Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    ... If you turn up in NZ with an overseas driving license and you rent a vehicle you will need to buy an insurance that will provide funds for a family that lost a loved one or he/she ended up in hospital as result of your driving.
    Google ACC. That's what it is there for. The only insurance they require is for the rental. As it should be. Less than 3% of fatal's on NZ roads involve overseas visitors. The other 97% are New Zealander's ... The REAL killers on New Zealand roads. Time to toughen up on THEM ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    I agree with that...found Southern roads - in particular highways...superior to North Island. Also less traffic on a lot of them.
    I haven't found a reason to test that theory. I haven't ridden north of the ditch since the 21st Cold Kiwi ... roads are roads ... and I've ridden most of them.

Every spin of the wheels is another 6 feet closer to wherever I'm going ...

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I wonder how most (expert) kiwi drivers would handle navigating through Tokyo or LA on their motorway systems ... ???
    I've driven in Nagoya and LA, and at first it can be almost overwhelming. It didn't take very long to get to grips for me though, I don't consider myself an 'expert' driver but one that does try to constantly remain aware of everything around me (thanks dad for making me do Defensive Driving back in '90 when I got my license as know it all 15yr old). But without local knowledge it is very easy to end up in the incorrect lane at intersections etc and cause a spot of bother.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I've driven in Nagoya and LA, and at first it can be almost overwhelming. It didn't take very long to get to grips for me though, I don't consider myself an 'expert' driver but one that does try to constantly remain aware of everything around me (thanks dad for making me do Defensive Driving back in '90 when I got my license as know it all 15yr old). But without local knowledge it is very easy to end up in the incorrect lane at intersections etc and cause a spot of bother.
    Whilst in the NZ Army I got a 2 year posting to Singapore. I was an army driver by trade ... so almost a sense of dread seeing the city for the first time. A lot different to Christchurch rush hours ...

It didn't take long before it was normal and no issues ... (not so for my parents when they visited)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Google ACC. That's what it is there for. The only insurance they require is for the rental. As it should be. Less than 3% of fatal's on NZ roads involve overseas visitors. The other 97% are New Zealander's ... The REAL killers on New Zealand roads. Time to toughen up on THEM ...
    I've been banging that drum for several years. It's just easier to blame tourists than to change ourselves.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I've been banging that drum for several years. It's just easier to blame tourists than to change ourselves.
    i did a couple of thousand ks around Central Otago, Waitaki Valley, Dn to ChCh over xmas ALL the bad driving i saw was tourists of a certain ethnicity driving white Toyota Corolla's/white Toyota Highlander's its easy to blame them because they drive badly and stand out

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i did a couple of thousand ks around Central Otago, Waitaki Valley, Dn to ChCh over xmas ALL the bad driving i saw was tourists of a certain ethnicity driving white Toyota Corolla's/white Toyota Highlander's its easy to blame them because they drive badly and stand out
    Certainly there are areas of NZ and times of the year when tourists are a greater proportion of the driving population.

But it doesn't take much googling to see that the vast majority of our DSI (deaths and serious injuries) are caused by people who live here.

The campaign against tourists drivers is a classic case of projection, where we project blame for something onto an identifiable third party.

It's normal to do that. Trouble is, when we do that, we also lose the ability to solve the problem.

For example, when I blame my brakes for having locked the front wheel, I'm saying that there isn't anything I can do about it, as it wasn't my fault.

The psychology of cultural behaviour is fascinating.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    The white Toyota Highlander is a red flag to me when driving or riding.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    In which areas are these fatal crashes happening? Surely it would be more cost effective to target the areas where most of the incidents occure.

For example there'd be less likely a chance of an incident on the Takapua Planes as opposed to the Auckland motorway.

People keep saying the number of incidents has reduced from former years but is that actually true? Often a percentage given. If the amount of driver/riders on our roads has increased the same amount of crashes in the past with less traffic will be a greater percentage than the same amount of crashes with a substantually greater amount of road user.

Anyway I'm off for a ride.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Certainly there are areas of NZ and times of the year when tourists are a greater proportion of the driving population.

But it doesn't take much googling to see that the vast majority of our DSI (deaths and serious injuries) are caused by people who live here.

The campaign against tourists drivers is a classic case of projection, where we project blame for something onto an identifiable third party.

It's normal to do that. Trouble is, when we do that, we also lose the ability to solve the problem.

For example, when I blame my brakes for having locked the front wheel, I'm saying that there isn't anything I can do about it, as it wasn't my fault.

The psychology of cultural behaviour is fascinating.
    I'm not disagreeing with the statement of 'Those who are pure shall cast the first stone', however there is also a statement that when compared to the regular population, Tourists (per capita) are over-represented in Crashes.

Both statements are correct (to a point) and both represent valid problems that need solutions.

The tourist one I feel is partly due to once out of any major city, the only option to get around NZ is to drive, there's no Trains, no real public transport etc. which forces people who would likely not drive, to drive.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Anyway I'm off for a ride.
    I tried to find a way to argue with this, but I've given up.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I tried to find a way to argue with this, but I've given up.
    Nice wee tooddle. Nice thing about Palmy is it's less than 10 minutes ride to some premium back roads with bugger all traffic.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Nice thing about Palmy........
    Okay, so there is something good about it.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Okay, so there is something good about it.
    Now cut that out you you blinken troll or I will cry

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Now cut that out you you blinken troll or I will cry
    Kinda feel like that's my first ever troll. Apart from the troll bikes and troll cars I've used.

Thread Information