Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bringing a 30yr old KDX back to life

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans

bringing a 30yr old KDX back to life

well... goes like this, scored a 89 KDX200 of a mate, he is the 2nd owner and didn't use it much, in fact its sat dormant for several years 3-5 since it was last started... soooo I was expecting a few issues, like on fire up crank seals etc would or could tear open, and id be in for a major rebuild which I wouldn't be able to afford. But as luck might have it I don't think there are any engine or transmission issues.

The water pipes were all rock solid and crunchy cables seized and the carb had not but a film but caked in a black tar. Carbs took three cleans to get right, the radiator didn't look to bad but fuck me there was a lot of dry shit in the hoses, so several flushes and replacements they are better but i'm still flushing the shit out.
    On fire up and like all good strokers it did start but was not happy, the exhaust was blocked so I removed the center baffle with the glass in it so it could breath, hiffed the rest in the brazer and cooked up the oil.

so I should have taken photos as I went but was all to excited as Id been hassling this mate for a long time.. hey my boy victorious has a KX80 so i wanted to rip the local river bed up with him.
    The bike when it was new had both guards and head light removed, the side covers were covered in clear film.
    After the first hoon (photos with the number 38 on I replaced all the used plastics with the original, the side covers cleaned up awesome with a lot of elbow grease, and under neith 30yrs of shit the original number boards were still there and scrubbed up mint.

The bike slowly started reving beter and beter, I was thinking mean its all gonna be ok... but noooo... the radiator started pressurising back into the catch bottle so i knew all wasent well.
    took the clutch cover case off which I should have done earlier and found the water pump impeller had rusted away completely... gone dissolved unbelievable, even the bolt head holding it on was history.. so i'm kinda hoping I hadent cooked its self as id been giving it the berries to clear it out.
    seems ya cant get 30yr old parts anymore stupid kawka but hey after searching the globe I think I have found a new shaft and impeller from a local shop bailey MC.

Right photos in next post and my thoughts on my 1st trail bike... stupid things.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Having never had a dirt bike, I was kinda excited in all, figered can't be to different to a road bike.
    Well... Down the the river I went with my kid kber victorious and had a play... WTF is this shit, it was like riding a jelly fish on P, bugger me it was like every bearing and seal was shaged worse than a Manchester street hooker...
    So asked SVboy for some pointers... All he did was nod and say "if in doubt... Power out"
    OK... I'll try that, so I'm having a few doubts on the corners, POWERED Out, ended up going straight and into the scrub.
    Booting along a stop bank... Had a doubt... POWERED Out ended up down the bank on my arse with my 9yr old on his KX shaking his head at me... Fuck this thing is fun love strokes... But alas its all turned turtle litrely it's upside down on the garage floor awaiting internal organs, that don't exist...

So heres a few pics, I have some questions for anyone out there that know the kdx, cos it's all new to me.

re pics FAIL.. will try tomorow
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    From the start to now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20191208124138.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	891.7 KB 
ID:	344248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20191214161848.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	820.1 KB 
ID:	344249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20200115184945.jpg 
Size:	782.7 KB 
ID:	344250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20191225131318.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	904.5 KB 
ID:	344251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20191225132652.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	813.6 KB 
ID:	344252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20200105122911.jpg 
Size:	670.4 KB 
ID:	344253  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Right come on kdx gurus... Note the drain area is now partly blocked of with my helicoil... Well, if you remove the bolt and look up its orifice it goes into a open area... Is that the gear box in there.. So the box drains out... But how the bloody hell does the oil get from the clutch side to the gears???

Name:	15792327540642590171257635694465.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	778.2 KB 
ID:	344267  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Right come on kdx gurus... Note the drain area is now partly blocked of with my helicoil... Well, if you remove the bolt and look up its orifice it goes into a open area... Is that the gear box in there.. So the box drains out... But how the bloody hell does the oil get from the clutch side to the gears???
    If this is the same as yours (visually it checks out) there is a hole in the c/case above the centre bearing.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1372642089

Ron Ayers can be a handy site to spot stuff but wrong side of the crankcase was shown.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/...dx200-e1-parts

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	344268  
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 17th January 2020 at 16:56.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    If this is the same as yours
    Hey man... Well no, even tho it says 89... I have been told they up to 93 are the same... But no the pump shafts differ as I have found out, mine looks nothing like your link, that looks 94 on... Buggered if I know

Re oil getting from the clutch side to the box, only hole I can see is the wee bugger under that spring...
    I was worried that it back flows up the drain hole whis I now have a helecoil blocking

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-17-17-46-29-02.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	344270  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    fucken hell, a great thread started on KB< not seen one of these for a while. It's even about motorbikes n shit.
    I got nuthin to help ya right now, but super happy you posting this

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    fucken hell, a great thread started on KB< not seen one of these for a while. It's even about motorbikes n shit.
    I got nuthin to help ya right now, but super happy you posting this
    and its good to still see 15yr old names pop up here to... cos we seem to be nodding off a bit these days.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Looks like there are two holes at the top of the casing with two dams that feed oil into the gearbox when You fill it. Would your issue be the helicoil blocking oil from draining from the clutch side when you change it? How deep is the sump plug? If it is shallow, can you cross drill the helicoil. Yikes!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Mate I was late back into dirtbike at 30 having had a PE175 stolen at 16 only ridden twice.

Best thing I've done. Only live once. If you fall over 4k find yourself a GasGas 200. Or 250 or 300. Difference is exceptional and enjoyable 150% more.

Live once.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    righ ohhh... got me referb kit today so fitted up new bearings and gaskets.. the pump seal tho was diferent to the one i took out, and after I fitted it noticed there was a second part to it, fucked if I know were thats ment to go...

well.. helecoil has worked no leaks, same with the water...50m up the road later, water in the oil, that quick.. fuck, will strip down again next week.

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Mate I was late back into dirtbike at 30 having had a PE175 stolen at 16 only ridden twice.

Best thing I've done. Only live once. If you fall over 4k find yourself a GasGas 200. Or 250 or 300. Difference is exceptional and enjoyable 150% more.

Live once.
    mates got a husky wr360... you would not think its a stroker, torque is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Looks like there are two holes at the top of the casing with two dams that feed oil into the gearbox when You fill it. Would your issue be the helicoil blocking oil from draining from the clutch side when you change it? How deep is the sump plug? If it is shallow, can you cross drill the helicoil. Yikes!
    are you refering to the post above of the casing... nothing like mine.
    but hey filled it up to day and no worries.. and no leaks.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My 300 has amazing low end power followed by great midrange and a big zing at the top. You would not think it is a foulstroke as it is so much better and of course lighter.
    And sounds better.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Out for a hoon with the boy...

Name:	Screenshot_2020-01-19-12-42-01-54.jpg 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	344273  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    externally the KDX looks real good,

Thread Information