Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: '98 Suzuki FX 650 Freewind.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Got a new battery for the XF650 this morning. The old one wasn't holding charge for long in the cooler weather. Got charged $43 less than I was quoted over the phone yesterday.
    How did you manage that then? Incidentally I'm trying 95 RON in the DR to see if it has any effect on the fuel consumption (Currently running around 20km/litre).
    Navy Boy

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    How did you manage that then? Incidentally I'm trying 95 RON in the DR to see if it has any effect on the fuel consumption (Currently running around 20km/litre).
    Ron recognised me from a previous storemans job I had. Had the battery ready and waiting. Did a lot of business with him. Also ran in to that outfits ApperalMaster guy while I was there. Pays to know people

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Ron recognised me from a previous storemans job I had. Had the battery ready and waiting. Did a lot of business with him. Also ran in to that outfits ApperalMaster guy while I was there. Pays to know people
    Navy Boy

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Well the day started with good intentions. Was going to drop SPYDA off the Cemetery Curcuit 2004 program to him in Lower Hut. Checked the weather. A bit cool down there but nothing a nice pair of thick cottan jarmy pants under my jeans can't overcome. So googled his street address and jotted down a few streets that lead to it on a peice of A4 paper which I folded in half put in plastic and taped to the back of the tank.

Got dressed for the occasion, pulled the XF650 out, fired her up and off we went. Decided to start on the road behind Massey to warm the tires up on those nice sweeping bends. Through to Shannon, back of Levin and on to PieCock. Left up PieCock Hilll, an old stopping ground in a previous life. A few slips the first couple of kms then fine from there. A lot of low sport cars coming the other way. Run of some sort I guess. Was toodling along fine until about 3/4 the way through. Something felt odd. Pulled over in a parking area looked down at the rear wheel and yip I had a flatty. Side stand down have a look at the tyre and it had picked up a flat head pin. "Bugger" I thought. I in a reasonably isolated road alone, no tyre pando to use. I've had 50/50 success with them anyway.

Hmmm "Bugger". Decided not to interrupt SPYDA from his Sunday slumber or morning nooky. It was pissing down over that way anyhooo. Hadn't reached the Estuary yet so decided to limp to there then backtrack to the highway. The rear tyre had a heavy duty tube with about 2/3rds wear on the tread and the bike is light as a feather so worth a gamble. Off we went around to the highway. I sat my arse on the front portion of the pillion part of the seat to keep some downward pressure on the rear tyre to help prevent it rolling off the rim. Being lanky it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Got around to the highway no worries and could get up tp 60kph without to too much drama. On to the highway and proceeded to go norf. The sign near the expressway stated 115kms to Balmy Palmy. I set a self imposed max speed of 45km for my an other road users safety sake. Checked the rear tyre and rim around every 10-15kms or so and while riding listened to any change noise coming from the rear. Obviously keeping as far left as possible without it being dangerous.

Put some gas in at Z in Levin and on on....... A few drivers and rider notified me the rear tyre was which was nice and generally most drivers gave me a wide birth while passing. Some waved. A few blkes out which was good to see.

Made it home at 3:00pm without any bother at all. I told Connie I'd be home around 3:30pm-4:00pm when I departed so within the margin of error. Apart from the speed it was a most enjoyable ride and worked out I'd done 130kms on the flatty. Obviously the pin head was worn a bit over that time.

As they say any day on your motorcycle is a good day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000071.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	531.4 KB 
ID:	346201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000073.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	663.8 KB 
ID:	346204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000070.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	365.6 KB 
ID:	346202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0000069.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	542.9 KB 
ID:	346203  

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Pulled the rear tyre off on Monday and removed one side of the tyre using my small tyre levers.Broke the beading on the other side with the tyre laid down on the rear tyre I had removed from the CB550 a week or so ago to stop any damage to the brake disk a or rim.. Pulled the tube out and removed the valve stem. The tyre had not rotated the entire 130km journey. Obviously yje stem got ripped from the tube and the tube had a few foot wide gashes around it. Inspected both the inside and the outside. Apart from about a 1/4 of a mil ribbing patch around the outside upper road camper side it looked fine. No sign of metal or cloth fiber protruding into to the inner wall of the tyre.

Gave it a good vacuum inside to remove any crap that may be there. Put in the nice heavy duty IRC tube I had in the garage. Refitted the tyre and used a portion of early '80 Suzuki gasaxe oil fiter seal to bloke the hole the pin had made to arouns 5mm below the top of the tread, leaving enough room between the tube and the "inset" so as the trye and pushes on toward the tube there will be still a small gap between the tube and the insert. Fitted the tyre yesterday went for a 100km ride to see how it went. This included about 6kms of just freshly graded gravel. Good as gold and should last to until I replace it before the next Wof in August.

Thread Information