Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Tenere 700

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Yamaha Tenere 700

Been reading a lot about new the Tenere , been a while since I've been excited about a new bike coming on stream.

Back in the late '80's I had a blue Tenere XT600 with the big tank. wish I still had it . Haven't had a ride on the new one yet but, I'm very tempted.

I like the price and the fact that that it's not overloaded with technology. Start it up and ride . Just what the doctor ordered.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'm sure it will be a ball of fun.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I've been following T7 threads on other forums, apart from a couple of wee things it is praised very highly. Tank range, seat, suspension a bit soft for heavier riders are commented on.

I'm looking at replacing my TDM with one at some point.

Chatting with T7 owners who have ridden TDM's they reckon the motor feels like it has more torque and more fun at higher revs. I was pretty much sold when I read that.

There are a few videos of T7's being punted pretty hard off road and the riders love it. A common comment is that it feels like a big WR450. Seems to be a lot of bike for the money!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    https://youtu.be/pVu3k8I5tdg

This was posted a few days ago. Rear spring being soft was called out at the end.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Yeah, seen the videos and agree . Never ridden a WR450 but I'm old school with probably 200 hours on the KX500 in my dirt bike days. The Tenere seems a lot of bike for the money. Suspension seems a bit soft, I'll take one for a squirt maybe next week. Need some room in the shed though, one bike needs to go.
    Yeah, a few of us need bigger sheds.

I rode big (ish) single cylinder trailies for many years, I loved their versatility. After getting into multi cylinder bikes I've never wanted to go back to a single.

Now, I'm just happy with parallel twins for my style of riding, which is not particularly quick..

I reckon the T7 could be the best of both worlds for me, the versatility of an old school big trailie and the character of the P-twin.

Heavier or loaded up riders in Aus are just changing the rear spring on the shock. Kits are already available for the forks.

Only ever ridden a 500 2t once (CR 500E)...... Startling, I couldn't hand it back quick enough. IIRC it was road legal. It was campaigned in the British Enduro Championship back in the day and some of the events had public road links between timed sections.

Jeeper, that was one of the vids I had in mind. Good review.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Yamaha XSRs had bad rear suspension as well. I used to have the XSR700 (same engine as in the Tenere 700 and MT07), but hated the suspension.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Yamaha XSRs had bad rear suspension as well. I used to have the XSR700 (same engine as in the Tenere 700 and MT07), but hated the suspension.
    This has been common for a lot of bikes from Yamaha. They make stonking engines and keep the price down with very average suspension. Was the same back in the day with RD's and the like.

I get the impression that the T7 is fine as is for average riders, it's when ridden hard off road or heavily loaded that the suspension becomes the weak link....

Manopausal.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Nothin' wrong with XSR suspension Jeepers if you tune it to your weight-unless of course you are a fatty in which case you will need to buy some bits,or lose some weight

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Nothin' wrong with XSR suspension Jeepers if you tune it to your weight-unless of course you are a fatty in which case you will need to buy some bits,or lose some weight
    I wonder why do a large number of owners around the world have complained about the spring rate being too soft. They must all be fatties I suppose. So what's a fatty in this case? Any rider above 80 kgs, 'cause that's what the factory suspension was set-up for.

Oh, and lets not count the rider gear or the stuff in the bags at all. If you do, chances are the rider will need to be 50kgs to be ideal. Hmmm, when was I 50kgs (being 185cms, can't remember).

Suspension on MT07 and XSR700 was revised in 2018 for the American market because you can't find a 50kg American. Preload adjustment does not fix spring rate deficiencies. If you have to change suspension on a brand new bike to enjoy, then factory suspension is not fit for purpose (i.e. rubbish).

This is all IMHO and YEMV.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

You and I are not exactly heavy weights BK.

I guess the logistics of springing bikes for specific markets would be a PITA and customers below or above the "average" would still moan.

I am surprised that the T7 is not sprung for an 80kg rider and luggage..

Yamaha may expect that most T7's will only be going to Starbucks.

Any hoo, at the price point it is, loads of room and a bit of cash available for personalising compared to the competition.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I had a MT09 2019 in bits on the weekend. I can say there is plenty wrong with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I wonder why do a large number of owners around the world have complained about the spring rate being too soft. They must all be fatties I suppose. So what's a fatty in this case? Any rider above 80 kgs, 'cause that's what the factory suspension was set-up for.

Oh, and lets not count the rider gear or the stuff in the bags at all. If you do, chances are the rider will need to be 50kgs to be ideal. Hmmm, when was I 50kgs (being 185cms, can't remember).

Suspension on MT07 and XSR700 was revised in 2018 for the American market because you can't find a 50kg American. Preload adjustment does not fix spring rate deficiencies. If you have to change suspension on a brand new bike to enjoy, then factory suspension is not fit for purpose (i.e. rubbish).

This is all IMHO and YEMV.
    Different bike but at a time I was very keen on a new Tracer. I found the back end really soft but was putting it down to it being the demo bike and not set up for me. The salesman was away when I got back so I spoke to the main mechanic at the dealership about the bike. He looked at me and said I would probably need an aftermarket shock straight away. (1.96m tall and 115kgs)Yamaha make them soft he explained and with the shocks proximity to the exhaust system the oil in the shock got a lot of extra stick. The suspension would be worked overly hard from the get go. I thought that was disappointing on a brand new $18k bike. Made me wonder what else wasn’t up to scratch and didn’t pursue the bike. Interesting to see the same point of weakness appearing in this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I had a MT09 2019 in bits on the weekend. I can say there is plenty wrong with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do tell.
    I;m looking at the MT09 or XSR900 at the moment. Havn't ridden either yet.
    (like triples)

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Do tell.
    I;m looking at the MT09 or XSR900 at the moment. Havn't ridden either yet.
    (like triples)
    Have seen a few of them ridden pretty hard off road in the last few weeks, and the consensus it that the suspension, and especially the front is too soft and needs work. Par for course for most dualsport bikes in my experience.

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket

Test ride yesterday :D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2605 copy.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	344698Very nice bike. No frills but competent for what I'm likely to use it for. The 'new' Transalp 650
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Thread Information