Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I agree that the discussion needs to be focused around driving ability for the conditions. I can even say that there is a difference between a predominantly urban short commute driver and rural longer distance driver. They have different habits built on different threats and experiences.

I'm not interested in racial or jurisdiction of license concern as such. It's purely about the ability, and how do we check it and improve it. Or control it. For argument sake, people with overseas licenses not be allowed to drive between dusk or dawn. Perhaps controversial, just a thought to start.
    The conventions New Zealand is a signatory to, prevents any change to drivers license restrictions for some countries … without risk of similar retaliatory restrictions placed on Kiwi drivers in those same countries. But in reality … I won't be driving in China anytime soon ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    As I understood … the accident this thread is about was caused by a Swiss driver as I recall … 100 % … ???
    See, I knew you would be picky. She was Austrian and the crash was in 2020, so not the last full five year period.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    The conventions New Zealand is a signatory to, prevents any change to drivers license restrictions for some countries … without risk of similar retaliatory restrictions placed on Kiwi drivers in those same countries. But in reality … I won't be driving in China anytime soon ...
    I understand the situation with conventions, and sadly retaliation is more harmful to our rights to drive overseas. We have more to lose unfortunately.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    C;mon we can't discriminate central europeans just call them earthling drivers. Aliens is too racist.

Bike
    It was on the good
    For argument sake, people with overseas licenses not be allowed to drive between dusk or dawn. Perhaps controversial, just a thought to start.
    To help the argument, across the country as a whole between 2015 and 2019 26 percent of all injury crashes occurred at night. The proportion of crashes involving overseas drivers that occurred at night was 18 percent. You can muck around with crash stats to prove anything. Talking generally about visitor drivers, they crash for the same reasons we do. They are an issue due to the sheer number of them on the road in certain places but the fact they are from overseas is often irrelevant to the crash. There is a specific code used where it might be factor and that was used in less than one quarter of the crashes they were involved in. The code gets way over used though, often for crashes where it was clearly not a factor, like a campervan being blown over in high winds.

Rental agencies could ban their vehicles from certain roads like they used to do. The Milford Road would be a good one, and force them all on to organised tours.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I understand the situation with conventions, and sadly retaliation is more harmful to our rights to drive overseas. We have more to lose unfortunately.
    We in New Zealand have more to worry about while riding/driving on our roads than a few shitty drivers from various parts of the globe.

Cell phone use whilst driving is commonplace … not just a few. A recent "checkpoint" in Dunedin caught many in a short space of time. And that is in a 50 km/hr zone. What's it really like outside the city limits .. ??

Attitudes to our "Right of way" needs to change, 5 seconds of travel at 100 km/hr (plus ??) will take you a good distance … with YOUR right of way (in law) but … will you get it ?? Can you spare the extra time … just in case ??? The "ME first" attitude needs to change … regardless of how urgent your believe your drive/ride is … if in doubt give way. Your life depends on it. And yes I know it IS irritating to give way to assholes that really don't give a fuck … and are not entitled to it .. but you might live a little longer. I believe in Karma … they will get theirs's … eventually (I hope soon).

I can't help wondering about the rider involved in the crash this thread instigated. He was known to have stopped at his uncles place not long before .. and
    I do know that the dangerous part of every ride is just after a start and nearing the end of a ride. Your mind is thing about all sorts of things … at the time you have more important things to concentrate on. Like EVERYTHING 100 meters ahead of you. The Moeraki township intersection was 5 seconds away after coming into view traveling south on highway one.

I had a good look at the road surface at that intersection … and one thing was missing. Can anybody guess what that was ??

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    … Rental agencies could ban their vehicles from certain roads like they used to do. The Milford Road would be a good one, and force them all on to organised tours.
    The Milford road in itself is not an issue … just the normal volume of traffic is way beyond "Normal" on any other road. Plus … if it's not raining … it will soon, probably on the way out. Most visitors to Milford are doing (usually) Queenstown - Milford - Queenstown. With a boat trip as well.

A Long day. On a difficult (challenging) road. And about a 12 hour return journey from Queenstown.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I had a good look at the road surface at that intersection … and one thing was missing. Can anybody guess what that was ??
    Nothing relevant to the specific crash.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Nothing relevant to the specific crash.
    There were no skid marks. Police road marking impact point paint spots though.

Not relevant … ??

Bike
    It was on the good
    Not really, simply indicates that a big heavy bike didn't lock its wheels up.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    There were no skid marks. Police road marking impact point paint spots though.

Not relevant … ??
    obviously the guy on the bike was at fault, probably texting, didnt even see her pull straight in front of him

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by berries View Post
    not really, simply indicates that a big heavy bike didn't lock its wheels up.
    abs??.......

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I agree that the discussion needs to be focused around driving ability for the conditions. I can even say that there is a difference between a predominantly urban short commute driver and rural longer distance driver. They have different habits built on different threats and experiences.

I'm not interested in racial or jurisdiction of license concern as such. It's purely about the ability, and how do we check it and improve it. Or control it. For argument sake, people with overseas licenses not be allowed to drive between dusk or dawn. Perhaps controversial, just a thought to start.
    It should be purely about Ability, however there seems a strong causal connection between the Jurisdiction of Licenses and Ability, both in the Positive dimension and the negative.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    raptor 1000
    we homestayed a chinese highschool girl a few years back her chinese boyfriend went home for a week and came back with a drivers licence, bought a car from another student and was driving about, he had never driven before, didnt have a clue about our road rules, we informed the school, not long after she moved out to another homestay, fake licences are easy to get in china

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Just back from a tramping holiday in the Wanaka area and rented a car. The manager of the rental car company (Adventure Rentals) gets potential renters to complete a relatively simple road code questionnaire. She also asks (some?) drivers to drive around the block with her before she gives them the keys.
    In some cases, this encourages less competent people to leave without renting a vehicle. Whether they go somewhere else or decide to take the bus I don't know.
    These seem to be simple steps that all rental companies should adopt.

Thread Information