Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Kinda feel like that's my first ever troll. Apart from the troll bikes and troll cars I've used.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with the statement of 'Those who are pure shall cast the first stone', however there is also a statement that when compared to the regular population, Tourists (per capita) are over-represented in Crashes.

Both statements are correct (to a point) and both represent valid problems that need solutions.

The tourist one I feel is partly due to once out of any major city, the only option to get around NZ is to drive, there's no Trains, no real public transport etc. which forces people who would likely not drive, to drive.
    My belief is town drivers struggle in country conditions. Have seen it many times.

We for the most part cant change what tourists do. But we can change what we do.

Get some training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    My belief is town drivers struggle in country conditions. Have seen it many times.

We for the most part cant change what tourists do. But we can change what we do.

Get some training.
    I don't disagree with most of that.

The flipside is also true - Country drivers struggle with Motorway conditions. I think the fairest statement is to say that All Drivers struggle in unfamiliar conditions.

The only thing I take (slight) umbrage with is that we can't change what tourists do.

I think the crux of frustration from certain sectors is that:

1: We haven't really tried to change what tourists do and so don't know if we can or not.
    2: There's an unwillingness to discuss honestly the problem of Tourist drivers.

As an example of the latter - Rastus (quite rightly) points out that 90% of Accidents are home-grown with no Tourists required, however this is an appeal to the bigger problems fallacy (of sorts), He's not wrong in his statement and since there's a question of effort vs reward, focusing all your effort on 90% of the problem is absolutely a pragmatic way to go. The frustration I think is that people see that and reason 'What if we spent 10% of effort on the 10% of the problem' - with various solutions ranging from the impractical to the borderline discriminatory.

TL;DR - Both sides of this discussion have big kernels of truth in them, but whilst we treat the problem as an either/or - the other side is going to get louder and louder from being ignored.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    No, not "fair enough too". Their job should be to build good roads that can withstand abuse from drivers and that reduce the chance of an accident happening. But from what I have seen this might not be the case. I wonder if there is ever an inspection of the new road/the upgrade/the repair by the buyer (The government, and as they represent us that is actually us who are the customer...) and they get their fingers smacked for poor workmanship and are told to do it again??
    it would appear that the more expensive the project/road, the less likely such an inspection is to happen. I present to the court the Kapiti Expressway. I think it was open about 8 or 9 weeks when they started ripping it up. 3 years later its still a traffic cone festival.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I've been banging that drum for several years. It's just easier to blame tourists than to change ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i did a couple of thousand ks around Central Otago, Waitaki Valley, Dn to ChCh over xmas ALL the bad driving i saw was tourists of a certain ethnicity driving white Toyota Corolla's/white Toyota Highlander's its easy to blame them because they drive badly and stand out
    Are you familiar with confirmation bias?

I see lots is asians drive like cunts.

lots of cops who dont have a fuckin clue how to correctly indicate at roundabouts

loads on white women who struggle with basic give way rules

middle class blokes in their rangers / BMWs etc who forget what an indicator does.

The ones that stick in our mind are the ones that meet whatever prejudice we are predisposed to.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    it would appear that the more expensive the project/road, the less likely such an inspection is to happen. I present to the court the Kapiti Expressway. I think it was open about 8 or 9 weeks when they started ripping it up. 3 years later its still a traffic cone festival.
    I'll avoid it for a few more years then ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

lots of cops who dont have a fuckin clue how to correctly indicate at roundabouts

middle class blokes in their rangers / BMWs etc who forget what an indicator does.

The ones that stick in our mind are the ones that meet whatever prejudice we are predisposed to.
    Yes, confirmation bias grips us all. Including those who only notice the middle class blokes in their rangers / BMWs etc who forget what an indicator does., but who doesn't notice the other 75% of people who do exactly the same thing.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Just come home after a few days driving north. Must say the truckies were brilliant everywhere we went ,moving over and letting people thru .
    Campervans ..... not so much, slow, 70/80 and 90kph ! they weren't moving over and were quite happy to hold up lines of traffic!
    Of course passing lanes are getting fewer and fewer these days.
    Makes driving less enjoyable and using cruise control a pain in the arse when trying to maintain road speed.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Just come home after a few days driving north. Must say the truckies were brilliant everywhere we went ,moving over and letting people thru .
    Campervans ..... not so much, slow, 70/80 and 90kph ! they weren't moving over and were quite happy to hold up lines of traffic!
    Of course passing lanes are getting fewer and fewer these days.
    Makes driving less enjoyable and using cruise control a pain in the arse when trying to maintain road speed.
    Passing lanes have increased on main routes in our part of the woods plus the Wairapa and Central Hawkes Bay. Yeah generally truckies are pretty good at pulling left ,when they can, if they see a motorcycle healamp in their mirrors. I generally give them a wave or toot of appriciation when I pass them. Actually recently, I've had 6 years off riding, I've found most motorist do. Of course there is the odd prick who takes all the road. Also noticed the general traffic on the open road is slower all around. Staying around that 100-105kph mark. The ones that travel a 'bit" above the speed limit are handy opportunity to lock in behind at about 100 yards and follow their example. Also my spidey sences have been honed to detect orange police cars. No radar detector required. A lone van, with blacked out windows. out in the middle of knowwhere is useally a camera van.

Common sence goes a long way for safe driving/riding.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Passing lanes have increased on main routes in our part of the woods plus the Wairapa and Central Hawkes Bay. Yeah generally truckies are pretty good at pulling left ,when they can, if the see a motorcycle healamp in their mirrors. I generally give them a wave of appriciation when I pass them. Actually recently, I've had 6 years off riding, I've found most motorist do. Of course there is the odd prick who takes all the road. Also noticed the general traffic on the open road is slower all around. Staying around that 100-105kph mark. The ones that travel a 'bit" above the speed limit are handy oppertunaty to lock in behind at about 100 yards and follow their example. Also my spidey sences have been honed to detect orange police cars. No radar detector required. A lone van, with blacked out windows. out in the middle of knowwhere is useally a camera van.
    We were in our Falcooon and yes always have the Radar safety device operating ! On the bike I have no problems whatsoever ! I just blow by any chicanes.
    (I don't follow anyone on the bike if I can help it.)
    Of course when travelling with the War Department I have a built in restrictor anyway!!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    We were in our Falcooon and yes always have the Radar safety device operating ! On the bike I have no problems whatsoever ! I just blow by any chicanes.
    (I don't follow anyone on the bike if I can help it.)
    Of course when travelling with the War Department I have a built in restrictor anyway!!!
    I'll repeat for those that missed it. Common sence goes a long way for safe driving/riding.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I'll repeat for those that missed it. Common sence goes a long way for safe driving/riding.
    It,ll never catch on.

Bike
    raptor 1000

see how many white rental cars make it to the news following a fatal

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

The thing about prejudice is ... it is also about hate. If you start hating on the road ... the anger there corrupts your thinking. if you get angry ... then your rational thinking is gone. Stupid ideas can seem like a good idea ... road rage does that.

After years of being paid to drive on the roads ... I pretty much take things as they come. Being paid by the hour ... I was seldom in a rush. Major issues ring plod. Minor issues just back off ... or pass if that wont actually be an issue in itself.

The driving reg's say take regular breaks ... and I did. That lets issues get well ahead ... or ... you get ahead of the issue.

I've never had any drive ruined by a good cup of coffee. Or any ride for that matter.

I have been late though. But I was still alive ... and well paid ..

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It,ll never catch on.
    It's incorrectly named ... Common sense isn't that common at all ...

Thread Information