Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why change your oil?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Do your motorcycles have dry clutch or divorced transmissions?
    Wet clutch. My R80 was the only bike with a dry clutch but my brother has it now. Hypoid gear oil I changed every 20,000km. Never ever had to change clutch plates in the bikes I've owned. Springs on the CB550 around the 80 ,000k mark iirc.

Edit-Sorry I owned a small framed BMW R65 for 5 years in the 80s..

Bike
    suzuki
    i ran my mitsi lancer for 90000kms without changing the oil, just topping it up . it died of a broken windscreen and rust failing warrant stuff

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Motorcycle specific oil is simply oil without friction modifier additives, which can bond to wet clutch plates and cause the clutch to slip.
    Some motorcycle oils are simply oil without friction modifying additives, I will leave those to the penny pinchers, others are a lot more than that.

The manual for my bike comes with the recommendation to use semi or full synthetic 10/40, so full synthetic is what goes in and it goes in when due.

Some oils are almost manufactured for specific bike types, eg Mobil 1 V Twin which is recommended for Harleys and the metric cruisers. You definitely should not put that in your 916 or your SP 1 etc.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So bearing in mind that the original post was probably a Troll. . . What's with people checking thier tyre pressure? If its flat you will notice the tyre all squashed up. You can deal with that next time you need gas.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So bearing in mind that the original post was probably a Troll. . . What's with people checking thier tyre pressure? If its flat you will notice the tyre all squashed up. You can deal with that next time you need gas.
    Thats what service attendents are for isn't it?

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Changing the oil and filter is one of those zen jobs. It's not time critical, so it can wait for the right mood. Why would a bikey not want to do it?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Changing the oil and filter is one of those zen jobs. It's not time critical, so it can wait for the right mood. Why would a bikey not want to do it?
    I'm not a bikey. You have been watching "Wild Hog" to many times. I' am a motocycle rider/motocyclist.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    When I was involved with BMW cars, the ones that had been religiously serviced at the factory specified (for environmental reasons) 25000km tended to harden all the rubber gaskets & piss oil & when you opened them up to fix the leaks, they were like a coal mine inside.
    The ones serviced at 10,000km however, were perfect.
    They also started to drink oil past the 10,000km service mark.
    And at 25000km the cartridge oil filters often broke up on removal & you had to dig it out in bits with long nosed pliers.
    I was pretty shocked when i noticed the first service and oil change on my Toyota ute was at 15,000 Km. I know modern Synthetics are good and breakdown less in use but 15k seems excessive?
    That said on the WR250R you apparently do not need to check the tappets until 45,000km i assume they are shim and bucket i cant be arsed loking nor is it worthwhile me even doing them as by the time i get the corrct shims ans tool it would be cheaper to ge tthe dealer to do them.
    I remember people selling Amsol used to tell people they didn't need to change the oil hardly ever...... it used to stay yellow, i assume it had no detergents in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...new oil and filter not only feels good..it is good...anyone that wants to debate that, is somewhat deficient in the neural pathways that make rational thinking on lubrication 101 hard to figure out...ffs...

Bike
    XJR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I'm not a bikey…... I' am a motocycle rider/motocyclist.
    I've always just been a "biker."

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Some people just can't pronounce big words.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    I've always just been a "biker."
    Sorry guys for my poor choice of words. I meant no offense.

There is something strangely satisfying, though, about oil changes. For me anyway.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    My take on that is the higher performance the machine is, the more important the oil change and oil type is. If you want to argue about it, go to a Ducati forum and see how you get on. Those guys are fucking passionate about viscosity.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzaH View Post
    Sorry guys for my poor choice of words. I meant no offense.

There is something strangely satisfying, though, about oil changes. For me anyway.
    Non taken it was all in jest. It's a almost complete blood transfusion for the bike. Doing any maintenance without getting charged exorbitant fees is good for the wallet also. Just know your limits.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    My take on that is the higher performance the machine is, the more important the oil change and oil type is. If you want to argue about it, go to a Ducati forum and see how you get on. Those guys are fucking passionate about viscosity.
    I hear Ducati forums are a bit like Amiga forums....

Thread Information