Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    This kind of stuff will keep on happening as long as we drive/ride on the roads.

Here some thoughts that might make a difference, then again... but fwiw here goes:

- If you turn up in NZ with an overseas driving license and you rent a vehicle you will need to buy an insurance that will provide funds for a family that lost a loved one or he/she ended up in hospital as result of your driving. If you bring the vehicle back and you have not had an accident that has caused an injury or death, or you have no fines based on your poor driving, you will get some money back from what you paid for the insurance.

- If you come from overseas with a non NZ license and someone lends you a car, the car lender needs to know that if the overseas visitor does not have the insurance (as above) the lender will also be held responsible for the accident.

- When you come to Kiwi Land you need to know that if you seriously injure or you kill someone with your driving and it was your fault, the minimum penalty is 3 years in jail. Only people who come from countries that have an agreement between NZ and their country that stipulates that if you, as result of your driving, end up in court and you get a jail sentence, you are able to complete this sentence in your home country, are allowed to drive in NZ.

- Only overseas drivers who can prove that they hold a clean driving record and they have held their overseas license for a minimum of 3 years can drive in NZ.

- If you have an incident where you kill someone in NZ, or you put them in hospital, you will NOT be able to return to NZ if this happened while you only held an overseas license.

Harsh? Yep. Doable? Yep. Will it happen. Nope.
    Cool. I take it you would introduce the same measures and penalties for NZ drivers seeing as they cause most of the crashes? Three year ban for any crash, compulsory insurance, three years jail for careless causing death etc?

Should start to make a dent in the road toll.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I personally think 3rd party insurance should be compulsory as part of the registration process. But then of course you have things like farmers vehicles such as 4 wheelers that aren't registered on roads frequented by the likes of myself who prefer to be off the main highways.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    This kind of stuff will keep on happening as long as we drive/ride on the roads.

Here some thoughts that might make a difference, then again... but fwiw here goes:

- If you turn up in NZ with an overseas driving license and you rent a vehicle you will need to buy an insurance that will provide funds for a family that lost a loved one or he/she ended up in hospital as result of your driving. If you bring the vehicle back and you have not had an accident that has caused an injury or death, or you have no fines based on your poor driving, you will get some money back from what you paid for the insurance.

- If you come from overseas with a non NZ license and someone lends you a car, the car lender needs to know that if the overseas visitor does not have the insurance (as above) the lender will also be held responsible for the accident.

- When you come to Kiwi Land you need to know that if you seriously injure or you kill someone with your driving and it was your fault, the minimum penalty is 3 years in jail. Only people who come from countries that have an agreement between NZ and their country that stipulates that if you, as result of your driving, end up in court and you get a jail sentence, you are able to complete this sentence in your home country, are allowed to drive in NZ.

- Only overseas drivers who can prove that they hold a clean driving record and they have held their overseas license for a minimum of 3 years can drive in NZ.

- If you have an incident where you kill someone in NZ, or you put them in hospital, you will NOT be able to return to NZ if this happened while you only held an overseas license.

Harsh? Yep. Doable? Yep. Will it happen. Nope.

Actually quite good ideas. Won't happen but valid.

So, now that you have a plan for 2% of our driving population, what of the 98% that are locals? Who cause 95% of the crashes.

Asking for a friend.

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

So, now that you have a plan for 2% of our driving population, what of the 98% that are locals? Who cause 95% of the crashes.

Asking for a friend.
    Rastus, your level headed comments are valued by people like myself who visit this site regularly, but rarely post on the forum ..... thanks.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Remember the Rainbow Warrior? Here's an analogy...

- When you come to Kiwi Land you need to know that if you seriously injure or you kill someone with your driving (bombing) and it was your fault, the minimum penalty is 3 years in jail. Only people who come from countries that have an agreement between NZ and their country that stipulates that if you, as result of your driving (bombing), end up in court and you get a jail sentence, you are able to complete this sentence in your home country or the Pacific Island of your choice, are allowed to drive (sink ships) in NZ.
    How well did that turn out. David Lange - NZ's most hypocritical PM.

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Is part of the problem with tourists that they are here for recreation therefore their mindset while driving is the same?
    Same with motorcyclists? most are using the road for recreational needs, so not taking the roads as seriously as they should?

Not relating this to the specific Moeraki incident as the discussion has moved on from that now.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Remember the Rainbow Warrior? Here's an analogy...

How well did that turn out. David Lange - NZ's most hypocritical PM.
    WTF does that have to do with the current discussion wrt road users? Move on or your hair will fall out.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbyhorse View Post
    Rastus, your level headed comments are valued by people like myself who visit this site regularly, but rarely post on the forum ..... thanks.
    Aww schucks.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    WTF does that have to do with the current discussion wrt road users? Move on or your hair will fall out.
    If you don't understand the word 'analogy', just say so.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    If you don't understand the word 'analogy', just say so.
    I had an allergy once. But Laava went to PD.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    To really dial in the nuance - both accidents I've had (fortunately minor) were caused by a third party, but even then - there were things I could (and should) have done proactively that would have avoided the crash.

One look at Youtube Go-Pro accident compilations - I've yet to see a single one where the accident didn't start a good 3-5 seconds before the rider noticed and started to take any evasive action, those seconds could have prevented the accident.

By that I mean (as an example) a Car started to pull out of an intersection (the start of the accident) but the rider only noticed and started evasive action when the car crossed into their path.

There are other things as well - bitter experience in Auckland taught me to be especially wary of large, late model luxury SUVs in white, driven by a particular demographic.

I think the TL;DR is that whilst the overwhelming majority of crashes are ones where there were action(s) that the rider could have taken to prevent or mitigate the accident, then people will continue to bang the 'Training' drum loudly for all to hear.

Should we ever reach a time and place where the majority of Crashes are through completely unavoidable scenarios, then the discussion will move in a different direction.
    Nailed it.

Only if some group could give you help on uow to see these threats starting to happen....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Cool. I take it you would introduce the same measures and penalties for NZ drivers seeing as they cause most of the crashes? Three year ban for any crash, compulsory insurance, three years jail for careless causing death etc?

That would make the biggest difference. I'll support if you push for it.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    Is part of the problem with tourists that they are here for recreation therefore their mindset while driving is the same?
    Same with motorcyclists? most are using the road for recreational needs, so not taking the roads as seriously as they should?

Not relating this to the specific Moeraki incident as the discussion has moved on from that now.
    There's still a lot of riders that think public roads are their very own private race track. One example a Busa that could'nt handle a 90 degree band bend when he and the following Kwaka 1100 rider promply ended up going through a farmers gate and going down. I' ve no sympathy at all.

Harley Furgason riders generally ride in heards, most likely to keep each other from falling off the road, and ard usually fairly harmless. But that cunt on the high capacity sprot bike who is wannabe GP racer is one to be carefull of.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Asking for a friend.
    The proportion of serious incidents caused by the number of visitors to NZ is much higher than for kiwis. I think the figure was something like the 2% of visitors on our roads cause 7% of serious injury/fatal crashes and a big proportion of them are through our summer period.

Regarding what to do with kiwi drivers that cause carnage. I thought you guys already had a plan for that? Is it not working??

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

Personally I would have no problem with that. But read my post properly: The 3 years of jail is only for death or serious/life altering injuries to the innocent party. In my view there is no reason for 3 years in jail for damaging a car while parking.

However this thread was not about how to fix NZ roads but about the carnage visitors to NZ cause.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Thread Information