Thread: GN250 Clutch Problems

Bike
    Suzuki GN250

GN250 Clutch Problems

My delightful 2005 GN250 has recently been giving me a bit of grief with clunky gear engagement and slipping under throttle. I suspect the clutch has come to the end of its tough life and needs to be replaced.

There is a huge amount of information posted around the internet by passionate (and likely frustrated) GN 250 owners, and am hoping to have a go replacing the clutch myself, but am really struggling to find anywhere that specifically sells an OEM or aftermarket clutch kit for a 2005 model.

Short of going to a workshop and ordering through them, can anyone tell me where I should be looking for a clutch kit for a 2005 model online or elsewhere around Auckland, or if one of the many online clutch kit suitable for an earlier model will be suffice to fit on an a later model?

Cheers,
    Your Loyal GN250 Enthusiast

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I very much doubt it there is any difference in the parts you require for the 2005 model, than those fitted to earlier models.

Phone or E.mail your local (or any) Suzuki dealer and ask.

If you have a Workshop manual for it, the part numbers will be in it. Plus the manual will help with repairs.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    How many kms has itdone? Are you sure the clutch cable is correctly adjusted?

Looking at the bottem end castings of the GN250 and the TU250 I wouldn't be surprised if zshare didn't share the same clutch. The full gasket set is the same for the two models.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Drain the oil, push the thing over on its side and pull the cover. Clean up the plates if they are glazed.. find enough old spark plugs the right size to pull the washers off to preload the springs a bit at the bottom on the spring. Use new bike specific oil and retry.

Save some money and sell the fucker. Motorcycling can be so much more enjoyable than a GN. I remember when an old gf rode my bike at a training course. She immediately rode better on a mid size inline 4 as it didn't have a stupid riding position and long spindly forks at a jaunty angle. This despite she already had low bars on it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I think GNs have a centre stand. I wouldn't put a bike on it's side without first removing the tank and removing the battery if it is a lead acid type.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't even going to suggest a soft landing area. Grass would work being charitable.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    My first front wheel bearing change was on a CJ250 Honda. No centre stand so laid it over in the garden by barracks at Hobsiville. Commuted on that bike from Auckland and Havelock North and back every other weekend for a year.

Bike
    Suzuki GN250
    Thanks for the suggestions, including to sell the fucker. It’s done around 70k and is in pretty decent shape, and I still get a lot of enjoyment riding it so not ready to pass it on just yet.

I’ve checked the part numbers of the clutches for different models as you suggest and it seems that nothing has changed. That’s great news as there are some good aftermarket kits around.

Cheers for all the help guys

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Nice to see you are doing a bit of homework. At least the GN250 is simple to maintain. I think the only major differences between the GN and TU donks are the TU bores are Susukis version of Nikisel ie no cast iron liner for the barrel and FI with some stuff to reduce emisions a bit.

Thread Information