Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Course Tomorrow

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Gold Course Tomorrow

I venture to call myself competent.

But I figure theres always something I can learn.

So a Ride Forever Gold course tomorrow it is for me.

I'll post up my impressions.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I thought that read Golf course. I was wondering why I even clicked on the link. Golf is tedious.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I thought that read Golf course. I was wondering why I even clicked on the link. Golf is tedious.
    A good walk spoiled.

Just sayin.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Does everyone get plastic Gold medaliun and certicate after the ride is finished with some icecream afterwoulds?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Does everyone get plastic Gold medaliun and certicate after the ride is finished with some icecream afterwoulds?
    No ice cream, you pay for it yourself.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I venture to call myself competent.

But I figure theres always something I can learn.

So a Ride Forever Gold course tomorrow it is for me.

I'll post up my impressions.
    Pity the instructor who has you as a student

So how did you do?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Pity the instructor who has you as a student

So how did you do?
    Once you think you know it all, you lose the ability to improve.

It was a really good day, riding in places I'd never been to, with guys I enjoyed meeting and riding with.

The instructor was very similar to me, and the day was reminiscent of courses I used to run. It was based on road craft, which I have always highly valued.

On the course were three other guys, and they all had big ADV bikes. An Africa Twin, a new KTM 1290, and a Triumph 1200 ADV beast. The instructor also had a matching 1200 Triumph, so I was the only one there with a road bike.

The guys with the big, tall ADV bikes really benefited from the slow speed control exercises. The instructor set up three basic police cone exercises. The ones that look really easy, but actually present challenges if you don't use the right technique. Made me feel at home, really.

My big takeaway was in analysing my own style as fed back by a different instructor.

Virtually the same syllabus was delivered, just in a different manner.

Yesterday highlighted the value of working with different instructors. Likely I'll do another Gold in 12 months, with a different instructor. Each different instructor you work with has a different background, from which you'll always pick up something you want to use.

Ironically, I'll be putting in my Cashback application tomorrow. Odd how the world turns.

Bike
    A
    Once you think you know it all, you lose the ability to improve.

It was a really good day, riding in places I'd never been to, with guys I enjoyed meeting and riding with.
    Wasn't taking pity on the instructor for that reason, merely the perceived pressure of taking one of the leadership guys of the R4E program out as a student.

Every day is a school day works for me.

Can only agree with rest of sentiments expressed.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Wasn't taking pity on the instructor for that reason, merely the perceived pressure of taking one of the leadership guys of the R4E program out as a student.

Every day is a school day works for me.

Can only agree with rest of sentiments expressed.
    We did a Gold Course in similar circumstances a few years ago. A highly qualified instructor instructing and a highly qualified instructor participating for the same reason as Rastus, the benefit of the 3rd eye. (Not me, I'm shit!)

By days end the instructor was grinning like a Cheshire cat, it seems that highly competent riders make for a good day in the office for instructors.

I was absolutely knackered by the time we got home, the concentration level was intense all day. Great learning experience from a road craft and handling perspective.

Must do another one...
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    We did a Gold Course in similar circumstances a few years ago. A highly qualified instructor instructing and a highly qualified instructor participating for the same reason as Rastus, the benefit of the 3rd eye. (Not me, I'm shit!)

By days end the instructor was grinning like a Cheshire cat, it seems that highly competent riders make for a good day in the office for instructors.

I was absolutely knackered by the time we got home, the concentration level was intense all day. Great learning experience from a road craft and handling perspective.

Must do another one...
    I can tell you, that when I was doing the full time instructor job, each day was truly knackering. It's the high concentration level required that did it.

A day as a motorbike cop is equally knackering, especially when you have the same job to do the next day.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I can tell you, that when I was doing the full time instructor job, each day was truly knackering. It's the high concentration level required that did it.

A day as a motorbike cop is equally knackering, especially when you have the same job to do the next day.
    I have the utmost respect for professional riders. Seeing Te Federales riding round London in the depths of winter, permanent twilight, slippy wet roads, always amazed me. The bikes and riders were always filthy.

Some of the shenanigans I've seen on training courses must give instructors grey hairs.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I did a Gold course in Blenheim this last weekend. There were 5 students and the one instructor which turned out to be a good ratio as we all got turns to lead when out on the open road. Plus we used both Queen Charlotte Drive as well as the Kenepuru Sound road which are really technical and good fun at the same time.

The slow speed exercises and emergency braking were perhaps the most beneficial bit for me. Plus we were blessed with a cracking day weather-wise which always helps.

It's funny - I rode my MV Rivale as I was keen to do the slower speed stuff on it to see how I got on. Riding the clutch and using the back brake at the same time still make me wince just a little as it doesn't feel very mechanically sensitive but I managed to get the MV turning well. Plus the front brake proved to be a little too effective when I managed to stoppie at my first attempt at the 50km/hr braking test Still, that's why we do these things I guess.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    The slow speed exercises and emergency braking were perhaps the most beneficial bit for me.
    Exactly the same for me Lee. My previous two bikes had poor lock and I was out of practice doing slow speed manoeuvres. It was a good opportunity to do them on the Duke with others watching - nowhere to hide! Like your MV, the Duke is a bit snatchy at the bottom end so learning to use the clutch and rear brake properly was an excellent refresher. Caspernz's phrase "every day is a school day"is particularly apt. The only way is down if you don't refresh your skills, no matter who you are.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I did a Gold course in Blenheim this last weekend. There were 5 students and the one instructor which turned out to be a good ratio as we all got turns to lead when out on the open road. Plus we used both Queen Charlotte Drive as well as the Kenepuru Sound road which are really technical and good fun at the same time.

The slow speed exercises and emergency braking were perhaps the most beneficial bit for me. Plus we were blessed with a cracking day weather-wise which always helps.

It's funny - I rode my MV Rivale as I was keen to do the slower speed stuff on it to see how I got on. Riding the clutch and using the back brake at the same time still make me wince just a little as it doesn't feel very mechanically sensitive but I managed to get the MV turning well. Plus the front brake proved to be a little too effective when I managed to stoppie at my first attempt at the 50km/hr braking test Still, that's why we do these things I guess.
    When I learned to ride the Popo bikes we were quite hard on clutches. We used far too many revs, and far too much back brake to compensate.

When you get better at it, you become very attuned to how much clutch, how much brake, and how much throttle to use when leaning the bike at low speed.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Interestin. When I became more adept at slow speed handling on my TDM, watched a lot of moto gymkhana videos, I stopped using the clutch. Constant revs and modulate the rear brake for in and out of a turn.

Never stalled (thankfully), must be engine characteristics.

Pretty sure I stopped using the clutch on the 2t, too.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information