Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    It's incorrectly named ... Common sense isn't that common at all ...
    Unfortunately not. Courtesy(I'll skip the common this time) goes a long way too. Especially around town.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    And sense is a rare commodity

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    see how many white rental cars make it to the news following a fatal
    Must be a Southern thing.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    What would putting her in jail for a month achieve?
    Nothing.

A ten year plus mandatory sentence would send a ripple through the tourist ranks and MAYBE get them to sharpen up their driving style.

Well maybe not....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Google ACC. That's what it is there for. The only insurance they require is for the rental. As it should be. Less than 3% of fatal's on NZ roads involve overseas visitors. The other 97% are New Zealander's ... The REAL killers on New Zealand roads. Time to toughen up on THEM ...
    "If you want to kill somebody with minimal sentence in NZ - do it on our roads" So I was told at a training day.

And sadly it's right
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    Is part of the problem with tourists that they are here for recreation therefore their mindset while driving is the same?
    Same with motorcyclists? most are using the road for recreational needs, so not taking the roads as seriously as they should?

Not relating this to the specific Moeraki incident as the discussion has moved on from that now.
    thats the problem with a good percentage of the drivers on the road ..they arent "engaged".Its an interlude between work and home,or home and the picnice or...between text message.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    That's the lovely thing about numbers. You can use them any way you want.

I like these ones. Most crashes in NZ are caused by locals. Most are caused by Mr and Mrs Average.

Who caused them doesn't mean much, as cause is established post-crash. I want to anticipate crashes, so I can avoid having them.

Prevention is better than cure.
    you are much more likely to anticipate having a crash your self if you know hat caused the last one

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you are much more likely to anticipate having a crash your self if you know hat caused the last one
    What caused the last one ??? If all crashes are caused by the same thing ... life would be so much more predictable.

The issue of concern is not what the issue is ... but who caused the issue that started things turning to shit.

I often find when the person that say's "It wasn't MY fault" the loudest ... it usually IS ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    What caused the last one ??? If all crashes are caused by the same thing ... life would be so much more predictable.

The issue of concern is not what the issue is ... but who caused the issue that started things turning to shit.
    And that can be be quite a number of things including bull shit. Came across a small herd of young bullocks on the road on yesterdays wee jaunt.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    And that can be be quite a number of things including bull shit. Came across a small herd of young bullocks on the road on yesterdays wee jaunt.
    Most of the best motorcycling roads in NZ are in rural areas (funny that). At some stage you will find stock (Wild and domesticated) of all shapes and sizes on or very near the road. Expect it and look out for it. I've had a few near misses and a few hits ... the pucker effect only works so much. ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Nothing.

A ten year plus mandatory sentence would send a ripple through the tourist ranks and MAYBE get them to sharpen up their driving style.

Well maybe not....
    The proverbial phrase ... "It wont happen to me" is multi lingual ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Most of the best motorcycling roads in NZ are in rural areas (funny that). At some stage you will find stock (Wild and domesticated) of all shapes and sizes on or very near the road. Expect it and look out for it. I've had a few near misses and a few hits ... the pucker effect only works so much. ...
    Indeed. Came across sheep beong herded as well yesterday, Just pulled right on to the grass verge and quietly toodled past them. Graeme the guy from Nelson I met yesterday in Havelock North said NZ is great for motorcycling except for the Canturbary Plains which are boring as hell.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Indeed. Came across sheep beong herded as well yesterday, Just pulled right on to the grass verge and quietly toodled past them. Graeme the guy from Nelson I met yesterday in Havelock North said NZ is great for motorcycling except for the Canturbary Plains which are boring as hell.
    I've always gone to great trouble to avoid the Canterbury Plains. If time allows ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Read somewhere that drivers who have had a particular type of accident are statistically more likely to have another similar accident. They think they are good drivers, see no need to improve, so their faults persist.

I guess our job is to keep out of their way?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I was on a group ride around Coromandel at the weekend, and was very impressed with how many tourists (late models Corollas etc.) pulled off when they could to let us pass. Not a single ute did the same.

I was very careful riding past lookouts.

Thread Information