Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nylock Nut Myth.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I replace nylocs when the wear out and they do. Exhaust pipe mounts youd get 2 or 3 reuses out of them but they would turn on with little resistance after that. Heat, vibration, oil the usual suspects.

A friend (ex reconditioner) relayed his tutors example of a car block on a jig. Piston with no rings drops through bore. Decent spanner on strategic point, minor pressure = piston gets stuck. Wasn't a fan of stressed engine frames.

Of course as Greg points out, they have thought about load paths to isolate issues. Not to say it is always appropriate. Ducati poor old Pantah cases got increasingly tortured as they grew into well beyond their original remit.
    getting back to the pinnacle of modern motorcyle and engine design that is the VFR400 the cases are designed for 60hp which was the most that an engine in that class was allowed to produce. When they went racing (and remember it was hyper competitive at the time) they were getting 75hp out of them and the cases were OK. When that mad Yank started boring and stroking them to nearly 500cc and looking for 100* hp, not so much.

I should just clarify that I wasnt serious about using nylocks on crank bolts. Clearly the best thing would be bacon grease for thread lube and a few wraps of duct tape to hold it on. Maybe a zip tie for extra peace of mind.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Bacon grease? Bloody luxury. Lick it!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Using nylocks on anything that gerates heat isn't terribly bright. Better off with spring or star washers.
    2 stroke pipes don't get that hot. Race bikes get rebuilt in the pits when needs must. Fiddly spring washers under the bike aren't terribly bright.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Composition on the nylon component has changed over the years, they originally recommended them as single use only, depending on what it is for I'll also use coneloc or K-nut/jet-nut

Cone locks on exhaust studs & pipe joins..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    Cone locks on exhaust studs & pipe joins..

Makes more sence. Better than having a bucket of nylocks in the pits, Of course I was referring to your normal road bike which doesn't get stripped down after every run. Of course the exeption to that is a XS650.....

Bike
    2015 Suzuki M109R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    On an air compressor only i hope?
    Even then I'd be expecting mr conrod to create inbuilt crankcase ventilation.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I bought a trail bike engine once, when I opened it up, you know because he'd told me it was rebuilt by large franchise shop and I guess I'm an untrusting bastard, I found bearings that weren't C3, but they did have dust seals in lieu of crank seals. Also internal type circlips on the piston. Made them easier to remove to throw away. Glad it was cheap but I'd bet engines have been put together with all sorts of inappropriate fasteners.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I bought a trail bike engine once, when I opened it up, you know because he'd told me it was rebuilt by large franchise shop and I guess I'm an untrusting bastard, I found bearings that weren't C3, but they did have dust seals in lieu of crank seals. Also internal type circlips on the piston. Made them easier to remove to throw away. Glad it was cheap but I'd bet engines have been put together with all sorts of inappropriate fasteners.
    Surprisingly, I think it's actually better these days in terms of inappropriate fasteners.

You're too young, Dave. I started off when Brit bikes were daily transport and all you could get. The mixture of Cycle, Whitworth, BSF, B.A. and SAE threads which could be found on any common Brit bike led to some epic misuse of whatever nuts and bolts came to hand.

Then you get the anoraks trying to make sense of a bike today....I'll name drop, LOL. We showed Ivan Rhodes a pic of the old man after another NZ Beach championship in the 20's on a Big-port AJS. Ex works bike too.
    He was adamant the pic couldn't be the stated date because the timing cover screws had the wrong heads - and they didn't come in till later....

It had to be pointed out to him that as soon as a bike landed in NZ, due to the shortage of parts, whatever was to hand got used on them to keep them running. The screws in question were probably HD as the shop which owned the bike was also a Harley agent...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Say what you will about the French, I know I will, but Michelin tyres and the SI system were indeed worthwhile contributions to humanity as a whole. That fucked up system of gauges, threads per inch and fractions with different denominators was just dumb.

Bike
    BSA A10
    but Michelin tyres .
    They built some crap millimetric tyres that were absurdly expensive, rim measurements are still in inches and always will be
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well, to be fair that was at the behest of Citron or some queer local car maker.

But let's not forget the good work during the GP years

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Say what you will about the French, I know I will, but Michelin tyres and the SI system were indeed worthwhile contributions to humanity as a whole. That fucked up system of gauges, threads per inch and fractions with different denominators was just dumb.
    Yes, it's easy to forget. I work on US instrumentation so still carry AF tools in my work vehicle. But Yank stuff is simple compared to the fittings you could find on British vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    It was on the good
    I'll always prefer being six foot tall than 1.81m or whatever it is.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I prefer having a much larger number cm dick than the 3 or whatever inches. . . Oops. Overshare.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I'm jealous of kids today, 1000mm = 1 metre. 1000m = 1kilometre.

Compared to: 12in = 1 foot, three feet = 1 yard, 22yds = 1 chain, 220 yds =1 furlong, 440yds = 1/4 mile, 880yds = 1/2 mile, 1760 yds = 1 mile, 5280ft = 1 mile.

Then there was money...

They dunno how lucky they are.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information