcycles/lams/

Pretty much what I've stated in my posts in this thread.

Now it's in writing and official.
    Doesn't changing the lights set up fall foul of WoF regulations? Or did that kerfuffle peter out?

Thread Information