Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    Would you be comfortable and trained enough in one hour to drive competently in Bangkok?
    Having driven around some of the most congested cities around the world, nothing can prepare you in a class room setting for this. NZ roads and traffic are actually fairly simple if one stays alert and between the designated lanes.

What will help is the attitude change. Not just with tourist drivers.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    And there boys and girls is the crux of the problem.....

No classroon needed.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Hanging them by the neck and then nailing them to a cross on the road coming out of Auckland airport as a warning to others might please some people but it will do absolutely nothing to prevent it happening again because it is not a conscious decision, it is reverting to instinct and you can’t stop that.
    what about the tourists that arrive in NZ at ChCh

Bike
    It was on the good
    So what's your solution? Or you believe it's not a problem worth worrying about.
    It is certainly a problem worth worrying about.

My first step would be to separate out the Chinese because they appear to exhibit genuinely poor driving behaviour that is resulting in unacceptable levels of road trauma.

Then you have to realise that you can’t engineer your way out of these issues because there is too much road and too little money. You can’t ban people from certain countries and testing them is pointless because a half hour drive around Auckland and a scratchy is not going to help assess how you cope with SH6 down the West Coast. There is going to be a reliance on technology and collision avoidance but until the real intelligent stuff starts making an appearance and all rental vehicles are required to have it there is going to be more carnage.

There is some small stuff that could be done, like a lot more roadside reminders for tourists. There is a Keep Left road sign now but they don’t have any on the tourist routes down south. Constant reminders and reminders at the right time and place can help reduce the chances of a driver pulling out on the wrong side of the road. Markings can guide them into the correct lane but this is only done at signals, perhaps have them at rest areas as well? There are painted arrows everywhere now but even these could be improved by angling them towards the correct lane.

There are little things like that but the reality will remain the same. At some point somewhere on their holiday they might make a mistake and the chances are most of the time they will get away with it. When they don’t it will be front page news because it is a bloody foreigner and New Zealand loves stuff like that. Not trying to belittle this serious issue, but if you are involved in a head on crash it is far more likely to be with a local.

The solution that will be foisted on us all is a blanket reduction in the speed limit on popular tourist routes to accommodate the shit driving that we all see but also to reduce the impact when a head on crash does occur.

Bike
    I believe the problem can't be legislated out or engineered out. Reducing speed limits unnecessarily simply frustrates drivers, who would then breach it anyway.

Big part of the problem with attitude is the fact that a lot of the tourists come off a long haul flight and start driving immediately. Body is tired, brain is sleep deprived, in a new environment, in an unfamiliar vehicle, on unfamiliar route. They all contribute. Worse part for me are camper drivers who have never driven anything heavier than a Corolla in their life before. They have no idea about the physics of how a much heavier vehicle behaves.

I never drive for at least 24 hours after a long haul flight. My brain needs to rest before I can use it again properly.

Same thing happens with local drivers who drive when they are either too tired or under the influence of a substance.

If someone goes and kills just themselves because they were idiots and wanted to drive when they shouldn't, fine by me - thanks for cleaning up the gene pool. Just don't harm other innocent people around you with your attitude.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I believe the problem can't be legislated out or engineered out. Reducing speed limits unnecessarily simply frustrates drivers, who would then breach it anyway.

Big part of the problem with attitude is the fact that a lot of the tourists come off a long haul flight and start driving immediately. Body is tired, brain is sleep deprived, in a new environment, in an unfamiliar vehicle, on unfamiliar route. They all contribute. Worse part for me are camper drivers who have never driven anything heavier than a Corolla in their life before. They have no idea about the physics of how a much heavier vehicle behaves.
    That wasn't the issue with the Moraki crash. Tourists (and Kiwi's) driving large unfamiliar vehicles, on unfamiliar roads ... in "Holiday Mode" ... when their only issue is their next scenic spot (wherever it pops up) or their intended destination.

They spend more time looking for (and at) things that are nowhere near or on the road itself. Signs to popular tourist spots are the thing they spend time looking for, and concentrating on.

Traveling slower means gaps in the traffic flow close quicker than they expect. Once they make the decision to turn ... they no longer watch the oncoming traffic. Their world is all that matters to them.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans

Arrow

Having driven around some of the most congested cities around the world, nothing can prepare you in a class room setting for this. NZ roads and traffic are actually fairly simple if one stays alert and between the designated lanes.

First... How does a kiwi driving sensabaly change their attude in order to stay alive due to the retarded fuck commi g at them on the wrong side of the Rd???

Class rooms... Shit to drum into them, only pull over to the left, roads are narrow and tight, do not drive to slow, do not stop on a fucking bridge resulting in a following bike having to swerve and end up head on dead... Indercate... And if the fucks don't understand English, get a bloody tour bus

I have to sit in classes and have the shit scared out of me regarding prosecution regarding occupational health and safety, as responsibilities with my job, it works so same for a temp nz licence
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    First... How does a kiwi driving sensabaly change their attude in order to stay alive due to the retarded fuck commi g at them on the wrong side of the Rd???
    That motorcyclist going at a rapid pace he/she/it had to cross the centre line to get around a corner?

Bike

Class rooms... Shit to drum into them, only pull over to the left, roads are narrow and tight, do not drive to slow, do not stop on a fucking bridge resulting in a following bike having to swerve and end up head on dead... Indercate... And if the fucks don't understand English, get a bloody tour bus

I have to sit in classes and have the shit scared out of me regarding prosecution regarding occupational health and safety, as responsibilities with my job, it works so same for a temp nz licence
    Most cars this pedal called brake, actually motorcycles have two of them. Second, driving to conditions.

Try taking an advance driver training course and see how it makes invisible hazards visible.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... So... If people aren't confident driving in NZ... Fucking DONT

They ARE ... and they DO.

Next solution please.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    This crash happened because the campervan was turning right across the south bound of traffic. Not just travailing on the wrong side of the road. In effect a slow moving road block.

The assumption that ALL traffic WILL give way to them as is legally required at ALL times ... is an assumption that must simply must change. It MAY happen ... SOMETIMES. Not always ... merely sometimes. Just being "In the Right" is no safety guarantee. EVER.

I have found it easier to assume they wont. No real surprise then if they don't. No confusion as to what I should do ... and I get to live a little longer if my caution is warranted.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    That motorcyclist going at a rapid pace he/she/it had to cross the centre line to get around a corner?
    THAT is a different situation to having another vehicle coming at you on your side of the road. Changing lanes to get around a corner is a different situation entirely.

It would be better to expect oncoming traffic in the lane (you are using) at any time. Relax and you die (maybe).

Rider choice. But too many die being "In the right" ... and MORE die being TOTALLY in the wrong.

Bloody cager's eh ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    So you made a clain without varifying it was true. Another example of a completely stupid statement from you.

Another explanation ???? and I may know a little more than you do of that event.

ps: you need spellcheck.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Most cars this pedal called brake, actually motorcycles have two of them. Second, driving to conditions.

Try taking an advance driver training course and see how it makes invisible hazards visible.
    look mate... iv been riding non stop since 1980... raced and rallyed over half a milion ks on two wheels... NOW im 1st to say the day you stop learning is the day you die...

for shits n giggles im gona take this personal and your gona get a dose of fuck you old cunt ranga... thats right from me... two fucking brakes aye no FUCKING SHIT ride to the conditions, your taking the bloody piss right...

last weekend I was well below the speed limit, well in my limits and well in the bikes... but when a on coming slit eyed cunt (hey if he was white kiwi id call him a wide eyed honky cunt) turns in front of me to park up and look at the view with not a cear in the world for any other fucker... and the slit eyed cunt behind him follows... thats just fucking bull shit.. and yes I was that close I no for fact their eyes looked closed... ohhh shit may be they were just well taned and he'd eyes closed... MY BAD
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Hey, I never said one can avoid every single shitty situation. Sometimes it just happens and there is nothing one can do about avoiding the idiots on road. My point is, don't generalise to tourists only because there are plenty of home-grown idiots out on the roads.

Thread Information