Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Drink driving, driving while high and going over the speed limit are what is considered the main issues currently. Huge amount of man hours and resources are poured in to these three. Is it working? Many would say no when looking at the statistics.
    Not too many I hope. The road toll is half what it used to be. The government's 'behaviour modification' programme was effective.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    I seriously question the comments about nz roads not being very good. They are fine. What do you want? Straight roads with cops everywhere?
    The road is just a long grey surface that we ride on. The roads are not to blame.
    Yeah I was surprised to see the comment about South Island roads not being very good. In my experience they're generally better than North Island roads.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Seems to be the usual generalization that some NZ roads are bad therefore all NZ roads are bad. This is complete and utter bull shit. Even gravel roads seem to be kept in reasonable condition. When freshly graded though they can be a PITA but one should drive/ride at a suitable pace so an incident doesn't occur. In other words drive/ride to the conditions......

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yeah I was surprised to see the comment about South Island roads not being very good. In my experience they're generally better than North Island roads.
    It's the coarse chip seal that's not liked (very hard on tires). Plus all those hills and winding roads over the mountains and West coast roads. It's just impossible to use cruise control ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Not too many I hope. The road toll is half what it used to be. The government's 'behaviour modification' programme was effective.
    Plus three or four times the amount of traffic on the road as well. Even a static road toll would show the policy is (sort of) working. But the usual quota of idiots driving ... don't seem to be influenced by any of Darwin's theories ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    ... but I can almost guarantee that some other rider will get bowled this week in the exact same type of crash but it won't be in the headlines for long if it is caused by Joe Commuter on his way to work and not Johnny Foreigner.
    the actual percentage of tourist drivers being Involved ... as opposed to being "At fault" is actually very low. Low single figures actually. The actual scourge on NZ roads are New Zealander's born and bred (likely some inbreeding though).

Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Right, stolen bikes ...
    They used to make up a large portion of the motorcycle single vehicle accident stat's ...

Bike
    '69 K0, '71 Stinger, '73 Z1, '74 AC50
    I've done quite a few 4-day tours of South Island (East Coast, West Coast and cover the whole Island) with the group I'm in. We always go in early November and for some reason the roads are uncluttered at that time and we hardly see any campervans. At least, that's MY impression. Another observation (I live in Christchurch) is that there is a certain category of overseas visitor driving here that are completely out of their depth behind the wheel. Another observation is that you could call me a racist but that's just a standard liberal starting point in any conversation like this and completely untrue so just don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It's the coarse chip seal that's not liked (very hard on tires). Plus all those hills and winding roads over the mountains and West coast roads. It's just impossible to use cruise control ...
    True, good tyres are a must at the start of a SI tour.

The Lewis Pass and SH6 are magic, but there is magic in the NI too: East Cape and the Waioeka Gorge f'rinstance, but the state of the those roads can't be compared to South Island roads. I never saw anything in the SI to compare to the state of the Gentle Annie, Hastings to Taihape. Once when I rode that the surface was so broken up in places it appeared as if there had been a major earthquake. If there had actually been an earthquake they're forgiven.

Not much scope for cruise control on any of those either.

Funny thing though, the excuse given for the roads around East Cape is that there's a lot of road and only a small population to pay for upkeep. I'd have thought that situation would have applied to an even greater extent in the South Island?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    True, good tyres are a must at the start of a SI tour.

The Lewis Pass and SH6 are magic, but there is magic in the NI too: East Cape and the Waioeka Gorge f'rinstance, but the state of the those roads can't be compared to South Island roads. I never saw anything in the SI to compare to the state of the Gentle Annie, Hastings to Taihape. Once when I rode that the surface was so broken up in places it appeared as if there had been a major earthquake. If there had actually been an earthquake they're forgiven.

Not much scope for cruise control on any of those either.

Funny thing though, the excuse given for the roads around East Cape is that there's a lot of road and only a small population to pay for upkeep. I'd have thought that situation would have applied to an even greater extent in the South Island?
    The coarse chip seal is good, even in/after heavy rain which NZ alpine and (west coast) coastal areas are renown for. It beats asphalt hands down in similar weather anywhere.

The Lewis got beaten up quite a bit post Kaikoura quake's ... and although the east coast highway one reopened ... the Lewis needs a lot of work to be done to it in quite a few places. The heavy class trucks were (and still) allowed to use it, even though it wasn't up to that grade to take the weights and sheer volume of traffic. If you want magic ... do the Buller Gorge full length (either direction) at night ... with a full moon ... and with about 10 or more other riders. You'll remember it forever.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toycollector10 View Post
    ... Another observation (I live in Christchurch) is that there is a certain category of overseas visitor driving here that are completely out of their depth behind the wheel. Another observation is that you could call me a racist but that's just a standard liberal starting point in any conversation like this and completely untrue so just don't.
    The terrain in NZ varies so much in short distances, it is totally different to BIG (as in HUGE) city driving conditions ... or multi-lane motorway style roads many of our visitors are used to. Many from large cities have never driven over 80 km/hr EVER. It's not their fault ... if fault is to be apportioned ... but they are here ... driving (for want of a more suitable word) on our roads. AND ... spending money.

I wonder how most (expert) kiwi drivers would handle navigating through Tokyo or LA on their motorway systems ... ???

As an aside ... the use of cell phones (for ANY purpose) is Illegal. Yet .. Dash mounted GPS systems (visible to the driver and able to be operated or adjusted by the driver) is perfectly legal. And is fitted to most rental vehicles as a (legal) on request option.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Seems to be the usual generalization that some NZ roads are bad therefore all NZ roads are bad. This is complete and utter bull shit. Even gravel roads seem to be kept in reasonable condition. When freshly graded though they can be a PITA but one should drive/ride at a suitable pace so an incident doesn't occur. In other words drive/ride to the conditions......
    I've been through Danseys Pass (in a ute) before the grader ... Naseby to Duntroon took one and a half hours. Another time (in the same ute) not long after it was graded ... two and a quarter hours.

Ride/Drive to the actual conditions of a road ... not how you last remembered that piece of road was. It may have changed a bit.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    I agree with that...found Southern roads - in particular highways...superior to North Island. Also less traffic on a lot of them.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Followed 2 large rental camper vans off the big single lane bridge at Kaeo today. There is a long straight ahead of you as you come off, the front van moved into the RH lane and the rear one moved into the left. There was an oncoming car just appearing at the end of the straight. I overtook the camper in front of me and sat in the front guys mirror flashing my lights until he moved to the left. He was vigorously facepalming himself as I went past! Lols! Bet he felt stupid!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Followed 2 large rental camper vans off the big single lane bridge at Kaeo today. There is a long straight ahead of you as you come off, the front van moved into the RH lane and the rear one moved into the left. There was an oncoming car just appearing at the end of the straight. I overtook the camper in front of me and sat in the front guys mirror flashing my lights until he moved to the left. He was vigorously facepalming himself as I went past! Lols! Bet he felt stupid!
    It happens. I did the wrong side trick on my first encounter on USA roads in 2016 in San Francisco city. Came ou tof city OK..fully focused on RIGHT side RIGHT side....till we reached the freeway onramp interection - lights controlled. Went over to LHS until oncoming woke me up and wife screamed. Braked; reversed, went right. Never went worng again.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    It happens. I did the wrong side trick on my first encounter on USA roads in 2016 in San Francisco city. Came ou tof city OK..fully focused on RIGHT side RIGHT side....till we reached the freeway onramp interection - lights controlled. Went over to LHS until oncoming woke me up and wife screamed. Braked; reversed, went right. Never went worng again.
    Seems you only need to do it once - I was in Atlanta, turned left into the oncoming traffic. Turned hard left again into a MacDonalds carpark. Blew a tyre going over the kerb but was preferable to clogging up truck radiator. Anyway, rental car, Hertz just gave me another car. (first one was nice Buick LeSabre with about 30 miles on the clock, second one a was a Ford thing)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information