Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I could check as rastuscat can't be arsed but honestly, it is insignificant. Well, at least in New Zealand, Auckland might be a different matter.

With the ACC levy the way it is some people no longer pay rego. This does not increase their crash risk in the slightest. There are certainly a number of fuckwits out there on unregistered bikes that could never get a warrant but again, a minority.

Thanks. Even if the numbers might be small ,here as an example: if there is only 1% stolen bikes on the road but they contribute with 5% of the serious crashes then suddenly we are dealing with numbers that are worth considering. (Note that my numbers here are not factual, I just used these %'s to make a point)

Lets say that from 1,000 fully legal bikes with riders who stay inside speed limits and do not use alcohol/drugs, when they ride it is expected that one has a serious crash per year. That makes it 0.1% of these bikers.

If we then prove that from 10 stolen bikes one bike will have a serious crash this would mean that 10% of stolen bikes will crash badly. But if you do not separate these different categories you would just perhaps accept that 2 bikes out of 1010 has a serious crash making it just below 0.2%.

So why am I going down this track? Well, I do not accept that we should be OK with that the 2% of foreign drivers on our roads cause 7% of the serious accidents.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    It was on the good
    We are kind of straying off topic because in this crash I don't believe the fact that the driver was from overseas is a major factor. It was your basic SMIDSY. Yes, it will forever be one of the seven percent you quote but I can almost guarantee that some other rider will get bowled this week in the exact same type of crash but it won't be in the headlines for long if it is caused by Joe Commuter on his way to work and not Johnny Foreigner.

Right, stolen bikes. Believe it or not there used to be a specific code in the crash data for stolen vehicle but it was removed a few years ago. Looks like there is nothing now. It wasn't used that often, 45 times between 2000 and 2015 for crashes involving a motorbike (which wasn't necessarily at fault or the stolen vehicle). Not sure it will be of much use to you. That 45 is out of a total 13,753. That is all injury crashes. Serious crashes the number is 22 out of 5,619 so a similar proportion.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Accident rates should be based on distance travelled, not the percentage of drivers. I expect tourists drive further each day than the average resident driver, so you would expect them to be involved in more accidents.

Plus the deep south doesn't exactly have the safest roads in the country.

Off topic, but it was interesting to read the research reported in the Herald last week. That identified people staying on a learner's licence and reduced breath testing as the key factors in the increase in the road roll.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post

nothing wrong with the bit of road where this crash happened, same with the next turn off to the Boulders, there is a speed restriction and flashing lights triggered by someone leaving the Boulders area put in to slow traffic on SH1 because tourists were pulling out in front of cars heading south/north on SH1,,,,,,hasnt stopped tourists pulling out when they shouldnt though

Bike
    Twowheeled
    I seriously question the comments about nz roads not being very good. They are fine. What do you want? Straight roads with cops everywhere?
    The road is just a long grey surface that we ride on. The roads are not to blame.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    hasnt stopped tourists pulling out when they shouldnt though
    It won't. The idea is that if people follow the signs they will be going slower when that person does pull out giving them more time to react and a lower speed if they do collide. Only one crash since it went in so it has worked so far. It also triggers when someone is turning in to the boulders to try and stop those crashes as well.

Would probably be even better if instead of flashing 70 it flashed the words TOURIST.

Check out the second video on this page - https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-...cidents-filmed

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Nowt wrong with the roads. The 'dangerous' roads are the best ones to ride on.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    I seriously question the comments about nz roads not being very good. They are fine. What do you want? Straight roads with cops everywhere?
    The road is just a long grey surface that we ride on. The roads are not to blame.
    Exactly. Drive/ride to the conditions and that includes the state of the road.
    No amount of training can prepar you for all the situation you can come across whilst on the road.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    As a rider I tend to disagree with you. The surface of the NZ roads are often in poor condition. Holes, cracks, gravel, un-even surface, repaired road now with different type of surface, etc. Yes, we can adjust the speed and do courses to become better att judge the road conditions and what to do. If I was riding a 50cc scooter at 45K/h I would not worry too much. But when you are on a bigger bike at 100K/h and there is traffic all around you the condition of the road you are on suddenly becomes very important. (I never understood how the ones who build brand new roads can not even make them smooth for the first day they are in use!)

Bike
    Twowheeled
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    As a rider I tend to disagree with you. The surface of the NZ roads are often in poor condition. Holes, cracks, gravel, un-even surface, repaired road now with different type of surface, etc. Yes, we can adjust the speed and do courses to become better att judge the road conditions and what to do. If I was riding a 50cc scooter at 45K/h I would not worry too much. But when you are on a bigger bike at 100K/h and there is traffic all around you the condition of the road you are on suddenly becomes very important. (I never understood how the ones who build brand new roads can not even make them smooth for the first day they are in use!)
    I wonder how much consideration the roadbuilders give to whether a motorcycle will hit a bump just as they are clipping the apex of a corner? My guess is zero or close to it. And fair enough too.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how much consideration the roadbuilders give to whether a motorcycle will hit a bump just as they are clipping the apex of a corner? My guess is zero or close to it. And fair enough too.
    No, not "fair enough too". Their job should be to build good roads that can withstand abuse from drivers and that reduce the chance of an accident happening. But from what I have seen this might not be the case. I wonder if there is ever an inspection of the new road/the upgrade/the repair by the buyer (The government, and as they represent us that is actually us who are the customer...) and they get their fingers smacked for poor workmanship and are told to do it again??

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    On the major roads they need a faily humongous peice of machinery to compatact the tarmac and use the general traffic for this purpose. If they didn't the tar will just bubble up when it's hot and become slick. Down our way the local autyhorities aren't too bad wrt road repair. One thing has happened though. There've gone completely overboard wrt signage. One a straight clear peice of road you'll will see a road works sign for a 3mtr length of repair on one lane. Major road works around town are usually done through to night to get them sorted faster.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Zero

Most people building the roads dont ride bikes.
    As long as its within spec it's ok.
    Some take more care than others, but a lot of it comes down to the operators, more than the machines.
    A skilled team of operators on old gear will often outperform new guys on new gear.
    However some just tend to take shortcuts.

As to having general public iron out the roads. How much area do you think a car tyre covers over the width of the road. Sure it covers a general area but not across the whole lane.

The road were I live has a couple of piles of loose stone chip from about mid last years job. It didn't need doing but because it was a nice straight bit very low traffic it was an easy bit to do and cheap for the contractor who has to spend so much money for his contract. Not the curvey section down the road when needs major work.

I know some of these people and some ride bikes but you wouldn't think so.

there are also other factors such as underlying geology, springs, water flow, just like building house the foundations and what/where they sit on is important just as much as what they are made of.

Design, cost and availabilty of materials/machinery/location is important to due restriction of $$$

like traffic after Kaikoura, the roads weren’t designed for all of that traffic, my recent sojourn to the SI proved Mainlanders have much better roads than NI ones IMHO. +better views
    Last edited by eldog; 16th February 2020 at 02:34. Reason: foundations and what materials etc

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    ... One a straight clear peice of road you'll will see a road works sign for a 3mtr length of repair on one lane.
    And often ... only on one side of the road ...

But ... there were too many complaints of road repair done with no signage left to warn traffic. Signage then is left ... and still people complain. Go figure ...

The signs left by contractors have to be as per legal specified requirements ... otherwise somebodies ass (at management level) will be kicked ...

At Road crew level ... for those responsible for setting up the signs ... it's almost a bye bye job situation ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Sat through a traffic control course at one time. It ran for a week and you'd be surprised what is actaully involved. Distance for cones. signage, etc.
    It's more involved than most here probably realise. It's not just bloke with a stop/go sign. Like any good course it shows were to find the correct regs/references. And as with any good instructor you are given their details if you have any questions once the course is finished.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Just to add a thought to this.

People who have learnt to drive in a left hand drive car, and drive on the right side of the road, are used to doing right turns without have to give way to traffic coming towards them. I have had experience riding passenger in a car with a European who more than once just turned right, when oncoming traffic was present, even though driving correctly on the left side of the road. One of these occasions resulted in the on-coming car having its horn tooted loudly.

Remember this nasty crash out of Hamilton too? https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/672...kato-collision

The Americans just right turned in front of a truck. This is not simply a SMIDSY I reckon, because I think they see but, but don't react to the need to stop and stay stopped and not turn.
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information