Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    raptor 1000

Moeraki crash

i came across this not long after it happened, a campervan turned across the road in front of the motorcycle, he had nowhere to go, from what i saw the other car was stopped at the intersection.Lots of bikes on the road heading to the burt no excuse for not seeing the bike
    https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-...-moeraki-crash

Bike
    too many but never enough
    The tourist driver pled guilty to careless driving causing death. She wants a discharge without conviction as she is concerned about her career.
    Safe to say the victims career is fucked.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Agree, diversion or discharge without conviction should not be so readily available particularly when an accident involves a fatality.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Applications for discharge without conviction are common. Getting one is not.

Let's wait for the Judges decision ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Indian Scout
    This is why my annual riding group for the last 16 years around the South Island decided after this December's ride - we've had enough of the scary traffic, endless lines of tourists in campervans, mini vans full of cheap arsed freedom campers, all who have no ideal how to drive. They stop in the most stupid places to take selfies, pull out from anywhere anytime they please, swerve anywhere, make blind U-turns with total ignorance of their surroundings i.e. it's a road dipshit and roads have vehicles moving on them at speed.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Well, I must have been exceptionally lucky this summer. We usually stay in Auckland over Christmas and New Year, but due to some unusual circumstances I drove or rode a total of about 2500 km in Northland, Bay of Plenty and Otago / Southland.

I was very impressed by the driving which was much better than I've previously encountered during holiday periods.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Well, I must have been exceptionally lucky this summer. We usually stay in Auckland over Christmas and New Year, but due to some unusual circumstances I drove or rode a total of about 2500 km in Northland, Bay of Plenty and Otago / Southland.

I was very impressed by the driving which was much better than I've previously encountered during holiday periods.

tourist driving around the holiday hotspots is pretty abysmal, (yes i know some locals are bad as well) but generally you wont get locals toodling along at 70 ks weaving about the road with 30 cars stacked up behind them and nowhere to pass, from what i have seen the cops are quite happy with that but if you go 4 ks over look out

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Don't get me started on the 4k tolerance. Seems it's been applied to the fixed cameras and most people I know have come back from their holidays to at least one ticket for up to 10 km/h over.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    tourist driving around the holiday hotspots is pretty abysmal, (yes i know some locals are bad as well) but generally you wont get locals toodling along at 70 ks weaving about the road with 30 cars stacked up behind them and nowhere to pass,
    I used to love the trip to Queenstown from Dunedin. Still do on the bike because traffic queues = more overtaking = more fun. Unfortunately I have to go over there in a work truck occasionally and it is terrible. The only upside of this virus is the roads around there will be better with less Chinese on them.

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post

I just got back from a 4000k south island trip, and the traffic was fine. Obviously would have been worse in a car with less passing opportunties, but, hey the South Island is a tourist route afterall.
    I did get caught up in the moeraki snarl up and for some reason just knew that was a motorcycle crash so didn't filter to the front like some did.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by testastretta View Post
    The tourist driver pleaded guilty to careless driving causing death. She wants a discharge without conviction as she is concerned about her career.
    Safe to say the victims career is fucked.
    I wonder what the penalty for "careless driving causing death" is in Austria, her home country?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Applications for discharge without conviction are common. Getting one is not.

Let's wait for the Judges decision ...

Interesting read https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...ve-blowing-out
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Party violence and assault charges are lot less serious than killing anybody on the road.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Twowheeled
    What would putting her in jail for a month achieve?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Works both ways doesn't it. I imagine a New Zealand driver who did the same in Austria would find that their appointed Austrian defence lawyer would do their absolute best to get them the lightest sentence possible.

No sentence will bring the rider back, no sentence will penalise the driver any more than it already has and crucially no sentence will act as a deterrent to stop someone else doing exactly the same thing somewhere else next week. Sad as it seems this is the price we pay for whoring the country as a tourist destination but then having few transport choices for getting around.

I thought this was an interesting read, there must be hundreds of New Zealanders who have found themselves having close calls when driving overseas - https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queens...killed-someone

Thread Information