Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to get a bike and I am beginer :)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post

As to choices to learn on - since the LAMs scheme, there has been an incredible range of choices for good learner machines. Most of them make pretty good commuters too. It's actually hard to buy a bad learner bike these days. It looks like you're into cruisers, have you had a look at the Suzuki Boulevard S40?
    Defenately one of the crappiest bikes to leard how to handle on.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Defenately one of the crappiest bikes to leard how to handle on.
    OK perhaps not the best choice for an absolute beginner. Maybe better as a next step if cruisers are the go.

Bike
    Looking to get one

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Understood that the OP has particular preferences but you might seriously want to think about drawing a hard line as to how old the bike is.

Old bikes are cheap for a pretty good set of reasons... basically lots of little things start failing due to wear, corrosion, and fatigue. Electricals in particular start getting glitchy.

You've said that you don't want to take too much of a hit on resale, which is fair enough, but it might make sense to trade that off against visits to a mechanic and spare parts. That's if you can get spare parts at all. Past a number of years most manufacturers stop supporting bikes, and the bits you need the most start becoming the hardest to source... anyway the inevitable frequent breakdowns can become quite frustrating unless you are running more than one bike.

I'd add to the voices against the GN250. I've certainly seen a few people start biking on these, promptly go "this is shit" and quit because it's a very limited bike... I've also heard too many stories over the years of people getting injured on them. They handle badly and aren't forgiving when things get tight.

As to choices to learn on - since the LAMs scheme, there has been an incredible range of choices for good learner machines. Most of them make pretty good commuters too. It's actually hard to buy a bad learner bike these days. It looks like you're into cruisers, have you had a look at the Suzuki Boulevard S40?
    Thanks for your advice its is very sound and no, I have not looked at that bike but will do. I am looking to buy Honda Shadow VT or VLX 600 but can't find one in NZ and it will cost me around the same as what I would spend on my first bike roughly. I looked on Trade Me and suzuki 250 inturers and yamamah vitraio 250s are going for 2-3.5k which is roughly what a 1998 honda shadow is going for atm but not sure if I can turn that into a bobber like I want.

Bike
    Looking to get one

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    You realise you aren't limited to that capacity though, right? Honda VT250 Spada used to be my go-to recommendation. As others have said, you want something you can comfortably sit on, not something with a full fairing (expensive if you drop it, and you are very likely to drop it.)
    Hahaha true true, Yeah I know I am not limited to those bikes but my personal tase in bikes is more like Harley old school type. I am young but like old school bikes and cars don't get me wrong new ones are good but idk just something about them :0 Hence I am looking for a 199x's Honda Shadow VLX or VT 600.

Thread Information