Thread: Boulevard M90 ponderings

Bike
    2011 Boulevard M50 VZ800

Boulevard M90 ponderings

Virgin poster here - first time caller & all that...

I've pretty much decided I want a candy orange M90 and a bunch of extras so I can configure it as sexy single rider beauty one day (bare with rear cowling), and cruiser the next (pillion seat / sissy bar / screen / saddle bags).

I used to fancy the C50, but the M50/M90/M109r is such a great looking and versatile bike!

Enter problems and ponderings...
    • I can't find an M90 in candy orange!
    • - Q: What is that colour called anyway? ...did they not make the M90 in that gorgeous colour!?
    • The M50s I find seem to be 10+ years old
    • - Q: Anyone know when Suzuki stopped making them in that colour?
    • I've convinced myself that the M50 is just too small and I want the M90... convince me otherwise?
    • It seems to be incredibly slim pickings! I suppose the colour may be polarasing - What else am I missing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	344388 <<-- Picture to save 1,000 words

PS: There's a world where I buy a Vulcan 900 Custom or even Triumph Speedmaster instead, but it feels like a very distant world right now.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    Virgin poster here - first time caller & all that...

I've pretty much decided I want a candy orange M90 and a bunch of extras so I can configure it as sexy single rider beauty one day (bare with rear cowling), and cruiser the next (pillion seat / sissy bar / screen / saddle bags).

I used to fancy the C50, but the M50/M90/M109r is such a great looking and versatile bike!

Enter problems and ponderings...
    • I can't find an M90 in candy orange!
    • - Q: What is that colour called anyway? ...did they notmake the M90 in that gorgeous colour!?
    • The M50s I find seem to be 10+ years old
    • - Q: Anyone know when Suzuki stopped making them in that colour?
    • I've convinced myself that the M50 is just too small and I want the M90... convince me otherwise?
    • It seems to be incredibly slim pickings! I suppose the colour may be polarasing - What else am I missing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	344388

PS: There's a world where I buy a Vulcan 900 Custom or even Triumph Speedmaster instead, but it feels like a very distant world right now.

Keep looking, they're out there, wifes M50 is a damn good bike, can go 330K's on 15 Litres of juice and can go plenty fast enough in all gears (only got 5 though) Carries like a pack mule and ride is good.
    The colour is rare, but hell theres only 6 or so bits to em, take them off and paint em up!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Black is more slimming..

But yeh you can paint it what ever colour want.

Bike
    2011 Boulevard M50 VZ800
    Thx folks - buy an M90 and paint it might be the deal... Any idea how I find the colour, and suggestions on who in Auckland would do it?

I guess I just ask the parts folk @ Suzuki to provide colour details. They can also answer my interchangeability questions re: M50/M90/M109r bits.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    That 805cc Suzi motor has done good service in a number of models over the years. I briefly owned a VX800 (Remember those?) which was a naked/roadster machine with the motor fitted. Nice bike it was too.

As for the Speedmaster idea. I would argue that the Suzi's shaft drive makes it a better cruiser. That Bonnie Air Cooled motor is well suited to a cruiser type of bike but the Suzi will probably be cheaper.

As the others have said, you could get the relevant body parts painted if you want.

Bike
    2011 Boulevard M50 VZ800
    The M50 will certainly be the cheaper option, that's for sure. I just got an early indicative figure of $3,000 to paint! Ouch!

Last bike I owned was the Intruder 750 and I always longed for torque - especially two up... hence my desire for the M90... I suppose I should give the M50 a chance and test ride with a pillion.

Bike
    2011 Boulevard M50 VZ800
    My replies don't seem to be appearing...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Seems ok now. Best thing you can do is ride both. My brother had to large capacity Honda(16/1800 and 1400? I'm not interested in the style of bike) cruisers. He definately prefered the" smaller" capacity one. Pity he was rammed up the arse by a car at a round about. He really liked it. He now has an ST1300. He says the ST is safe to about 230kmph with panniers then things go wonky. And he is the most sensible one in the family.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    I had a 2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 in the colour you're referring to, Candy Orange Max. M50s came out in black and a colour limited to one year only. 2009 was black or Candy Orange Max, 2013 was black or blue (yeah, I came off my 2013 M50 twice and was black and blue). I think 2010 came out in black or red.

Don't know if the M90s and M109s had the same yearly colour change, the yellow with white stripes colour scheme on the M109 seemed to be around for a long time.

As for whether people like the color - YES!!! Didn't get one comment against it, lots of people would come over and say they liked the colour. Loved the M50, had two of them. In group rides north of Auckland bigger cruisers (eg. Harleys) would pull away on straights but then they'd brake like hell whenever a curve came up and I'd be right back on their tail.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    He now has an ST1300. He says the ST is safe to about 230kmph with panniers then things go wonky. And he is the most sensible one in the family.
    I had a ST1100 between my two M50s, in Australia. Perfect bike for Central Queensland, long flat straights and large radius curves, though it was nice to ride up over the coastal range with the tighter corners. Lovely bike the ST1100, large panniers, knew a guy who also had one, he used to take one pannier off and use it as his briefcase when he wnt in to the office. One problem I had, 29 inch inside leg. The ST1100 seat was a shade too high for me. Did do 200 km/hr out through the cane fields once, felt solid as and the dotted white line had become just a single solid white line. But I only did that once, and I think the ST1100 had a top speed around 225. Mine was an ex-Police bike, got a ticket for doing 140, the Traffic Cop had ridden them as Police bikes and said that it was easy to let your speed get away without noticing it.

Did a lot of pillioning with my wife on the back, on both my ST1100 and second M50, I was more cautious with her on the back and never went over 90, OK never went over 100. But the M50 handled the pillion really well, had agreat pillion seat. I was disappointed to have a disagreement with a taxi turning across my lane and then skidding on wet bus stop paint, two dislocated shoulders and bike riding had to go. But I'd still be riding that M50 if I continued riding.
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Thread Information