Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS Tracker

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It got broken when it was discovered in the shower at the gym. Mike later ruefully noted he should have put it in the wimin's shower.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on

GPS Tracker - install

The tracker is now installed on the bike

GPS works best a good clear view of the sky. Those gps signals are really weak, so you dont want any metal between it and the heavens. As the DRZ is very largely plastic I had a range of choices from under tail piece; seat; tank or screen. Not wanting to give away too much, you can see where I chose in the photos. I like some of the camouflage options suggested here, but in the end I just wanted to get it on the bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0050.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	344386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0042.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	344387

The wiring harness runs along the main loom, using the same clips. I have run the earth wire direct to the battery, and the main power is discretely tucked into the hot side of the fuse. The harness has a thick black sheath, but the control wires themselves are quite thin. I haven't found where the power on detect wire can attach, and I'm not going to use the kill relay, so I've just wound them out of the way for now.

Name:	Photo0049.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	705.3 KB 
ID:	344385

I've been playing and testing the configuration on my desk this week. They are a little fernicketty, and the lack of any real user documentation slowed me down, but I think I have it working as desired. For the record the best resources I could find were from a english sailor http://soggy-sailor.blogspot.com/201...s-tracker.html and an almost relevant manual https://usermanual.wiki/ShenZhen-LHY...ogy/LK209/html Edit: https://viptracker.com.au/image/data...and%20list.pdf is also handy.

One thing the testing revealed is the backup battery only lasts around twenty four hours, not the three days I was expecting from advertised current draw and battery size. More worryingly, I have also had a few instances when it has not awoken when queried. I am hoping the issue is power related and will go away now we are connected the bike battery - fingers crossed.

Real world testing next...
    =mjc=

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    Real world testing next...
    Following with interest.

Bike

GPS Tracker - where

Name:	where.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	344390

Working? - seems so
    =mjc=

Bike

GPS Tracker - summary

The evidence:

Name:	gps_test.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	344670

So I've had a while to play now - and the conclusions are

a: it works as tracker

b: its reliable - 100% so far

c: its great peace of mind for not many $$$

Commentary...

It works exactly as I hoped.

I can query the bike for its location and status.

It was easy to install and has been 100% reliable so far.

To save txt charges, I'm not using the alarm functions much. But they can easily be turned on when wanted. I have also disabled the alarm auto-arm. I could never quite set the configuration exactly as I wanted - there seems no way to stop the move alarm from calling as well as txting, you can with the vibration and shock sensor.

As well as short back-up battery life, one of the learnings has been that it is twice as expensive to run as you budget. You end up paying twice each time you call the unit - for the call txt and for the response...

But next time I would be thinking of getting a similar unit, but with the bigger backup battery.

It looses points for fiddly configuration and poor documentation - all in all I'd rate it as about 8.5 of 10

I'm going to put one on every bike I own.

Just my $0.02
    =mjc=

Bike

GPS Tracker - bonus

The bike just called.

The tracker was unhappy - not seeing enough volts.

This is the alert you get if the battery is pulled from the bike.

But I'd just left the key on, and thus the headlights, when I got home a couple or three hours earlier.

Nice of it to warn me, those DR-Z batteries are just a bit too darned small...
    =mjc=

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You would have preferred the warning 20 min after you had gone to bed?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2019 Canyon Roadlite AL 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    The evidence:

Name:	gps_test.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	344670

So I've had a while to play now - and the conclusions are

a: it works as tracker

b: its reliable - 100% so far

c: its great peace of mind for not many $$$

Commentary...

It works exactly as I hoped.

I can query the bike for its location and status.

It was easy to install and has been 100% reliable so far.

To save txt charges, I'm not using the alarm functions much. But they can easily be turned on when wanted. I have also disabled the alarm auto-arm. I could never quite set the configuration exactly as I wanted - there seems no way to stop the move alarm from calling as well as txting, you can with the vibration and shock sensor.

As well as short back-up battery life, one of the learnings has been that it is twice as expensive to run as you budget. You end up paying twice each time you call the unit - for the call txt and for the response...

But next time I would be thinking of getting similar small GPS unit, but with the bigger backup battery.

It looses points for fiddly configuration and poor documentation - all in all I'd rate it as about 8.5 of 10

I'm going to put one on every bike I own.

Just my $0.02
    How long can the battery life last? I see that AMERICALOC seems to be able to achieve 30 days of battery life. Do you know anything about it? I am ready to get a new GPS.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon View Post
    How long can the battery life last? I see that AMERICALOC seems to be able to achieve 30 days of battery life. Do you know anything about it? I am ready to get a new GPS.
    The on-board battery seems to last only about 24 hours.

It took the unit over three weeks to drain the bike's battery while sitting in lockdown (note that DR-Z's have a small battery).

I think I can set a power save mode which deactivate the gps until the shock sensor detects movement which should save a lot of the drain, but I haven't bothered to play with it much...
    =mjc=

Thread Information