Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold Course Tomorrow

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Having hands, feet and arse at a good position goes a long way to make it easy for low speed manouvering. Front tire type/size and tire pressure as well.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Interestin. When I became more adept at slow speed handling on my TDM, watched a lot of moto gymkhana videos, I stopped using the clutch. Constant revs and modulate the rear brake for in and out of a turn.

Never stalled (thankfully), must be engine characteristics.

Pretty sure I stopped using the clutch on the 2t, too.
    I'm looking forward to the Motogymkhana at the Shiny Side Up events, on my RT.

I've also watched those videos, just a couple of days ago. I'll be giving the no-clutch approach a go when I'm out on the bike next.

Old dogs, new tricks, and so on.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I'm looking forward to the Motogymkhana at the Shiny Side Up events, on my RT.

I've also watched those videos, just a couple of days ago. I'll be giving the no-clutch approach a go when I'm out on the bike next.

Old dogs, new tricks, and so on.

Not using the clutch was an accident. It dawned on me one day that I wasn't using it, just covering it.

I still do full lock figure 8's when I find a quiet car park. Nothing flash, the bike basically idles around in circles quite happily.

Accelerating from one turn into the next can get interesting. Both brakes, holding a few revs, release front brake, start turn, release back brake, stand up.... Cutch if too fast or too much back brake but the bike drops like a sack of spuds with no drive and it's top heavy with a lead frame. Got to have throttle for 360's.

Be interested to hear how the BMW goes at motogymkhana, should be excellent. Dunno if my not using the clutch is a help or hindrance TBH. I would hate to hear you stalled it and cursed Mr Formby from under the bike.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Riding the clutch and using the back brake at the same time still make me wince just a little as it doesn't feel very mechanically sensitive but I managed to get the MV turning well.
    If memory serves correctly, your MV Rivale is a wet multiplate clutch, and those clutches will stand up to lots of slipping at lowish revs whilst riding rear brake. Once you get pretty good at it, you'll only be running engine at fast idle anyway, thus some degree of mechanical sympathy is restored.

There is one serious downside to being an instructor, the "improvement opportunities" one sees in other road users is a near endless monologue

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    If memory serves correctly, your MV Rivale is a wet multiplate clutch, and those clutches will stand up to lots of slipping at lowish revs whilst riding rear brake. Once you get pretty good at it, you'll only be running engine at fast idle anyway, thus some degree of mechanical sympathy is restored.

There is one serious downside to being an instructor, the "improvement opportunities" one sees in other road users is a near endless monologue
    It's momotonous alright. Slippiing the wet clutch at walking speed in traffic is a piece of piss and wont harm the clutch at all. .\

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Be interested to hear how the BMW goes at motogymkhana, should be excellent. Dunno if my not using the clutch is a help or hindrance TBH. I would hate to hear you stalled it and cursed Mr Formby from under the bike.
    The boxers have very good weight distribution, and I'm guessing the RT would have a very similar lock to the GSA (excellent, best I've come across). The main difference would be the final drive ratio, with the RT one of the highest.

I do plenty of footpaths, close quarters with runners and tight turns in run courses, complete with a camera man on the back. I try to warn them to sit still as a tight turn comes up, but most of the time I can still get the bike over in full lock whatever they're doing.

To me, confidence is key, which comes through practise. Knowing how the bike will respond, how much clutch/throttle/brake to use. I actually tend not to focus on it much, and thinking time (especially in events) is on the environment around me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The boxers have very good weight distribution, and I'm guessing the RT would have a very similar lock to the GSA (excellent, best I've come across). The main difference would be the final drive ratio, with the RT one of the highest.

I do plenty of footpaths, close quarters with runners and tight turns in run courses, complete with a camera man on the back. I try to warn them to sit still as a tight turn comes up, but most of the time I can still get the bike over in full lock whatever they're doing.

To me, confidence is key, which comes through practise. Knowing how the bike will respond, how much clutch/throttle/brake to use. I actually tend not to focus on it much, and thinking time (especially in events) is on the environment around me.
    Same, actually. Mrs Cat came on the Gold course with me, and we cracked out some wicked U-turns.

Learned to ride hard with a pillion after a few years of doing the Cycle Tour of Southland, 2 up.

I'm aware the the RT LC has a wet clutch, so it's better than my previous few.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Learned to ride hard with a pillion after a few years of doing the Cycle Tour of Southland, 2 up.

I'm aware the the RT LC has a wet clutch, so it's better than my previous few.
    Yep, my favourite word to describe event support, especially stage tours is "dynamic"

Ah, you have an LC (I'm starting to wonder if I seriously consider adding an LC GSA to the fleet). Clutch is improved and also access to it (common complaint of course from police forces). Instead the alternator was attached to the engine, and at one point there was a bad batch. Its easier to replace the alternator on the older model... of course
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information