Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Having just today finished our 2500km, 8 day North Island tour - Palmy up to Cape Reinga return.....I can say the most frequent "worry" for us (missus was pilion)..was people tailgating while we were moving through unfamiliar "rough" twisties. Navigating fractured and pot-holed third-world roads. The fully loaded up Bonnie T120 with a pillion is far from the ideal touring and twisties bike anyhow....but I had to back off the button a bit to keep the bike in a stable line. Not to mention the missus getting spine-jarring crashes from the rear as we hit an unseen crater. We were still doing on the speed limit give or take 5kph...but some bastard Steve, Bazza or Nigel was determined to push us out of the way from behind in their SUV, Ute or Skyline...all these would be Kiwis. They can happily hold their cage on a level 110-120kph and ride over the shit holes with no fear. I opted to just slow a bit, move left and wave them past. Some of them appeared further up the line..just a few cars ahead...stuck at a road works stoppage.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yeah, the roads up north are something else. I'd probably buy a GS if I lived north of Whangarei.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    ..but some bastard Steve, Bazza or Nigel was determined to push us out of the way from behind in their SUV, Ute or Skyline...all these would be Kiwis. They can happily hold their cage on a level 110-120kph and ride over the shit holes with no fear. I opted to just slow a bit, move left and wave them past.
    hey... we all know the round eye kiwi is often a shocking driver, tailgating, speeding, driving drunk.. all habits of old, shit im probably one. but tailgating dosent kill like pulling across in front of on coming traffic, or stopping on blind bends to take bloody selfies, and once again has nothing to do with this thread...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    hey... we all know the round eye kiwi is often a shocking driver, tailgating, speeding, driving drunk.. all habits of old, shit im probably one. but tailgating dosent kill like pulling across in front of on coming traffic, or stopping on blind bends to take bloody selfies, and once again has nothing to do with this thread...
    Tail gaters can force riders to do stupid things they wouldn't botherwise do. Especially inexperienced riders.

Then you get your fuck wit rider tail gater. I just tap the breaks in the puddle jumper a few times and that that usual wakes them up.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Having just today finished our 2500km, 8 day North Island tour - Palmy up to Cape Reinga return.....I can say the most frequent "worry" for us (missus was pilion)..was people tailgating while we were moving through unfamiliar "rough" twisties. Navigating fractured and pot-holed third-world roads.
    try riding around the tourist spots in the Sth Island

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Yeah, the roads up north are something else. I'd probably buy a GS if I lived north of Whangarei.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    SH1 is crap, but the rest are mint, and no-one is on them!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    try riding around the tourist spots in the Sth Island
    Done that. Done South Island top to tail several times. Quite an eye opener for sure. Best of the craziest was the Haast Pass - we went through last in Feb 2018 and it was not so bad - but previously in 2016 - we counted 8 cars (seemingly all small rentals) dumped in the roadside ditches. Some covered by police tape - some not. Wife's brother is an Invergiggle copper - he said it is common practice for the Asian tourists to bomb their cars there. They don't understand corners at all.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Done that. Done South Island top to tail several times. Quite an eye opener for sure. Best of the craziest was the Haast Pass - we went through last in Feb 2018 and it was not so bad - but previously in 2016 - we counted 8 cars (seemingly all small rentals) dumped in the roadside ditches. Some covered by police tape - some not. Wife's brother is an Invergiggle copper - he said it is common practice for the Asian tourists to bomb their cars there. They don't understand corners at all.
    and this is what im saying... show a video to the tourest in the classroom at the rental place before they depart, add some grusomness, scare them whit our roads reality...

honestly it cant hurt now can it???
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    and this is what im saying... show a video to the tourest in the classroom at the rental place before they depart, add some grusomness, scare them whit our roads reality...

honestly it cant hurt now can it???
    It'll do fuck all with all the shit available/they get exposed to in the news, movies and youtube.

Occupation Safety and Health semenars are designed to inform you. After you have been to a few it's mah. And I've been to a few in the last 30 years. Even tutored in a few.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    most drive in traffic in citys if they drive at all, here they have no idea how to handle a car at higher speed on the open road, i spent a month in china and the standard of driving over there is pretty bad their road toll is tremendous

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Ive noticed this alot all around the south island in the last few years , not only newer looking cars but older ones as well (im guessing ph use with the older.)

Bike
    It was on the good
    My last comment because the thread has been butchered with pages of rubbish. Some tourist drivers are shit. Most are no different to us, in fact many of them may be better than us. Like us though they make mistakes and on occasion those mistakes could be while driving. On occasion those mistakes could be while driving on holiday. So shit happens.

Another thread recently showed that right turn against crashes are by far the most common crash for a motorbike vs other vehicle. That is what happened at Moeraki. I doubt the driver being from overseas was a significant factor at all this time.

And contrary to another post in this thread, there are some crashes where shit just happens and training won't help. T junction on a rural road. You see a vehicle that is clearly going to cross your path. You slow down, you cover your brakes, position your bike better etc etc etc. At some point you go through a zone where there is no escape route if the driver has not seen you and decides to floor it and turn at speed. This is why those crashes are the most common. Yes, I suppose you could slow to a stop prior to the intersection. Assuming you don't become a bonnet ornament for the vehicle behind you doing 100km/h you'll never get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Ive noticed this alot all around the south island in the last few years , not only newer looking cars but older ones as well (im guessing ph use with the older.)
    They park them like that down in Milton. It's the meth.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    My last comment because the thread has been butchered with pages of rubbish. Some tourist drivers are shit. Most are no different to us, in fact many of them may be better than us. Like us though they make mistakes and on occasion those mistakes could be while driving. On occasion those mistakes could be while driving on holiday. So shit happens.

Another thread recently showed that right turn against crashes are by far the most common crash for a motorbike vs other vehicle. That is what happened at Moeraki. I doubt the driver being from overseas was a significant factor at all this time.

And contrary to another post in this thread, there are some crashes where shit just happens and training won't help. T junction on a rural road. You see a vehicle that is clearly going to cross your path. You slow down, you cover your brakes, position your bike better etc etc etc. At some point you go through a zone where there is no escape route if the driver has not seen you and decides to floor it and turn at speed. This is why those crashes are the most common. Yes, I suppose you could slow to a stop prior to the intersection. Assuming you don't become a bonnet ornament for the vehicle behind you doing 100km/h you'll never get anywhere.
    Another great post by Berries. I tip my hat sir.

Having been involve in a shit happens incident with car that Tboned me I know exactly what he means,

Some here seem to think teaching is the cover all bases solution when actual experance out on our, in places, rather crappy roads as well as the have to deal with crappy riders/drivers(domestic and overseas visitors)/cyclist/padestrians/stock etc.

I applaud riders like the young deaf lass new to riding I met last weekend. Out there in the pea gravel doing it instead of theorising in a class room or getting their knee down on the track.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    Another great post by Berries. I tip my hat sir.

Having been involve in a shit happens incident with car that Tboned me I know exactly what he means,

Some here seem to think teaching is the cover all bases solution when actual experance out on our, in places, rather crappy roads as well as the have to deal with crappy riders/drivers(domestic and overseas visitors)/cyclist/padestrians/stock etc.

I applaud riders like the young deaf lass new to riding I met last weekend. Out there in the pea gravel doing it instead of theorising in a class room or getting their knee down on the track.
    Clearly you don't understand training.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Clearly you don't understand training.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    i've been involved in training throughout my whole working carreer dickhead. Drafted safety manuals, practices a proprocedures for various feilds of operations, tutorials.
    Training only goes so far. There is no sub subtitute for exprience. Any good instructor will tell you that. In fact you'll most likely find if a student has been doing a certain task/operation for a while they'll know more than the instructor about that task/operation..

What is your claim to fame? You're just a keyboard worrier that knows didly sqat about training at all.

Thread Information