Thread: How do you set a price when selling parts?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

How do you set a price when selling parts?

I have a few used, good condition parts for sale and a possible buyer waiting. How do people set a price? I dont want to be totally rapacious, but dont want to give them away either. There are none of what is for sale on Trade me (not that I can find, anyway) and few on Ebay (where the freight becomes the killer). For example an instrument cluster, retails here for $1220. What would you consider a fair buy price?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    TradeMe will find you the market price: start it at a dollar, no reserve, and watch it go.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    ... What would you consider a fair buy price?
    Prices are good if demand is high and availability is low. Delivery is an issue if distance and weight is high.

Selling at what would be a loss is pointless ... unless you just want to help somebody out.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Whilst $1 reserve sounds good it relies on your target market being aware of it for sale.
    I've seen things that I would have bid on go for way less.
    Availability of your parts on Ebay is a guide, are they easy to obtain or hard to find.
    I usually put a high price on TM, as you can always go down.
    I've had good buys where someone sets the Buy it Now slightly above reserve and often that works out in your favour.
    Condition is everything and great photos sell.
    As mentioned freight can be a killer, some price guidance on this will help sales.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Hard innit? the people who deal in this stuff for a living start (I am told) at half of new price. Not sure how that actually works but that might be how your instrument cluster gets to be $1220. Particularly for late model bits. Trademe is fucked but its basically the only avenue in NZ now - you just need to know that their fees are around 10% of your gross. I had a big tidy up over Christmas and have sold about a grand's worth of stuff - a lot of it had a lot of wankers, sorry, watchers, but one bid. I've been deliberately pricing stuff low because my motivation is for stuff not to go to landfill, i.e. to be used by someone, and free up space in the garage. my short answer to your question is: I don't know but I am all ears for suggestions.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I found what I have on Ebay so I'm going to suggest to the seller that he pays the US price converted to NZ dollars, he will still save the exorbitant freight and and possible import charges. He can always say no. As it happens the Ebay price converts around 45% NZ new retail.
    Thanks for the insights.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information